The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo Spare Wheel

+3
-mojo-
inspiredron
Tincataylor
7 posters

Go down

Nuevo Spare Wheel Empty Nuevo Spare Wheel

Post by Tincataylor Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I have read both the manuals for the Boxer and the one from AS regarding removal of the spare wheel from its carrier on my 2007 Nuevo 2 Berth EK, but I cannot make sense of either.  They both refer to some sort of winding mechanism that is accessed via removal of a rubber bung, but I have looked everywhere as well as crawling about underneath as far as is possible and I cannot see what they are on about.  Can someone please give me an idiots guide to spare wheel removal?

Tinca    frustrating
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 Berth

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Spare Wheel Empty Re: Nuevo Spare Wheel

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:46 pm

You should have a long black pentagonal section "key" in the jack box that sits under the passenger seat. That fits into the offside of the carrier and can be turned to lower it using the ratcet spanner that fits the jack.  The pentagonal section key is to fit the post recall spare wheel carriers. If yours is hexagonal then it has not been modified and you need to get it done FOC and ASAP by your Peugeot dealer.  There are two differences with the modified carrier - one is that the key is five sided rather than six sided and the other is that the hexagonal socket sticks out horizontally and needs an extension to be able to do the lowering without grovelling or maybe fouling the side of the van (the extension protrudes through a hole in the skirt (closed by a bung?) whereas the pentagonal one is angled downwards and misses the skirt.
Hope that helps.
PS  I have not tried it but was amused that A/S gave me the hexagonal siver coloured extension that does not fit the pentagonal socket!  hugegrins

Last edited by inspiredron on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added PS and typos)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:44 am

Many thanks for the detailed answer but I am still unable to make sense of it all.  The kit that came with the vehicle does indeed contain a silver hexagonal rod.  I have no idea if I have a modified carrier or not but what I do know is I have no idea where to stick the extension rod be it hexagonal or otherwise.  I have an oval hole (no grommet) in the O/S/R of the bodywork about 6" from the grey water drain cock, and I am assuming that this is where said rod needs to be inserted. There are no other access holes in the bodywork that I can see. The problem is that there is nothing near the spare wheel for it to engage with; its as if it has an entirely different set up.  The spare wheel is not in a cage type carrier that hinges down.  It seems to have a plate that utilises one or more of the wheel bolt holes but there is no access through the floor to get at the top side of it where one would expect to find some sort of lowering mechanism.

What would really help is if A/S included some graphics in the instruction manual.  I have gone to the trouble of purchasing a long wrench for wheel nut removal (the supplied equipment is useless) and a small trolley jack so that I can change a wheel myself if I find we are stranded in the wilds somewhere so I'm not giving up now.  I think I may have to take it to a garage so that they can work it out for me as its too low for me to be able to crawl about under there.

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Why don't you just phone up Autosleepers or one of their dealers and ask how it works? I can understand how on say a 20 year old van they might claim that they no longer have anyone present that can remember, but on a 2007 van I don't think they could reasonably refuse to tell you.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Tincataylor wrote:Many thanks for the detailed answer but I am still unable to make sense of it all.  The kit that came with the vehicle does indeed contain a silver hexagonal rod.  I have no idea if I have a modified carrier or not but what I do know is I have no idea where to stick the extension rod be it hexagonal or otherwise.  I have an oval hole (no grommet) in the O/S/R of the bodywork about 6" from the grey water drain cock, and I am assuming that this is where said rod needs to be inserted. There are no other access holes in the bodywork that I can see. The problem is that there is nothing near the spare wheel for it to engage with; its as if it has an entirely different set up.  The spare wheel is not in a cage type carrier that hinges down.  It seems to have a plate that utilises one or more of the wheel bolt holes but there is no access through the floor to get at the top side of it where one would expect to find some sort of lowering mechanism.

What would really help is if A/S included some graphics in the instruction manual.  I have gone to the trouble of purchasing a long wrench for wheel nut removal (the supplied equipment is useless) and a small trolley jack so that I can change a wheel myself if I find we are stranded in the wilds somewhere so I'm not giving up now.  I think I may have to take it to a garage so that they can work it out for me as its too low for me to be able to crawl about under there.

Tinca

Your description is the same as mine - oval hole and no grommet. I will have a look tomorrow and come back to you. BUT - if you only have the silver hexagonal key then your van has not had the recall modification! More tomprrow.

Male

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Spare Wheel Empty Nuevo/Inca spare wheel

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 pm

I have a 2007 Inca EK on a Boxer chassis. In looks, almost identical to a Nuevo.
My spare wheel arrangement is completely different to what is being described here, and quite fiddly/dirty.
With the mention of recalls, I'm wondering if my van was missed out - would anybody know?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:26 am

On quite a few Boxer models (not X/250s) you had to crawl under the van  and lower the wheel cradle down. The nuts got rusty if not lubricated and it can be a fiddly job
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:24 pm

inspiredron wrote:

Your description is the same as mine - oval hole and no grommet.  I will have a look tomorrow and come back to you.  BUT - if you only have the silver hexagonal key then your van has not had the recall modification!  More tomprrow.

OK - I have just looked under my Lancashire and here is a photo of what I can see:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sorry the photo is not very clear but in the middle you can see a circular cover secured by 4 screws.  To the right of that there is the socket which, on mine, takes the pentagonal section black rod.  That rod has a hexagon nut on the end that the supplied wheel brace will fit and is turned to lower the cradle - presumably there is a cable reel inside the circular cover.  When the pentagonal rod is put into the socket it slopes down a little towards the floor so that it clears the van's skirt, like this
And here are the three tools on the ground.  
They can all be found inside the jack container under the passenger seat.
I believe that the unmodified cradle has a hexagonal socket and that when the silver hexagonal rod is inserted it is horizontal and does not slope down - hence the hole in the skirt.  Because the Nuevo skirt is further from the cradle than a panel van skirt A/S supplied an extra long silver hexagonal rod so that you can turn the wheel brace from outside the skirt.

If yours looks different then I cannot help you.  Details of the X-250 spare carrier recall are certainly on the motorhome facts site and I think on this site as well.

This site has a reference [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by inspiredron on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added links to recall)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:30 pm

roli wrote:On quite a few Boxer models (not X/250s) you had to crawl under the van  and lower the wheel cradle down. The nuts got rusty if not lubricated and it can be a fiddly job

It is certainly fiddly, but I would hope to be able to get the spare off long before my nuts started to go rusty.  hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Inspiredron,

Once again many thanks for all the trouble you are taking.  Your photos are easy to understand and the device shown is exactly what I would have expected to find for the kit supplied to fit into to lower the wheel.  The problem I have is that there is no such device under my Nuevo.

I will of course be able to see exactly what is happening in a few weeks when I will have the camper up on a ramp in my local garage, and I will share the information with everyone else who I hope will find it useful.

I must say I am a little disappointed with A/S; is it too much to ask that a customer is able to change a wheel without all this hassle?

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionmike Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi,
    we have a 07 Nuevo, I had a look at the wheel removal, and tried it just to see how it all works. I have a similar "gearbox" under the van, using the long hex' rod, turned it anticlockwise and the wheel is lowered on a steel wire. It is very heavy! and you still have to get the wheel out from under the van.  Wouldn't like to do it in the rain!
We had this system checked out on a Peugeot recall, and have written confirmation that all is well.  
Hope this helps, Mike.
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm

This is what the 2011 Boxer looks like:

Socket extensions:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Which go in here:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The manual refers to a "Ratchet Wrench" but there is no such in the tool kit...

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 am

pjkxpjkx wrote:This is what the 2011 Boxer looks like:

Pete
Those are clearer photos of what I posted a couple of weeks ago of my 2012 Lancashire. You too have the modified winch with the black pentagonal key, not the silver hexagonal one.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Thu May 01, 2014 8:23 am

Pete

Pete,

Thank you for the photo's, but once again this bears no resemblance to the spare wheel carrier on our 2007 Nuevo and there is no "gearbox" arrangement.  It was interesting scrolling through the rest of your photos as you have a shot of a black circular disc with 3 hex drive bolts which also form part of my vehicle jack pack.....what are these for?

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 am

Tincataylor wrote:

Pete

Pete,

Thank you for the photo's, but once again this bears no resemblance to the spare wheel carrier on our 2007 Nuevo and there is no "gearbox" arrangement.  It was interesting scrolling through the rest of your photos as you have a shot of a black circular disc with 3 hex drive bolts which also form part of my vehicle jack pack.....what are these for?

Tinca

Not sure exactly how the black plate and bolts work but I understand that the plate is bolted to the alloy wheel with the three special bolts so that it can be secured in the spare wheel carrier. Apparently the steel spare does not need the plate but aan alloy wheel does!  scratch head 

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Ron,

The plot thickens as I have alloy wheels and so I would expect there to be an alloy wheel in the carrier although I suppose it might be a steel one if they were trying to save money.  Anyway I retire on May 16th and I will finally have time then to pop it up on a ramp and see exactly what is going on.  As no other Nuevo owners seem to be experiencing the same problem then it looks  like I'm on my own on this one, but I will post the results anyway as it may help someone in the future,

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Our 2011 Warwick Duo has alloy road wheels but a steel spare wheel.
As you guessed from the pictures, I already asked what the thing was in another post - thanks to Spospe for the answer:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 pm
pjkxpjkx wrote:
Question which I think someone has already posted about but | cannot find it...
This is in the tool kit ( 2011 Peugeot Boxer) but was is it? RTFM no help.

The bits in the tool kit form the adaptor to enable an alloy wheel to be winched up into the spare wheel storage position. In my opinion it will be easier to store a punctured wheel in the back, than mess about with the three bolts + the plate in order to take the tyre to be repaired. Unhelpfully, the driver's handbook makes no mention of this handy item, or its use.
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu May 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Tincataylor wrote:Ron,

The plot thickens as I have alloy wheels and so I would expect there to be an alloy wheel in the carrier although I suppose it might be a steel one if they were trying to save money.  Anyway I retire on May 16th and I will finally have time then to pop it up on a ramp and see exactly what is going on.  As no other Nuevo owners seem to be experiencing the same problem then it looks  like I'm on my own on this one, but I will post the results anyway as it may help someone in the future,

Tinca

I don't think any vehicle with alloy wheels ever has an alloy spare - it is invariably steel, maybe an undersize wheel with a 50mph speed limit or even just a can of pressurised gunk to seal the tyre to get you home and, in the process, render it unrepairable. You WILL have a steel full size spare on your Nuevo. Why not pop down to your friendly neighbourhood Peugeot garage and ask them how your spare works? If it is different from the norm it could present a problem for the breakdown service if you do haave a puncture.

Check this site:
It has details of the spare wheel recall and the VIN no's affected. Your vehicle is certainly in the date range. If the VIN is in therange of those affected then you MUST go to the Peugeot garage!

Male

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Spare Wheel Empty wheel jack box, 2007 Nuevo EK

Post by wal71 Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm

could the jack box be in the floor pan under the carpet where your feet go? i can't see anything actually under the seat as it is a swivel seat
wal71
wal71

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : NuevoEK

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 pm

If you look at the louvred front to the seat box it actually hinges down - the catch at the top is quite stiff. The jack box is then inside that seat box, held in place by a quarter turn catch on the left as you look at it.
At least that is how it is on my 2012 Euro V Boxer.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wal71 Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:31 pm

thanks, i'm pretty sure nothing is under there [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
wal71
wal71

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : NuevoEK

Back to top Go down