The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)

+10
jwells
Molly3
burlingtonboaby
Cymro
Richard G
steamdrivenandy
Eltel
Tinwheeler
Allan
Aj200
14 posters

Go down

Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)  Empty Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)

Post by Aj200 Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Hello ....Im new here and am a prospective Autosleeper owner ( hope thats allowed) 
Trying to get to grips with the various types of AS! Was originally looking at Symbol type but then realised that some overcab  ones were about same size eg. Nuevo. Hoping as from Monday 12 April there will be an opportunity to visit some retailers to have a look at options in real life. But there are a few questions I have that maybe someone here could help with? There are just two of us so no need for anything more than a 2 berth though wouldnt necessarily refuse a 4 berth but we dont need more than 2 belted seats. Looking to do some travel both in this country and Europe so want a diesel and also    a washroom cubicle. Looking at these two types of bodies is there a substantial difference in running costs ( mpg, tax, insurance?). What are the issues re height, length and width...thinking ferries but also everyday things like parking? Looking at prices currently I think we would need be be looking at 10- 20 yr old models. Quite like Peugots but but should we be looking at others? If so, any to avoid? I think that's enough for now but any buying advice is greatly appreciated ...used to have a caravan but slightly nervous about driving a van sized vehicle so must be well under 6 m. 
Thanks in advance:smile!:
Aj200
Aj200

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Looking for one
Vehicle Year : Looking

Back to top Go down

Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)  Empty Nuevo fan

Post by Allan Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Hi AJ200
re:your thoughts on getting a Symbol or a Nuevo type of AS, here are my thoughts (for what they're worth). I've had 2 Talismans over the years (similar layout to Nuevos, but no longer made), and always appreciated the overcab space (for chairs, groundsheets, etc.). We now have a Nuevo with an end kitchen (less than 6m. long - easy to park, cheap(er) on the ferries etc.), but I wish we'd gone for the 4 berth Nuevo with an overcab space. (still less than 6m. long) - also I miss having the the option of 4 belted seats for those occasions when you need to give someone a lift - ours can only carry the two of us. Having said all that, they're good - great design in the toilet/shower area. Good luck with your search - roll on "sites-open" day!
Allan
Allan

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Aj200 and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)  Empty Re: Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:53 pm

I can’t answer everything but their are definite advantages in getting a panel van conversion (PVC) such as the Symbol or Warwick. Mainly, the advantages are that they are narrower and easier to park, especially in towns. Also the metal sides are more robust which is an advantage, as is the lesser width, in narrow lanes where bits stick out of the hedges. They are also less prone to water ingress.

The PVCs do have overcab storage, although probably less than some overcab coachbuilt models. 

Road tax is around £265 p/a for all models (I think) until you get to the heavier models when it is less. There won't be any noticeable difference in running costs between PVCs and coachbuilt models. 

Ferries consider length and height when pricing your crossings and I’m sure someone will explain the charging on European toll roads to you.

If you towed a caravan, you’ll have no problem driving a van so get out there come Monday and have a good look at what's on offer and good luck with your search.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Aj200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)  Empty Re: Overcab (eg. Neuvo) or high top (eg. Symbol)

Post by Eltel Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Allan wrote:Hi AJ200
re:your thoughts on getting a Symbol or a Nuevo type of AS, here are my thoughts (for what they're worth). I've had 2 Talismans over the years (similar layout to Nuevos, but no longer made), and always appreciated the overcab space (for chairs, groundsheets, etc.). We now have a Nuevo with an end kitchen (less than 6m. long - easy to park, cheap(er) on the ferries etc.), but I wish we'd gone for the 4 berth Nuevo with an overcab space. (still less than 6m. long) - also I miss having the the option of 4 belted seats for those occasions when you need to give someone a lift - ours can only carry the two of us. Having said all that, they're good - great design in the toilet/shower area. Good luck with your search - roll on "sites-open" day!
I also have a Nuevo EK and wished I had gone for the overcab version and four seated belts 

But to change would cost far to much money.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Aj200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:44 pm

PVC's are narrower, but coachbuilts, like the Nuevo, are wider, which means more room inside widthways. A coachbuilt A/S is about 6ft 10ins wide, whilst a panel van conversion (PVC) like the Symbol is about 6ft 2ins wide. A Transit based PVC is about 5ft 10ins across and a VW Transporter around 5ft 6ins.

The Symbol PVC comes with 3 belted seats as standard and there are some ES versions (Extra Seat). Nuevo's come as standard with two seats but four seaters are available and more plentiful than Symbol 4 seaters. Nuevo's can be had with a low profile overcab area or with a large proboscis that contains two additional berths.

If anyone who is going to use the van is over 6ft tall you should be very careful in checking bed lengths. There's nothing worse than getting all excited about a van and then realising you've wasted your time because you can't fit in the beds. Ideally you need a bed to be at least 3ins longer than the person sleeping in it.

Some vans you can use the benches as singles and make them up into doubles, others they're only suitable for use as doubles. 

Small vans, whilst handy to park, can have space limitations and a lack of storage, which will limit what you can pack in. A fixed double bed usually provides lots of storage space underneath, for larger items like camping chairs, awnings, barbecues, fishing rods etc, etc. Those without such a storage space can get very cluttered or you have to forego the stuff you'd ideally want to take.

If you can, hold off buying this year as there's a big shortage of vans as they've become very popular due to covid and prices are about £5k above normal.

Be aware that vans of the sort of age you're thinking of will probably need constant expenditure as they age in order to keep them roadworthy.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Aj200 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aj200 Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies ...all good food for thought. 👍🏼
Aj200
Aj200

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Looking for one
Vehicle Year : Looking

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 pm

My Nuevo 2015 has the overcab double berth which i really like. We have 2 forward facing travelling seats so have choice of 2 singles or a double . I think the Nuevo without the overcab berth would seriously lack storage space, bedding would fill the under bed storage. It parks in the length of a carpark bay just, maybe does not so well on fuel consumption due to aerodynamics, (25 mpg average) and fits on drive easily.  A broadway is not much longer but dont know if it can have the overcab bunk.  I have a box on the back bike rack for outdoor chairs, BBQ etc so am all happy with my Nuevo!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 pm

I have the same van as Richrd G and same year. Endorse his views. Over cab can carry so much stuff (Duvalays, Cadac, Taylormade screen, coats needed frequently, etc) yet is great if grandchildren come with us. Bikes on rear lifting carrier; Lafuma chairs in N/S locker via external hatch (with 3mm to spare!). I get 26mpg according to the vehicle computer. All under 6m. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 am

Richard G wrote:My Nuevo 2015 has the overcab double berth which i really like. We have 2 forward facing travelling seats so have choice of 2 singles or a double . I think the Nuevo without the overcab berth would seriously lack storage space, bedding would fill the under bed storage. It parks in the length of a carpark bay just, maybe does not so well on fuel consumption due to aerodynamics, (25 mpg average) and fits on drive easily.  A broadway is not much longer but dont know if it can have the overcab bunk.  I have a box on the back bike rack for outdoor chairs, BBQ etc so am all happy with my Nuevo!
I looked for ages trying to find a suitable 4 berth Broadway EK within our price range and ended up with a Sigma, plenty of storage in the over cab area,however too narrow to get a large adult up unto, unlike the Nuevo EK Es we had previously.
Like others we like the Warwick duo, we have a Thule easy carrier back box fitted to the tow ball , this takes most of the extra crap we tend to drag around with us.
Have a nice day.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:35 am

I guess it boils down to:

If you travel light then Symbol

If you have to take lots of stuff, then Nuevo with large overcab

If you're only a twosome then either will do

If you are likely to be a threesome, then a Symbol, because ES Nuevo's are relatively thin on the ground, but you have to travel light and have a way of sleeping the third person.

If you're likely to be a foursome then Nuevo with ES and an overcab bed, though they may be hard to find.

If you need a slim van, then a Symbol.

If you're happy with a wide van, then Nuevo.

If you like the idea of opening up the van and sitting inside taking in a view through the wide doors etc then Symbol.

If you're happy to navigate a relatively narrow doorway on a fairly regular basis then a Nuevo.

If you want a slightly larger bathroom with a system to organise a shower space, without the dreaded shower curtain, then Nuevo
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Cymro and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 am

steamdrivenandy wrote:I guess it boils down to:

If you travel light then Symbol

If you have to take lots of stuff, then Nuevo with large overcab

If you're only a twosome then either will do

If you are likely to be a threesome, then a Symbol, because ES Nuevo's are relatively thin on the ground, but you have to travel light and have a way of sleeping the third person.

If you're likely to be a foursome then Nuevo with ES and an overcab bed, though they may be hard to find.

If you need a slim van, then a Symbol.

If you're happy with a wide van, then Nuevo.

If you like the idea of opening up the van and sitting inside taking in a view through the wide doors etc then Symbol.

If you're happy to navigate a relatively narrow doorway on a fairly regular basis then a Nuevo.

If you want a slightly larger bathroom with a system to organise a shower space, without the dreaded shower curtain, then Nuevo
Well said that man.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm

I had to make that decision nuevo or symbol  i chose nuevo because of  the space  and  comfort  symbol , has its own advantages being a smaller vehicle , the ultimate  decision  was made by  the wife .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by jwells Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 pm

We have had an Overhead Neuvo since Dec.2013, glad we decided on the overhead - not having to drag the bedding out every day, plenty of room to throw things out of the way!  Occasionally lift the bed up when on site for the extra space. Been all round europe and Morocco it worked for the two of us, and occasionally even entertained two other guests for the day! Of course it has to be your own choice, and you won't really know until you have tried one!!

shrugg
jwells
jwells

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK ES LT
Vehicle Year : ,2013

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 pm

I think the Nuevo without the overcab berth would seriously lack storage space, bedding would fill the under bed storage

Only if you get one of the newer ones with the stupid overcab sun roof (who at AS thought that up?) the older ones with the cupboard  gives plenty of room for pillows and duvet.

But I agree that the over cab beds - even if you dont intend using them for sleeping are a good idea  (I notice that if you are buying new AS offer the overcab as a no cost option!

some one said that they get 26MPG  - blimey I get 33MPG slightly more on motorways if it dropped below 30 I would be looking for the reason why.

The Nuevo is a great little motorhome - and before they started messing with it it was even better - try finding a motorhome of similar size with a bathroom as good
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 am

I can't explain why but the current design overcab bed exterior design strikes me as pug ugly (with apologies to pugs). It just lacks visual finesse and doesn't chime with the rest of the van's lines. I know it's difficult to craft something so big into a thing of beauty but I sort of expect A/S to produce an overcab extension along more automotive lines.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am

I'll add my vote for the over-cab bed coach built. If you're looking at 10 to 20 year old models don't forget that as well as the Nuevo there are others, like our Pollensa, that have over cab bed spaces. 
We use ours as a massive storage space: duvet, pillows, etc., plus spare clothing is laid out up there, it's light stuff, but bulky, otherwise the lockers and cupboards would be full of bedding. 
Good luck with van hunting!
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:53 am

Ditto for the over cab bed.  we have an older version of the nuevo, we did try both sleeping up there but I found it claustrophobic - it's not possible to sit up - but my husband likes it so he sleeps there and I use the off side bench with the driver's seat pushed forward and the gap filled with the end arm rest and cushions (better than using the seat).  As I am only 5ft that suits me fine.    we then swivel the passenger seat and use the nearside as a single seat with a table between them which we leave up while on site.   Grandchildren have slept up top and loved it.

The turning circle of the van is as good as a car, a great improvement on towing!  The only bugbear is the height when it comes to cleaning the roof.   ercab
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:22 am

It's funny that you should say that the swivelled seat is an issue for comfort and that you employ something else instead. I can understand the need as the side benches are just 4ft 6ins long and even at 5ft tall you need about 9ins more bed to be comfortable.

We've had two vans where we've used swivelled seats and found that because it's the feet, rather than shoulders or hips that are on the seat cushion, we don't even notice that the surface isn't flat. So much so that we don't even bother using the infill cushions that are offered to level the seat up. Mind you, perhaps it's because we use Duvalays that have a topper built in that means it's more comferable.NB not a spelling mistake but a word that sounds softer and  infers comfortability much better than comfort which has a hard 't'.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Slow-Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 am

Hi AJ200, I've had both of these vans in recent years although my symbol was not the current version but the previous one. I would reccomend either. We changd from the Symbol as we were finding space a bit of an issue in some circumstances. Typically when having to grovel on the floor e.g.accessing floor level cupboards at the back and brushing the floor: There is not room to turn round when you''re at floor level. My wife had to have a hip replacement and was beginning to find getting in and out of the van a bit difficult. I've also had a Talisman with an overcab bed and used with and without occupents also had Rmblers with and without the extra bed space, yes the space is great for storage but we find the Nuevo without this storage still has enough for our needs, One under seat area holds our bedding including a mattress topper, pillows, sleeping bags and extra blankets for cold nights. This leaves you all the other storage for everything else. Of course the more storage space you have the better. Work what you need to have with you and see if you think it will fit.
Bet wishes in your search for your perfect camper. I doubt you'll be disappointed with an Autosleeper I never have been but there's good nd bad in all vans.
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down