The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera

5 posters

Go down

Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera Empty Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera

Post by Martin Ballantyne Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I have an Aguri Sat Nav which came with a Wifi rear camera. There only needs to be a power connection.

I suspect the "normal" mounting point for the bracket (two small bolts) and camera would be the roof. However, a couple of Auto Electricians have said they wouldn't want to fit it as it is likely the fitting could damage the integrity of the damproofing and,to be honest, they've had a problem with people coming back to them in the past where this has been a problem with motorhomes they've worked on. I can understand this as the only potential dampness problem which our habitation check discovered was where the TV ariel had been fitted post sale though this was very slight and easily rectified.

Has anyone on the forum fitted a rear camera to a Pollensa? Have you experienced any problems?

I'm considering a couple of alternatives. The first is fitting on the rear bumper. The second is fitting the camera internally. The Pollensa, of course has a rear window and fitting the camera internally on the bracket at the top of the window could work. 
I'd welcome any advice.

Thanks,

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera Empty Re: Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:02 pm

if your rear valance is the same as the early Nuevo, I fitted mine in the step well
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Ballantyne Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 am

Thanks Caslon......my rear vallance has the step well like yours. It looks to be the ideal spot with the rear light cluster and numberplate lights nearby. My camera is similar to yours but with a small wifi ariel which should fit in no problem. 

Many thanks for the photo .

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am

I installed a rear dashcam in my Pollensa, just using its sucker base fitting on the rear window and running the connection from the 12V supply to the refrigerator which of course only comes on when the engine is running, as desired.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Ballantyne Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am

That's a neat idea Roger using the 12v supply to the fridge. Was it easy to access and did you just run the cable across the back of the motorhome when on the move (and just remove the cable and camera at other times) or did you "plumb in" the cable?

Thanks for the advice.

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm

On our Pollensa we have a reversing camera fitted quite high up, above the kitchen window. The cable enters the cabin through the back of the cupboard above the cooker. It gives an excellent view of the back of the van, including the bike rack, which is very handy. The camera was fitted before I bought the van and the installation isn't very neat (cable inside the cupboard could be a lot neater), but it works and - so far - it hasn't leaked. Happy to send a picture or two if it's any help.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Martin Ballantyne wrote:That's a neat idea Roger using the 12v supply to the fridge. Was it easy to access and did you just run the cable across the back of the motorhome when on the move (and just remove the cable and camera at other times) or did you "plumb in" the cable?

Thanks for the advice.

Martin
Hi Martin

I plumbed it in permanently. Drilled a hole to bring it through from behind the fridge, then ran it in the corner inside some small white plastic conduit, then behind the upholstered trim at the top - you can see one bit of the black wire in the corner which I didn't bother to cover, then it's tucked behind the cupboard surround to come out from above where the dashcam mount goes. I just unclip the dashcam and unplug the cable when I want to close the blind/flyscreen, the mount stays in position. 

I'm trying to post some pictures for you but the hosting system on here keeps turning them sideways so they don't make any sense, also limits the number (only trying to post 4!)   I'll try fiddling with them here and post in a while if I can.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:52 pm

rogerblack wrote:
Martin Ballantyne wrote:That's a neat idea Roger using the 12v supply to the fridge. Was it easy to access and did you just run the cable across the back of the motorhome when on the move (and just remove the cable and camera at other times) or did you "plumb in" the cable?

Thanks for the advice.

Martin
Hi Martin

I plumbed it in permanently. Drilled a hole to bring it through from behind the fridge, then ran it in the corner inside some small white plastic conduit, then behind the upholstered trim at the top - you can see one bit of the black wire in the corner which I didn't bother to cover, then it's tucked behind the cupboard surround to come out from above where the dashcam mount goes. I just unclip the dashcam and unplug the cable when I want to close the blind/flyscreen, the mount stays in position. 

I'm trying to post some pictures for you but the hosting system on here keeps turning them sideways so they don't make any sense, also limits the number (only trying to post 4!)   I'll try fiddling with them here and post in a while if I can.
OK, here's two of the pics - hopefully this will work:

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:53 pm

and here are the other two:

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:32 pm

On a slightly related topic, the screen for our reversing camera, which is mounted on the dashboard, has the disconcerting tendency to turn itself on at random moments as we drive. I've never found out what causes it, neither could an auto electrician, but it seems to occur mainly when slowing down (braking?) and indicating left. It's not a big deal, and easy to turn the display off; just another idiosyncrasy of our van.
If anyone has any ideas about how to resolve the problem I'd be very interested to hear.
Otherwise I'm thinking of taking the entire camera and screen out and replacing it with a Camos "jewel" rear view/reversing camera with a monitor mounted on the rear view mirror.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Ballantyne Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks for the advice and photographs Roger. That let's me see exactly how I could do it.

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Ballantyne Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks Slow-Lane. I now know I have three workable options. Where does your power supply come from?

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:11 pm

Martin Ballantyne wrote:Thanks Slow-Lane. I now know I have three workable options. Where does your power supply come from?

Martin
Power comes from wiring/fuses behind the dashboard, to the camera, and then to the rear view camera.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:53 pm

Slow-Lane wrote:On a slightly related topic, the screen for our reversing camera, which is mounted on the dashboard, has the disconcerting tendency to turn itself on at random moments as we drive. I've never found out what causes it, neither could an auto electrician, but it seems to occur mainly when slowing down (braking?) and indicating left. It's not a big deal, and easy to turn the display off; just another idiosyncrasy of our van.
If anyone has any ideas about how to resolve the problem I'd be very interested to hear.
Otherwise I'm thinking of taking the entire camera and screen out and replacing it with a Camos "jewel" rear view/reversing camera with a monitor mounted on the rear view mirror.
Check the earth connection of the light where you are picking up power. If that is dodgy then the earthing of lights on that side is going via the brake lights or tail lights and across to the earth on the other side of the vehicle. Happens a lot on Caravans - signal left and left indicator appears normal ( just a tad dim perhaps). Brake for the turn and left flasher goes out while brake lights pulse and right indicator flashes. ALWAYS check 2 sets of lights together to show up that type of fault that easily occurs on.vehicles without a full earth path.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Slow-Lane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:59 am

Thanks Ron, that's very helpful. I hadn't thought about it being an earthing issue.  I'll get an assistant to help check the lights etc.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Ballantyne Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:32 am

Thanks to everyone who responded. It was great to hear how others had approached this.

Caslon, I've gone with your solution which seemed to be the most straightforward and fitted the camera in the stairwell.

Martin
Martin Ballantyne
Martin Ballantyne

Male

Back to top Go down

Pollensa : Fitting a rear camera Empty Camera

Post by jolmartyn Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm

I have fitted a camera. Quite high up, on top kitchen window. Lots of sealant. Lead through nearside cupboard - feed taken dashboard.
jolmartyn
jolmartyn

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down