The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuses problem

4 posters

Go down

Fuses problem Empty Fuses problem

Post by Kevjay Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Just want to share our experience in our new (to us) Nuevo ES 08 van. During the night of our first trip away most of the electrics failed and the display indicated that numerous fuses had blown. It didn’t seem likely that so many fuses had blown simultaneously. When I checked I found that none of the fuses had failed but four of the twelve fuses were loose and clearly not making contact. After refitting all was working again. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? Not sure how they became detached.
Kevjay
Kevjay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Es
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Fuses problem Empty Re: Fuses problem

Post by Roopert Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:18 am

That's very odd - a 2008 van would certainly have blade type (ATOF) fuses, and I've never come across a situation where one has vibrated loose. I think the most likely explanation is that they have been removed for some reason and not properly replaced.

Can you confirm that now you have reinstalled them they are a good, tight fit? If they are not then that may cause problems in future.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Kevjay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 pm

Had a 2008 model a few years ago and had a similar but intermitent problem. Investigation revealed the contacts for one fuse were loose (the gap was too big) and the fuse lost contact, especially on our wonderful smooth roads ! Tightened the contacts with pliers - job done.
Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

mikethebike and Kevjay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevjay Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks for your replies Roopert and Streetglider. Yes I removed tested and refitted all the fuses securely. I can only assume that they’d been incorrectly reinserted during servicing. It may be wise to check them periodically but surely auto fuses are designed to cope with vibration. It’s all a learning curve for me as we’ve taken a step up from a camper van to our first MH, so really appreciate all the advice on here.
Kevjay
Kevjay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Es
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:58 pm

I made the mistake of buying cheap blade fuses on eBay and found they were a loose fit in the fuseholders of Sargent’s EC155 power supply. The blades were too thin to achieve an adequate interference fit and were utterly useless. In a worst case they could result in localised overheating or arcing and be a fire risk.

It was a false economy and I now buy fuses direct from Sargent or from a recognised supplier. This may be a sweeping generalisation but from my experience and that of others I’ve read about, the fuses with translucent (rather than solid colour) cases invariably are the offending ones.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Paramedic likes this post

Back to top Go down