The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto sleepers voted the best

+15
Peter Brown
inspiredron
Cymro
Kdc
groundhog
streetglider
rgermain
RCBirmingham
shipbadger
Bobskate
burlingtonboaby
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
RogerThat
glyne lock
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Auto sleepers voted the best Empty Auto sleepers voted the best

Post by glyne lock Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:09 pm

Auto sleepers voted the best 8282da10
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers voted the best Empty Re: Auto sleepers voted the best

Post by RogerThat Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm

By whom?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Sheesh!  yikes
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:32 pm

at this moment I cant say as an owner I think them are the best .its posted on page 37 dec caravan and motorhome club magazine as Paul has said
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:34 pm

The magazine link is from January, they've been using the 'title' ever since.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:42 pm

was that not for 2019 it now says 2020 as well in the picture
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:52 pm

glyne lock wrote:was that not for 2019 it now says 2020 as well in the picture

The article is dated 13January and the text says awards for 2020.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:18 am

If you had the money,would you buy another??
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 am

I often smile at some of these ‘awards’. For example every dealer seems to have either have a gold or silver award for ‘Dealer of the year’. If you delve a bit, and it takes some doing, you will see that it is in fact the case. Everyone’s a winner. The same applies to award winning ice cream or sausages.....by whom? Let’s not go there as it’s drifting off topic!
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:If you had the money,would you buy another??
Boaby
If asking myself boaby I only got a kemerton for the lay out  I wanted and only is similar on only a  Devon conversions We wanted a separate shower is a must for our use.with all the problems from the build on my van that I have. some faults a lot of people may had never seen but from doing the mods I have done when you take items apart find more faults I would say no at the moment .when I get my van back from Autosleeper and they have completed the work I maybe able to say yes .warranty should be for items that go wrong and not poor build and damaged items

Last edited by glyne lock on Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:25 pm

OK, I,ll put my hand up.  I completed the survey online.  I,m also on my second A/S.  Wasn't disappointed with the first so happy to  buy (secondhand) again.  Perhaps as they are second hand you expect the odd failure after a decade or more of use.

Tony Comber

Last edited by shipbadger on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling my name correctly!)
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Glyne, we have loved our A/S vans , firstly our 59 Symbol, great wee van, loved the conversation,however wanted something bigger to say out longer, then came the Nuevo Ek es, lovely habitation until the leaks started.
Would have loved a 09/10 4 berth Broadway  , unfortunately was out our pay grade, purchased a Sigma, disappointed with the hard beds and seats .
I fell in love with Paul's Sussex when he came to Bridington and funny enough a 12 reg appeared in a local dealership, viewed it and nearly went for it.
Fortunately another Warwick Duo came on the forum days later and I purchased this from Herbert in Filey, it's a lovely van ,but not the same build quality as earlier A/S vans. IMO it's an Autotrail with A/S logos.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi boaby
My tv aerial is cracked  my heater has an outlet pipe that’s cracked my step panel was miss place so they drilled more holes but is still not secured in the correct position .the damaged items are from fitting them with power tools ? for speed and over tightening cracks the items as RV found broken off screw heads when he wired up his mppt solar controller . I can’t believe they don’t have templates so the step base and wooden top are all fitted the same this is the step with the waste of money blue lights in it
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBirmingham Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 am

Given the sheer amount of stuff I have had to have repaired on my brand new Broadway, I seriously think they need to maybe review their quality statement.. I was at the point of rejecting the vehicle.. it's been back to AS 4 times in total and once to the dealer, all in the first 4 months, only now do I have a vehicle as it SHOULD have left the factory.. Got to say the guys in the service centre have been good, think they have been * Inappropriate Word * off at the amount of rectification work they have had to do!!
RCBirmingham
RCBirmingham

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 am

RCBirmingham wrote:Given the sheer amount of stuff I have had to have repaired on my brand new Broadway, I seriously think they need to maybe review their quality statement.. I was at the point of rejecting the vehicle.. it's been back to AS 4 times in total and once to the dealer, all in the first 4 months, only now do I have a vehicle as it SHOULD have left the factory.. Got to say the guys in the service centre have been good, think they have been * Inappropriate Word * off at the amount of rectification work they have had to do!!
Let's hope they give the factory some feedback.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 am

I think the comment from shipbadger about buying secondhand is right.  We're on our third Nuevo, each one bought two years old, and we've had very few problems. All the PDI niggles have been sorted prior to our purchase.
Perhaps we've just been lucky - hope so !

Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:31 am

Bought ours new because of the mercedes chassis (brilliant) and the layout, nothing else. First autosleeper but have owned Autocruise, Bessacarr x 2 and Laika vans previously. Is the Autosleeper the best? It is as good as the best but no better than the worst, to be honest compared to the build quality of yachts we have owned none of them were brilliant. I would say the Autosleeper came from the factory with more faults but has had arguably fewer over 8 years of ownership since.

You can't have a vehicle subject to the rigours of modern travel built down to a weight and cost and expect perfection. 

Would I buy a new one. Unless some great new innovation comes along what is the point.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 am

“Potentially motorhomes of excellence” I could go along with!.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:53 am

My wife and I have bought 3 new Autosleepers.

The first, in 1988, was a VHT based on a VW transporter with sliding door. It was built very well. The only problems were on the VW side (new exhaust; rust; etc). We kept it for 10 years.

Being impressed with Autosleepers, we then bought a Clubman in 1998. Again, the build quality was every bit as good as the 1988 VHT. The Clubman was a step-up: WC & bathroom; hot water system; monocoque construction. A great motorhome, built with real wood. We kept it for 17 years.

In 2015 we bought another new AS (our current NuevoES). Again, that was a step up, although some fittings, materials and designs are poor: Hartal door; Thetford stove; non-robust table-top, etc. We had Peugeot problems (dashboard display; engine into limp mode on motorway; etc). And AS build problems (rear-end needed respray because of bubbles in paintwork; water leaking into unsealed lockers; LED mood lights failing; etc ). Those were sorted under warranty - but that entailed several trips to Willersey.

By now I hope all is well; certainly the last few years have been trouble free (apart from minor little things which even an incompetent like me can fix, such as screws working loose etc. I still return after a trip with a little list of things to fix.)

Conclusion: Although we're of that age that we probably won't buy another motorhome; were I to do so I would next time probably go German. I'm sure that they too are built to a budget - but their designs and materials seem to be better.
It'll be interesting to read of the experiences of those who've bought new Autosleepers after the take-over of the company.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 pm

We had a number of issues with our new Lancashire but, after 2 trips to Marquis and 2 more to Wilersey all was sorted out.  We've had a couple of Peugeot issues but can't blame A/S for those.  Would I buy another?  Not applicable as I'm 80 this year and this one should last me out.  However, with the issues that others report I would examine new ones in the dealers VERY carefully if I was considering another.  Our previous Hymer was better quality finish and had no problems of design (a water level system that worked and drainage through decent size pipe particularly). And now that Mark has left Willersey I would not have my previous confiedene intheir competence.
But - I am content with what I have got now after solving the issues and making a few improvements.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Cymro and RML like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:20 pm

groundhog wrote:

You can't have a vehicle subject to the rigours of modern travel built down to a weight and cost and expect perfection. 

Would I buy a new one. Unless some great new innovation comes along what is the point.

I totally agree with the above.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:36 pm

Cymro wrote:
It'll be interesting to read of the experiences of those who've bought new Autosleepers after the take-over of the company.

Cymro

There have been several take-overs, which one is of specific interest Cymro?

The last change of operational management was in 2009 when two existing employees, Geoff Scott and Mike Crouch bought from the Italian SEA group.

In 2013 the owner of Trigano bought an interest in the company and in 2017 he increased that investment to take a majority interest - as he had done with Auto-Trail.

There have been so significant changes in Senior management roles since 2009 so I'm assuming that is the date in question.

Certainly the low point in quality of build was circa 2005 and compared to todays vans these were very basic motorhomes that weren't built very well.  Circa 2008 the senior design and operational managers were replaced and the manufacturing team has been stable since then.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:01 pm

For me, one factor in buying a van is the dealership. We've used Derby Motorhomes for our last two vans and have been very satisfied but they are solely Auto-Sleepers. 
I have become interested for the future in the AutoTrail Expedition. I realise it has many downsides (except  cost) but one factor (though not the overriding one) is the dealerships available to me at a reasonable distance. They would be Brownhills, Don Amott, and Marquis in South Yorkshire for Autotrail. 
Though I can do 'bits' on a van I am nowhere near as handy or knowledgeable as many members here,  so a reasonably close dealership is important.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm

rgermain wrote:
RCBirmingham wrote:Got to say the guys in the service centre have been good, think they have been * Inappropriate Word * off at the amount of rectification work they have had to do!!
Let's hope they give the factory some feedback.
----------
Richard
Regrettably Richard, that's one of the reasons (the excellent) Mark Burdett resigned as Service Manager.

Living nearby I got to know him quite well, and for years he tried to feed back useful information to the factory, all based on his first hand experience of common faults and fixes that were constantly required.

He was totally ignored!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Cymro and Paramedic like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next