The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin traffic information users

+2
FreelanderUK
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

Garmin traffic information users Empty Garmin traffic information users

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:37 pm

This message is on Garmin's website.....

Dear Customer,

Garmin would like to inform you that that the Garmin Digital Traffic service for the United Kingdom will cease to exist as from 30th June 2021 due to the current service provider discontinuing the service. Whilst any compatible Garmin device will continue to receive traffic updates via the RDS-TMC provider after this date, Garmin would recommend users to take advantage of our Live Traffic service to ensure they are receiving the most comprehensive coverage and updated traffic information possible.

Below is a FAQ which will answer the most common questions our customers may have. If you have any further queries, then please contact the Product Support team who will be happy to assist.

How is Garmin Live Traffic different to Garmin Digital Traffic?
Garmin Live Traffic utilises the user’s smartphone data connection to offer the most comprehensive traffic coverage and up to date traffic information. They can expect even more road coverage and more frequent traffic updates which will further optimise their navigation experience.

How do I get Garmin Live Traffic?
Simply download and install either the Garmin Smartphone Link app or the Garmin Drive app depending on what Garmin device you have and then pair to the compatible Garmin device. Follow the links above to check device compatibility. Once connected you will gain access to Garmin Live Services which includes:

Garmin Live Traffic - Garmin Live Traffic provides the best-in-class real-time information that is updated every two minutes
Local Weather Information – Current localised weather, temperature and forecasts
Live Parking – Reduce the stress of finding a parking space with Live On-Street Parking information and parking space availability trends.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

RML and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Garmin traffic information users Empty Re: Garmin traffic information users

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks for this post, I use Garmin sat nav a lot

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 pm

Thanks for that news, Paul.

As far as I understand it, it seems to suggest that to continue to receive information on my Garmin such as traffic delay ahead of 5 minutes, and "You are on the fastest route" etc I have to couple my telephone - and therefore use my data allowance to receive that which my Garmin device formerly received free.

That's disappointing. if I'm correct. I wonder if that breaches a promise of lifetime traffic news etc with which it was advertised? No doubt there was a comprehensive wriggle-out clause.....

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:21 pm

The get out clause is in their FAQ's...

"The reverse side of the packaging states that Lifetime traffic extends for the useful life of the Garmin traffic receiver or as long as Garmin receives traffic data from its traffic supplier, whichever is shorter. Further details can be found at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] In this specific case the traffic data will no longer be made available from the service provider. The device will continue to receive traffic information via the RDS-TMC provider and for further optimised traffic reporting then Garmin Live Traffic is also available to you via the Garmin Smartphone Link and Garmin Drive app."

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks very much Paul - first class research and service!  

If henceforth it will eat into my phone's data allowance, how can I find out the extent of that, I wonder. Is it hungry, or negligible?  Obviously it'll depend on the time during which it's operational, but I've no feel for the rate at which it'll use my phone's data. As it happens, my data allowance (2GB per month) is hardly touched in a normal month of phone usage, but I don't want to have to end up paying for extra data if the Garmin is greedy - such as when on holiday in the van, when the Garmin is used extensively.

Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Also answered in their FAQ's...

"The amount of mobile data used by SmartphoneLink and Drive apps are generally minimal but varies depending on a variety of factors such as:

Time used with the automotive device
Amount of reported traffic information
In most situations, 2 MB of data per hour of active use with an automotive device is a reasonable estimate for data usage. For example, if the device is used 5 days a week on a 30-minute commute each way, both the SmartphoneLink and Drive apps would use about 40 MB of data per month."

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Cymro wrote:Thanks very much Paul - first class research and service!  

If henceforth it will eat into my phone's data allowance, how can I find out the extent of that, I wonder. Is it hungry, or negligible?  Obviously it'll depend on the time during which it's operational, but I've no feel for the rate at which it'll use my phone's data. As it happens, my data allowance (2GB per month) is hardly touched in a normal month of phone usage, but I don't want to have to end up paying for extra data if the Garmin is greedy - such as when on holiday in the van, when the Garmin is used extensively.

Cymro

Cymro
We too use a Garmin so will be in the same boat. On a trip to Somerset recently it saved us hours of traffic queues by alerting us to an M5 closure so we’ll miss it.

Our phone contracts-sim only - had 4gb per month and was due for renewal. I did an online chat with Three and managed to get 12GB for the same price I was paying for 4GB. Like you we hardly ever use it whilst at home, but use it a lot when travelling. Looks like it might come in handy soon.

Thanks for the info Paul.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Yes indeed, thanks for all your info, Paul.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:18 am

I use the Garmin but I also run either maps.me, which doesn't use data, or Google maps, which does and both have traffic, on a tablet fitted to the dashboard.  
Rich.
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 pm

This may not relate to my Garmin but but not being very tech savvy I have a Nuvi 57 LM. Even thought I update it occasionally it still thinks there are roadworks on the A180 with 50 mph speed restrictions. They were finished nearly two years ago.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down