The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 nights only on CS in October

+7
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
breakaleg
IanH
bikeralw
Paulmold
Sally
11 posters

Go down

2 nights only on CS in October Empty 2 nights only on CS in October

Post by Sally Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm

I had an overnight stay at Scarborough C&CC cancelled due to it being flooded.  So mid morning I rang around and contacted a CS just outside Scarborough.  This was 10.30 am on a Thursday for that night.  The owner said she had spaces but there was a 2 night rule.  So I simply chose another site and stayed 1 night there.

I know it’s up to business owners to decide their own rules, but I’m just trying to understand why businesses that must have struggled this year insist on rules in October, mid week, on the day of booking when they have spaces, that cost them money.

Very strange.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

2 nights only on CS in October Empty Re: 2 nights only on CS in October

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Yes I agree that in what is a tough year I also can't understand some business' thinking. In our town there are a couple of new businesses that only opened in July and have signs in their window 'closed for annual holiday'. That's strange enough but I wonder where they've gone to (especially as we are in lockdown here). Don't they want to actually make some money?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I've never understood why a two night rule is still in place out of season.
We use our van primarily for touring the continent, moving on more or less daily. I've never yet come across a site abroad that has a two night rule out of season. I couldn't comment on rules in high season as we don't tour then.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:35 pm

We had been pub stopping for a few nights and needed to empty the toilet cassette.
I rang 3 different campsites locally , offering to pay whatever they wanted, all 3 told me the only way it could be done was to book a one night stay and do it whilst there!
Why, asked I, when you'll be paid anyway and if so, no loss to you?
All to do with Covid they said, won't write my response to this or I'll be in trouble, again!!
scratch head scratch head shrugg
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:23 am

We tried to book just one night on a C&CC site to be told that you can't book just one night on a weekend as it was a Friday night I though it a little odd.
We didn't stop, can't help feeling that if the site was say, three quarters full that they could make a pitch available for one night? 
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:20 pm

breakaleg wrote:We tried to book just one night on a C&CC site to be told that you can't book just one night on a weekend as it was a Friday night I though it a little odd.
We didn't stop, can't help feeling that if the site was say, three quarters full that they could make a pitch available for one night? 
Pete
Generally, if you ring on the day you can get in. 

I've seen their sites only part full at weekends and I feel some flexibility over the minimum stay would have seen more pitches occupied.  shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Sally wrote:I had an overnight stay at Scarborough C&CC cancelled due to it being flooded.  So mid morning I rang around and contacted a CS just outside Scarborough.  This was 10.30 am on a Thursday for that night.  The owner said she had spaces but there was a 2 night rule.  So I simply chose another site and stayed 1 night there.

I know it’s up to business owners to decide their own rules, but I’m just trying to understand why businesses that must have struggled this year insist on rules in October, mid week, on the day of booking when they have spaces, that cost them money.

Very strange.
Just to clarify, is that a general rule for all CSs or one imposed by that particular one off their own back?
I'm sure we've stayed for only one night on CS/CLs before but not for a couple of years.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:09 pm

rogerblack wrote:
Sally wrote:I had an overnight stay at Scarborough C&CC cancelled due to it being flooded.  So mid morning I rang around and contacted a CS just outside Scarborough.  This was 10.30 am on a Thursday for that night.  The owner said she had spaces but there was a 2 night rule.  So I simply chose another site and stayed 1 night there.

Very strange.
Just to clarify, is that a general rule for all CSs or one imposed by that particular one off their own back?
I'm sure we've stayed for only one night on CS/CLs before but not for a couple of years.
I can only assume it’s individually managed, as the next CS I rang was perfectly happy for me to stay just one night.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:00 pm

"I can only assume it’s individually managed, as the next CS I rang was perfectly happy for me to stay just one night."

Ah, OK thanks, that's good to know.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:00 am

I think it must be an individual site decision which in high season and on high overhead sites would be understandable at weekends but can’t see why midweek. We have our own MCC CL (non members welcome) near Filey and we’ve never considered having a two night rule. Especially in these hard times when poor souls are trying to get away restoring some semblance of normality to their lives.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:15 am

Jaytee wrote:I think it must be an individual site decision which in high season and on high overhead sites would be understandable at weekends but can’t see why midweek. We have our own MCC CL (non members welcome) near Filey and we’ve never considered having a two night rule. Especially in these hard times when poor souls are trying to get away restoring some semblance of normality to their lives.
I didn’t know the CLs (and presumeably CS too) took non members. Is that quite common or is it just you?
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 am

Sally wrote:
Jaytee wrote:I think it must be an individual site decision which in high season and on high overhead sites would be understandable at weekends but can’t see why midweek. We have our own MCC CL (non members welcome) near Filey and we’ve never considered having a two night rule. Especially in these hard times when poor souls are trying to get away restoring some semblance of normality to their lives.
I didn’t know the CLs (and presumeably CS too) took non members. Is that quite common or is it just you?
Only MCC, Motor Caravanners Club CL’s. C&CC and C&MHC are members only. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am

Sally wrote:
I have always been asked membership No. when booking CLs, don't use CSs although we are members.

Maybe some are more relaxed or just don't stick to the rules and out to make a few extra bob when bookings are low.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:34 am

Jaytee wrote:
Sally wrote:
Only MCC, Motor Caravanners Club CL’s. C&CC and C&MHC are members only. allthumbz
Ah ha.  up!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Jaytee wrote:
Sally wrote:
Do you serve scones too John.  hugegrins   ,nice to see you.   up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 pm

rgermain wrote:
Sally wrote:
I have always been asked membership No. when booking CLs, don't use CSs although we are members.

Maybe some are more relaxed or just don't stick to the rules and out to make a few extra bob when bookings are low.
-----------
Richard
We stick ‘rigidly’ to the rules and site licensing requirements.  In fact to ensure extra compliance with COVID-19 we are only allowing two units on site at any one time even though we have plenty of space.  The Motor Caravanners Club CL’s are fully legal and licensed for non members.  Definitely one of the more ‘friendly clubs’  allthumbz hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Sorry Jaytee but the MCC are (knowingly) breaking the law by allowing none members onto their para 5 sites, see extract from First Schedule of 1960 Act below. Not your problem as long as they say that on your certificate.

Sites approved by exempted organisations

5. — (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a site licence shall not
be required for the use as a caravan site of land as respects which there is in force a certificate
issued under this paragraph by an exempted organisation if not more than five caravans are at
the time stationed for the purposes of human habitation on the land to which the certificate
relates.
(2) For the purposes of this paragraph an exempted organisation may issue as respects any
land a certificate stating that the land has been approved by the exempted organisation for use
by its members
for the purposes of recreation.
(3) The certificate shall be issued to the occupier of the land to which it relates, and the
organisation shall send particulars to the Minister of all certificates issued by the organisation
under this paragraph.
(4) A certificate issued by an exempted organisation under this paragraph shall specify the
date on which it is to come into force and the period for which it is to continue in force, being
a period not exceeding one year.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down