The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean?

+7
burlingtonboaby
Kdc
Page Turner
Ben001
Paulmold
Paramedic
Relaxez-Vous
11 posters

Go down

Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? Empty Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean?

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Following a recent recommendation from burlingtonboaby I've also bought a Cadac 2 cook 2 pro deluxe. It's arrived, looks good, so next I've to make up a length of hose, but what length?

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t30149-cadac-2-cook-2-pro-deluxe-double-grill-bbq

Our Kemerton XL's gas port is on the nearside side close to the rear door. Our Cadac BBQ's instructions say, the hose length should be no less than 600mm and shall not exceed 1.2 metre. That seems rather short, I'm planning on making up a 2 metre hose length. So why only 1.2 meters? Would a hose longer than 2.0 metres be even more convenient?

I suppose it's better with a long length of hose to allow a bit longer in time for any air in the hose be be purged before lighting up your BBQ.

What length of BBQ hose have you got, and what length would you recommend?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? Empty Re: Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean?

Post by Paramedic Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Yes, our Outwell ASADO BBQ gives a most definite warning in the instructions stating 'the hose cannot be longer than 1.5 metre'. It must be something to do with operating safety but I don't know why. Ours needs to be longer so as to use outside of awning for convenience reasons so would need to be at least 2 metres. A more learned person will surely give the answer.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? Empty Re: Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean?

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:58 pm

I've been googling (pardon the expression) and there are dozens of different advice. Some shops will not sell more than 2 metres . Others will sell more than 2 if it's for low pressure only. I believe Cadac say no more than 2. There does not appear to be regulations to limit length. More concern over the danger of tripping and loss of pressure above 2 metres. Gassygassy is the man to advise.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Paramedic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben001 Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Don't know if it is legal or not, but I  have close to 3m for my outside cooking setup and it works perfectly. up!
Ben001
Ben001

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:04 pm

2 metres here - we considered anything shorter than that to be too close to the van for comfort.  We don’t use an enclosed awning (just the wind-out and an occasional panel to block the wind) so no problems there.
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am

I have 2mtrs and all works fine,you need that much to get away from van if using fitted gas connection point.
Whilst I don’t know why there is a restriction on length it has occurred to me that the length given in instructions probably refers to distance from gas bottle to bbq,not knowing it is going to a connection point which already has at least 4 mtrs of fitted gas pipe before you add a flexible
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Hope you get the weather to enjoy your pro 2 RV, I used ours this lunch time to grill up bacon for our Scottish breakfast rolls.
I have a 2 metre connection, you may need longer as you have the XL van.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 pm

I belive the reason that hose length is critical is that the longer the hose then the less pressure actually gets to the appliance. This is down to line friction in the small bore hose. Think of joining up 2 long hose pipes, the pressure will always be less than if you use only 1 hose.
Flash
Flash

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 pm

This is becoming potentially far more complicated that I expected.

The gas pressures downstream of the regulatory seems to vary. My separate butane regulatory is 29mbar, my separate propane regulatory is 37mbar, the bulkhead regulators in our previous van was 30mbar from memory, 30mbar too at the outside gas port on our van fed from the refillable under-slung gas tank.

Whatever info I have about my Cadac BBQ, when the hose arrives and I get the other bits and pieces, I'm going to have to test what sort of flames I get and their stability with the various gas fuels I have available, fed from our van and from separate gas cylinders. I'll start by using a 2m hose. It might be several weeks before I can get around to this because of other plans.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:00 pm

I agree with what Paul posted, the length of the hose seems to be more a safety issue to prevent people and children tripping over the hose and sending a hot BBQ flying into the air. It's far better to have a hot BBQ fed from a short hose sat next to your van out of the wind. It's even better to have a short hose to allow the heat of the hot BBQ warming the inside of your awning, but well away from any noise from the CO alarm.Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? 256783......or NO!

A longer hose it is then, I'm thinking of 3m for now. The more I think about it the longer it gets.Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? 248932417
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:40 pm

My two pennyworth.

I'd always go for longer - at least three metres as suggested.

I would want the hose to drop vertically from the Cadac, then lay quite flat across the ground (possibly even covered by a heavy mat) before rising vertically near the side of the van to the plug in point.

That way when (not if - probably) the dog or a child runs between the van and the bbq the hose is not a trip hazard. The potential result doesn't bear thinking about!

I wouldn't want the bbq within at least a metre of the side of the van in case of flare ups - and I've seen some pretty spectacular ones!!

Just my opinion!  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Cymro and Relaxez-Vous like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm having a quiet  chuckle here, why listen to the  manufacturers recommended guidance when everyone  does their own thing. After all, they  only design and manufacture the device , what would they know?  confused3
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:44 pm

At a show I actually asked a Cadac rep to explain why the recommended length of hose was so short.

He couldn't!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:23 pm

5m of pipe now arrived,  I set up the BBQ by our van and Mrs R-V knowing nothing about this thread, I asked her what looked an appropriate length of pipe. Her first comment was that having the BBQ closer to our sliding door meant it would be easier to go in and out of the van to get things to and from the BBQ, so it will be 3m then. I mentioned the trip issue having a long pipe, but we could as Gromit suggested, cover the pipe on the ground with a mat.

My it was a tough job getting the gas pipe onto the Cadac quick release. I started with Fairy Liquid, then tried some silicon plumbing grease, success finally came using some stuff I found in a bedroom drawer. Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? 487972790
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:5m of pipe now arrived,  I set up the BBQ by our van and Mrs R-V knowing nothing about this thread, I asked her what looked an appropriate length of pipe. Her first comment was that having the BBQ closer to our sliding door meant it would be easier to go in and out of the van to get things to and from the BBQ, so it will be 3m then. I mentioned the trip issue having a long pipe, but we could as Gromit suggested, cover the pipe on the ground with a mat.

My it was a tough job getting the gas pipe onto the Cadac quick release. I started with Fairy Liquid, then tried some silicon plumbing grease, success finally came using some stuff I found in a bedroom drawer. Your hose length, for Cadac type BBQ I mean? 487972790
Put the end of the gas pipe into very hot water so it expands. Then push the quick release into the end of the pipe. Boom boom.
Boaby.   up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks Boaby, I've some more connections to make up to use our gas cylinders when we use our BBQ in the back garden.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 am

Relaxez-Vous wrote:Thanks Boaby, I've some more connections to make up to use our gas cylinders when we use our BBQ in the back garden.
Enjoy your BBQ RV, should be nice on Tuesday.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am

Relaxez-Vous wrote:Thanks Boaby, I've some more connections to make up to use our gas cylinders when we use our BBQ in the back garden.
Get a charcoal one for the back garden.

So much more flavour, and far more fun for we blokes as the fiddle factor is greatly multiplied!  hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 am

Gromit wrote:
Get a charcoal one for the back garden.

So much more flavour, and far more fun for we blokes as the fiddle factor is greatly multiplied!  hugegrins
Each to their own, Dave, but I converted fully to gas years ago, both on the portable for the van and the big un at home.   BBQ
Much more controllable and the flavour, to my mind, is far better, especially using waveguides and a spray of olive oil.   up! 
As opposed to the flavour of BBQ lighting fluid, charcoal and burnt sausage!  snigger
Plus you don't have to light it four hours before you want to eat, to get the coals to the right state for proper barbecuing.  rolleyes

Now, where did I leave that hard-hat?    Whistle1

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Peasant!  shrugg

Further insults in the post!  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down