The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV ariel

5 posters

Go down

TV ariel Empty TV ariel

Post by Mgcviv Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 pm

We have just purchased a 1997 Amethyst and want to have a tv Ariel fixed to the roof. Pros and cons would be welcomed as we have only had the camper van for 10 days but absolutely love it!
We would have it fitted by a local caravan/campervan supplier but are concerned about the pitfalls of cutting through the fibreglass monocoque. 
With thanks
Viv
Mgcviv
Mgcviv

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

TV ariel Empty Re: TV ariel

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:41 pm

I’d not cut the van. Every hole, no matter how well sealed, is a risk to the integrity of the bodywork. A leak is the last thing you need. 

Have you considered a free standing aerial of some sort? If you have a bike rack or rear ladder, you might be able to utilise that to fix an aerial pole to. Then there are some aerials that fix by suction cups. It’s worth investigating all the options.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm

Not what you asked but do you have big data on your phones.  We have an aerial but never use it all our TV comes by tethering the web through an Amazon Firestick or an android app - your TV must have an HDMI to connect into.   It's not a decision to be made quickly though. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 pm

I agree with Tinwheeler. Most if not all if the rooftop mounted aerials are omnidirectional  and don't always get a good signal.  When we used to take a TV with us I attached a small standard domestic rooftop aerial to an extendable awning pole which dropped into a tube which I had attached to the rear ladder. I could then turn it to face the nearest transmitter by either looking at other aerials or using an app on my phone.

We haven't taken a TV in the van for several years now though; we have a good selection of DVD box sets to watch on the laptop or else we stream if there's decent WiFi or via a hotspot, plus I pre download from Prime to my Amazon Fire.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am

Here's two solutions, no drilling!

First is extending pole on rubber coated magnets (Magnet Expert.com)
Aerial is excellent, own built in amplifier, very light, this pole, fully extended has survived 30+mph winds Sorry pics are pre magnets, all it has now is exactly the same but two adjustable magnets on jubilee clips on the lower half of the pole. Google MOONRAKER PRO

Second is current favourite, though it's magnetic goes onto the roof.
Google this, I was sceptical, it has far exceeded all expectations!
August DTA 240 from Daffodil

TV ariel P_202014
TV ariel P_202014
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down