The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

+17
Dave 418
FreelanderUK
Suppersready
rgermain
groundhog
LDPD
bikeralw
CJ1949
modelman
PLOUGHLIN
CC
rventhusiast
rogerblack
IanH
Roopert
Tinwheeler
Jimmee
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET - Page 2 Empty Re: BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

Post by Jimmee Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Thanks Richard.  I haven't emailed AS for a couple of years now and they replied by return then.  Sounds like things have changed.  I'll contact Dave Williams if no joy.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:14 pm

Update.   I am in touch with AS but it's the size and style of the window that seems to be causing the problem.  AS have suggested a window 350 x 500 which would fit but, looking at the photo they have sent me, it's a black surround ugly looking thing.  I want it to match the AS cream surround windows in the Bourton like this one here in the Corinium.  I need to know the size of this Corinium window and have posted the question on the forum.  I want to have it done by AS but only if they or I can come up with a suitable window.  I thought it was going to be easy.  Angela (Mrs Jimmee).  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Jimmee on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:36 pm

I have the Corinium ... and I would not want to be without the window

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:56 pm

Height 63cm
Width. 53cm

Thank you.  I can understand that which is why I want it done in the Bourton.  I have just been informed that this is the measurement of the Corinium window.  The width is going to be tight and AS are concerned it would hit the swinging bath/shower door. I am going to have another measure up and see.  
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:45 am

looking at the Bourton photos, i couldnt see the particular issue as the swing wall is either perpendicular to the wall with the proposed window, or swings away into the shower to the right.
wouldnt the window go where the current cabinet is?...(im sure another poster has already done this window addition in a Bourton)...and, if so, surely the cabinet is not currently compromised by the swing wall?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:02 am

Would it not be possible for any competent bodyshop to spray the window surround to match the existing ones?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 pm

bikeralw wrote:I'm in agreement with Modelman. On a flat coach built wall it should be simple to cut a hole as he described.
There's a window in the washroom of our Nuevo and I wouldn't be without it, makes it so light and airy, plus the obvious advantage when getting rid of steam and condensation.
 I've experienced windowless van washrooms and it's like showering in a vertical coffin...
Al.
I'm still struggling with finding a suitable window.  AS say the only one it recommends is a Dometic top hinge 350 x 500, but this only give 254 x 354 of window.  I ask myself is it worth it?  How big is the window in your Nuevo please?  AS tell me that I will be surprised how much light it give.  Thank you and I appreciate your help.  Angela (Mrs Jimmee).
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 pm

Thank you for all your comments and they are very much appreciated.  I'm still struggling with finding a suitable window.  AS say the only one it recommends is a Dometic top hinge 350 x 500, but this only gives 254 x 354 of actual window.  I ask myself is it worth it?  AS tell me that I will be surprised how much light it gives.  The Corinium window would fit but it is a bit tight.  This is the one I prefer.  It is the depth of the window surround which would affect the swing wall AS say.  Apparently the frame only comes in a dark grey whereas all our windows are grey/silver.  I suppose that could be sprayed - thank you Groundhog.  It just seems a lot of hassle for something which I thought would be so simple.  (Mrs Jimmee).
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Jimmee wrote:
bikeralw wrote:I'm in agreement with Modelman. On a flat coach built wall it should be simple to cut a hole as he described.
There's a window in the washroom of our Nuevo and I wouldn't be without it, makes it so light and airy, plus the obvious advantage when getting rid of steam and condensation.
 I've experienced windowless van washrooms and it's like showering in a vertical coffin...
Al.
I'm still struggling with finding a suitable window.  AS say the only one it recommends is a Dometic top hinge 350 x 500, but this only give 254 x 354 of window.  I ask myself is it worth it?  How big is the window in your Nuevo please?  AS tell me that I will be surprised how much light it give.  Thank you and I appreciate your help.  Angela (Mrs Jimmee).
The window in the bathroom of my Mk1 Nuevo is 600wide x 470high.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 pm

bikeralw wrote:
Jimmee wrote:
Al.
The window in the bathroom of my Mk1 Nuevo is 600wide x 470high.

Thank you for going to the trouble to post the picture and for your helpful reply.    It looks a lovely big window.  Unfortunately too big for the Bourton.  I can't understand why AS don't fit one in there, cost I would imagine.  I'll have another think.  I suppose better to have a small window than none at all.  Angela 

Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:05 pm

looking at the Bourton photos, the reason they dont fit a window (apart from cost) is that you would lose the large storage cabinet.
this may or may not be an issue.
im still struggling to see how a wall that swings as in the photo can be affected by a slim window yet not be affected by the existing bulky storage cabinet.....
unless the hinge is particularly large...but even then, why doesnt it hit the cabinet?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:29 pm

bolero boy wrote:looking at the Bourton photos, the reason they dont fit a window (apart from cost) is that you would lose the large storage cabinet.
this may or may not be an issue.
im still struggling to see how a wall that swings as in the photo can be affected by a slim window yet not be affected by the existing bulky storage cabinet.....
unless the hinge is particularly large...but even then, why doesnt it hit the cabinet?

Thank you for your input.  I agree with you about the swing door.  I am not fussed by the large cabinet.  I can find somewhere else for the stuff that's in it.  I think it is a bit of an eyesore personally.  AS tell me the only window they recommend measures 350 x 500 and that is gives a surprising amount of light even though it is not that big.  The Corinium window measures 530 across and although it fits, what AS are referring to is the protrusion of the window frame into the room, 50cm, which would hit on the swing door.  Ideally, it would be good to see the actual window in your hand and offer it up or see someone else that has had it done, which is why I posted the question on the forum in the first place.  What a hassle.  I'm not sure I can be bothered with it all now.  

Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET - Page 2 Empty BOURTON WINDOW IN TOILET

Post by Jimmee Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm

AS have come back to me to say that the 500 x 600 Seitz S4 window I propose in the toilet of the Bourton will be too tight and will affect the swing wall.  They have suggested a smaller one 350 x 500.  AS say I will be surprised by the amount of light even a small window will give.  They say this is the only window that will work due to the body type build/shell of our vehicle.  Anything else they wouldn't be confident with.  I have measured the overall width (544) of the larger window and it looks like it will fit but it would be close.  So it looks like that one is literally out of the window.  The small one includes a cassette blind etc.  Has anyone seen a picture of this actual window?  I have scoured the internet looking at Seitz S4 top hinged windows but although there are plenty of photos there are none of this actual small one.  I have made a template of the 350 x 500 window (overall measurement is larger) and it would actually fit underneath the brown cabinet so we wouldn't lose that but the window would be low down.  However, there would be light.  So I now have a dilemma.  Any thoughts or has anyone seen this small window?  Thank you for your help and comments.  Mrs Jimmee

Last edited by Jimmee on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm

All the S4 windows look the same, just size varies.

For the toilet you will need an opaque but translucent blind.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Thank you Ploughlin.  I have looked at all the sizes but there are no actual photos of the smallest one with the cassette etc.  I don't want opaque.  It must be clear and AS have said that it is.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Any good for you 

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm

A bit late in the post but our Duetto had a small widow high up on the side wall and a small skylight in the bathroom. It never felt dark.
 When we bought the Rienza it has a fairly large window and a small skylight in the bathroom. It makes the bathroom feel much bigger than it is. Also it’s quite handy to be able to open the window after a shower to vent the room.
Having removed the rear windows to re seal them it dosnt look difficult to fit the windows. I am not sure I would have the confidence to cut the opening. It wouldn’t take a lot to spoil the job.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Thank you Chris.  Yes, I have seen that but there are no photos of the actual cassette in that small 350 width size.  Never mind, there are photos of the next size up so I can get an idea from that.  Thank you Dave for the mention of the small window in the Duetto.  I have just managed to see a photo of it on the internet.  As you say, it does let light in even though it is high up.  At least AS had the sense to fit one.  Even the earlier Bourtons, which did not have the brown cupboard, AS put a long mirror there, which made things brighter but they could have fitted a window.  I will post what we decide.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by justlooking Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:37 pm

If it’s an outdoor view that’s the priority, how about your IPad fixed with double-sided Velcro against the wall? Think of the fabulous views you could have, and no cutting holes in your van.
justlooking
justlooking

Male

Auto-Sleeper : IH 630 RL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Jimmee wrote:Thank you Ploughlin.  I have looked at all the sizes but there are no actual photos of the smallest one with the cassette etc.  I don't want opaque.  It must be clear and AS have said that it is.
Can I ask why you don't want an opaque/obscure window?
Opaque means no blinds have to be drawn when the bathroom is in use, and to my mind the opaque window lets more white light in than clear. The window can always be opened if you want a view.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Angela, it does seem like an awful lot of trouble and cost (not to mention the inconvenience of the van being at Willersey for some time) to fit a window in a 'room' that you are going to spend exactly how long in during any one visit?

We too love the Bourton - especially the lounge arrangement because of the large windows/rooflights that make it so light and spacious feeling. But we find the roof vent in the bathroom is adequate for ventilation during showering and we don't feel the need to sit on the 'throne' that long gazing out at the views. It can feel a little 'gloomy' during daylight hours especially on dull days but either of the two LED ceiling lights flood the place with bright white light to see what we need to see. If I were to change anything it would be the opaque rooflight for a midi Heki or Remis (like the one over the kitchen) as this would improve both light and ventilation - and would be a far simpler job.

Do hope you get something sorted and can just concentrate on enjoying your motorhoming. 

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Al, I like a clear window anywhere so that I can see out of it.  The rest of the motorhome is so bright and airy but the washroom is like entering a cupboard, even with the extra LED lighting and Heki light we have in there.  We go in the bathroom at home for all sorts of things, not just to sit on the toilet and it is no different in the motorhome.  It's easy enough to pull the net blind down.  Thank you Dave for your comments.  We love the Bourton too for the same reasons as you but the one downside of it from the start for me was the windowless washroom.  It can easily be done by AS and I will happily post a photo of it when it is all done.  I would also prefer a sliding door into the washroom rather than the opening out one but that's another story and I can live with that.  It's nice of you all to join in on the forum, be it windows or no windows, doors, furnishings, leaks, problems or whatever but the main thing is that we get out and about in our vehicles and enjoy the great outdoors.
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmee Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:53 pm

The window is in and Mr Jimmee likes it.  He now agrees with me totally that it was the right thing to do.  We had it done at AS factory.  Paul Oliver has done a great job and we are delighted with it.  It is so much brighter and looks roomier in the toilet/shower room.  The odd bits we had in the brown cabinet have gone in the glass sliding shower cabinet.  That is now sitting in our spare room if anyone wants to buy it or I'll stick it on eBay, collection only.  One (or should I say two) very happy Bourton owner with a window in the toilet, at last!  Mrs Jimmee [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Jimmee on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change photo)
Jimmee
Jimmee

Male

rogerblack, bikeralw, gemdeco and Boots like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:45 pm

I have always wanted an answer to this question, and have never had a satisfactory answer.
Under what circumstances do you want to see out when using the washroom, and under what circumstances do you want others to see you when you are using a washroom? If you don't have a light in the washroom I would be very surprised. A cupboard is actually useful.

I will admit that I don't know the Bourton. Doesn't it have a roof window?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Post repeated by an unknown gremlin . . .
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next