The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking service from Marquis

+3
rogerblack
Paulmold
Tinwheeler
7 posters

Go down

Shocking service from Marquis Empty Shocking service from Marquis

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 pm

We recently decided to change our Warwick Duo for one based on the Fiat with the 9 speed auto gearbox. The new Warwick had to be brought from Marquis Surrey to Marquis Devon, just outside Plymouth. This process took 10 days. We were told Marquis use motorhome owners to shift vehicles and most were away enjoying their own vans. What?!!!

We eventually inspected the van and the build quality wasn't bad. Snagging drawers, loose taps and the like but nothing major (unlike the Symbol we'd seen with a warped wall). We collected the van on Monday of this week and were startled to discover both the fuel tank and the gas tank were almost empty. Sheesh, a windscreen price of £64k and Marquis don’t even put in diesel and gas! Still, we considered we'd done a pretty good deal so filled both tanks on the way home.

Twenty miles down the road an engine warning light came on. We pulled over and read it was OK to drive and there was a suggestion of a DPF problem. Then the penny dropped. They'd not filled the fuel or gas tanks so what were the chances Marquis had also failed to fill the AdBlue tank? Long story short. Filling with AdBlue sorted it but didn't clear the fault codes which were reset after contacting Fiat Camper Assist.

The error here was entirely of Marquis' making and we have told them so. They sent out a new vehicle without ensuring it was in a suitable roadgoing condition. Incompetence, negligence, call it what you will but I hope this tale might serve as a cautionary note to others buying a new van from Marquis, especially the Devon branch.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Shocking service from Marquis Empty Re: Shocking service from Marquis

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Does the adblue tank have a dipstick or any way of checking the level before the warning  light appears. I have read that they only partially fill them at production. My van is too old for adblue, just curious.
As for fuel, I've never had any van filled but I've never bought new. I've always forgotten to make it part of the deal. As for lpg, is there a local filling station they could have used, presuming there must have been some gas to check appliances? I'm not making excuses for Marquis, I would never buy from them anyway.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Richard Wootton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:28 pm

TW, i have to agree, thats pretty ropey customer service...
however, i hope you can put that behind you and enjoy your new van.
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Paulmold wrote:Does the adblue tank have a dipstick or any way of checking the level before the warning  light appears. I have read that they only partially fill them at production. My van is too old for adblue, just curious.
As for fuel, I've never had any van filled but I've never bought new. I've always forgotten to make it part of the deal. As for lpg, is there a local filling station they could have used, presuming there must have been some gas to check appliances? I'm not making excuses for Marquis, I would never buy from them anyway.

There is no gauge or any measuring device on the AdBlue tank. I’ve yet to study the handbook but I believe the first warning is given at several hundred/thousand miles to go and then repeated at intervals. Our tank had only about 2 litres in it and should have at least 5 for the system to operate properly. Bear in mind the van had been driven about 200 miles from Surrey only days before. The story is "that’s how it comes from the factory" yet they put it on the road in that state! 

When we bought the previous Warwick from them it had about a quarter of a tank of fuel, a full gas tank and sufficient AdBlue. This one had just the minimum of gas and fuel but it's the insufficient AdBlue which is the real gripe.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:36 pm

bolero boy wrote:TW, i have to agree, thats pretty ropey customer service...
good luck.

Thankyou, BB. It’s obviously early days yet but the van seems to go well and the auto box is a joy.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 pm

It's an interesting point about "that's how it comes from the factory".

Presumably, when you buy a new car or van (not a conversion) from a Fiat, Peugeot, VW, Mercedes, Ford or whatever manufacturer's dealer, they have a PDI routine for the vehicle before it's sold, using their own trained mechanics/technicians.  

In the case of a motorhome converter such as AS/Marquis, if the base chassis vehicle is delivered straight from the factory, who does the base vehicle PDI? If it's down to the converter, are they actually trained to do this in the way that a main vehicle dealer/franchise's mechanics/technicians are?  

Bearing in mind from the frequent tales on here that they sometimes seem barely capable of doing this properly for the habitation conversion which they build themselves, I'd be concerned about their competence to cover the base vehicle elements fully.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Agreed, Roger, which is why we have now checked other things such as oil levels.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
good luck.

Thankyou, BB. It’s obviously early days yet but the van seems to go well and the auto box is a joy.
yes, i had a couple of hours in a (large) van last time i was at our dealers for its annual check and, like you, found it really smooth and easy to drive....even for a nr 8m van!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 pm

bolero boy wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
good luck.

yes, i had a couple of hours in a (large) van last time i was at our dealers for its annual check and, like you, found it really smooth and easy to drive....even for a nr 8m van!

Some reviewers consider this gearbox to be the best thing about the Ducato innocent
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm

well, we all know the rest of it has to be a bit long in the tooth.
just goes to show what a great base vehicle it was considering it was (basically) released in 2006....with a few engine/chassis tweaks along the way.
14 yrs is a long time for a model to run, yet still the market leader by miles.
i bet the next one will be pretty darn good.
PSA must have missed loads of sales by not being (and still not) able to offer an auto box.
plenty of converters are looking to the Relay/Jumper to make prices more attractive but, considering MH owner demographic, there will be loads who want/need an auto box.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:31 pm

Ah that's useful. We got ours from Devon marquis and ditto on fuel etc. And our yellow engine light has come on as well. So I guess we has better check adblue before going to a Peugeot dealer. With fairness to marquis Devon, on our new van on only our second trip out we had a huge leak through the roof into the bathroom cupboard. We phoned them and they immediately had us call in at the exeter branch thirty minutes away from where we were and they did a temporary fix and got us back on the road within the hour. They booked us in for proper repair as soon as we returned off holiday. They also fixed all the snags with heating, draws, oven door, central locking and peeling trim....new van too...🙄
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:39 pm

We had issues such as snagging drawers as well which they missed during the PDI but we made them sort the faults prior to us collecting the van.

Most of your issues should also have been sorted in the PDI so I'd not be too quick to praise them.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

RogerThat and OOF like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:47 am

Having bought many cars and vans over the years, new and used, I remain convinced that for many dealers the PDI consists of nothing more than a wash if you’re lucky.

While I can’t comment on Marquis having never used them, I believe that many dealers of new and used vehicles take a chance that everything will be okay. They know that 90% probably will be and of those that aren’t, 95% of buyers won’t complain.

This was emphasised to me when I purchased my van from a large well known dealer in Preston, which included in the sale a habitation check. On collection there was no paperwork for the check and when I queried this I was told that they never provide this but “trust me, we’ve done it”.  The handover went downhill from there.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:12 pm

There wouldn't be enough space on the website to tell my story regarding Marquis Tewksbury, having no fuel would have been okay, I spent the first twelve months of ownership taking the van back to have the same jobs done on a regular basis.
I vowed I would never buy another van from them and I have had two new vans since then.
But not from them.
It wasn't just me either an elderly couple were in reception as we were say in the poky waiting room and he said: we have come to give you another opportunity to redeem your good reputation.
What really amazed me was that this depot won the dealer of the year award the same year.
Since then, they have moved the workshop to a remote site, perhaps to many disgruntled customers were putting prospective buyers off.
Somebody told me that the workshop manager used to be a butcher (newsflash, he still was).lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWomble Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am

Marquis must be the worst company of all. We have been waiting since Christmas for them to send us a replacement light fitting. They never call back, they never email. All we get is the odd response to my emails from the salesman Rob telling us it in hand! In hand my * Inappropriate Word *. Useless company.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down