The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs.

+2
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs. Empty Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs.

Post by Paulmold Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:03 am

Taken from another forum, don't know if any use to members here....

Car drivers and passengers are being allowed to stay in their cars on the crossing to allow more people to travel.
50 people only are allowed to travel on the car deck - so 50 cars with 1 person or 10 cars with 5 people.
To allow this dispensation, Calmac are not allowed to have dangerous goods travel on this route,
This includes motorhomes with gas cannisters.
This means the only way on and off the island for a motorhome is by the short Rhubodach - Colintraive route.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs. Empty Re: Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs.

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:46 pm

When Cal-Mac had the older sprinter ferries Juno. Jupiter and Saturn you could sit in your vehicles and enjoy the sail across, the newer fleet of ferries has the vehicle passengers "oot the car Stirling " located on the upper desks .
Unfortunately you carn't see anything of the view on the newer ferries .
Nice trip of on the north end, ( Kyles of Bute) also take the ferry from Portavadie to Tarbet and tour the Argyle coast.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

kaspian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs. Empty Re: Calmac Wemyss Bay to Rothesey temp regs.

Post by GrahamF Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks a Paul

Planned to come back that way from Islay in September.

Must investigate further........

Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 am

Checked on Calmac site and the restriction applies between 01 July and 18 October 2020. What happens then is anyone’s guess.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - All vehicle drivers MUST remain in their vehicles during the duration of the crossing.
Dangerous Goods, Motorhomes and Caravans - Dangerous Goods vehicles will not be carried on this route until further notice and will need to travel via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Motorhomes and Caravans carrying compressed gas will not be permitted to travel on the Wemyss Bay - Rothesay route and all vehicles will be searched if they arrive for shipment.
Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm

GrahamF wrote:Checked on Calmac site and the restriction applies between 01 July and 18 October 2020. What happens then is anyone’s guess.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - All vehicle drivers MUST remain in their vehicles during the duration of the crossing.
Dangerous Goods, Motorhomes and Caravans - Dangerous Goods vehicles will not be carried on this route until further notice and will need to travel via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Motorhomes and Caravans carrying compressed gas will not be permitted to travel on the Wemyss Bay - Rothesay route and all vehicles will be searched if they arrive for shipment.
Regards
Graham
That is handy to know Graham,thanks, not visiting this year ,however handy knowledge   up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Tried to contact Calmac by phone - message after a 5 minute spiel tells me there were greater than 10 in the queue and then cut me off. 

Then attempted to email - this resulted in an auto response stating that I would receive a reply within 21 working days!

Their website states that their other ferries are only bookable online 7 weeks ahead. (Had thoughts on returning via Arran)

What I really wanted to know was whether these other routes are also subject to the “gas canister” ban as I don’t really see what is unique about the Rothesay to Wemyss Bay boats. Obviously only time will tell.

This furlough scheme is a wonderful thing. Hmmm..........

Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 pm

Aren’t our cylinders and tanks holding liquified gas rather than compressed gas? confused3
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm

The Rhubodach Colintraive ferry, Portavadie Tarbert ferry s are roll on roll off at both ends, I believe.
The more modern ferries via Rothesay Wemyss bay are stern and side entry/exit ferries requiring vehicle passengers and driver to leave their vehicles on the car deck .
It looks like vehicle passengers and driver are required to stay in their vehicles putting them at risk in the event of a gas explosion or leak ( imo) as it's very tight in this area. 
Traveled both types of ferries for 16 years.
I think the Tarbet via Arran to Ardrossen only runs three times a week, this could have changed in resent times.
Beautiful scenery, blue clear waters, lots of walks and wild life.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipperozzy Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 pm

We live locally and go to Rothesay regularly, and were there last weekend.Our in laws daughter works for Calmac and told us of this current ban although we couldn’t see it on the website so had to get the Western ferry to Dunoon then drive to Colintraive, works out about the same cost if you buy the Western ferry tickets in local shops before you board. It’s a lovely drive from Dunoon to Colintraive but some single track roads and steep hills to navigate .
They say you can’t take gas cylinders onboard as these are Dangerous Goods, but ok on calmac open deck ferries and western . I don’t know about any of the other larger ferries to the other islands but imagine it’s the same as Rothesay ferry.
Kipperozzy
Kipperozzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 am

Kipperozzy wrote:We live locally and go to Rothesay regularly, and were there last weekend.Our in laws daughter works for Calmac and told us of this current ban although we couldn’t see it on the website so had to get the Western ferry to Dunoon then drive to Colintraive, works out about the same cost if you buy the Western ferry tickets in local shops before you board. It’s a lovely drive from Dunoon to Colintraive but some single track roads and steep hills to navigate .
They say you can’t take gas cylinders onboard as these are Dangerous Goods, but ok on calmac open deck ferries and western . I don’t know about any of the other larger ferries to the other islands but imagine it’s the same as Rothesay ferry.
Hi Kipperozzy,missed your reply last October, we have a framed photo on Etterick bay with the wreck of the "Co-worker" stranded on the beach, In the back ground is the Isle of Arran and the sleeping warrior.
Agree with you the scenery is brilliant  up!  We used to park up in our wee Bay window van at the Turzon dam and fry up bacon for our morning rolls..
An alternative route to Bute ( although longer) is through Sandbank along Loch Eck to Strachur, turning left 
Along Loch Fynnethen the Leanach brae down through Glendaruel
Oh happy days.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:41 am

Tinwheeler wrote:Aren’t our cylinders and tanks holding liquified gas rather than compressed gas? confused3
They most certainly are, and at quite low pressure too.
They must be referring to high pressure cylinders, such as oxygen for breathing etc, worth a call though........
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 pm

IanH wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:Aren’t our cylinders and tanks holding liquified gas rather than compressed gas? confused3
They most certainly are, and at quite low pressure too.
They must be referring to high pressure cylinders, such as oxygen for breathing etc, worth a call though........

I thought that was the case. I wonder exactly what they mean as it could be they've used the wrong terminology.shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 pm

It seems to be only the Rothesay to Wemyss Bay ferry that has this restriction as stated on their “Service Update” website. However as you can’t book alternatives until 7 weeks in advance then it is impossible to be certain that the same won’t apply to the Arran service. (I would give them a call IanH, if they would only answer!)

Thanks for the Western Ferries suggestion Kipperozzy but I don’t think they would accept my 7.2m van except as a full commercial - unless you know otherwise?

I suspect you are right Tinwheeler about wrong terminology but I fear they really don’t want Motorhomes on that service.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipperozzy Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:49 am

Hello Graham, I’m sure Western will take your van, but don’t know what category they would class it as, they can take coaches and lorries and so can the Colintraive ferry.
Kipperozzy
Kipperozzy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:15 pm

Kipperozzy

Thanks for that info, I may have to consider it if Calmac don’t want to play ball.

As Western Ferries request you to contact them for my size of van I had fears that it would come in the same group as a 32 ton artic!

Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Only thing you have to watch is your overhang to the rear of your van,especially if the tides out.
I ran an 8 wheeler tipper across to Sandbank on WF back in the 80's ,
Plenty of room.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks Boaby

Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 pm

Just to update if anyone else is travelling in this area.

Restrictions on the Rothesay to Wemyss Bay service seem to stay in place at present.

The good news is that as from 9.00 am today (31 July) Calmac permitted bookings on all other services up until 18 October 2020.

To prevent their website from being overwhelmed, they have a queuing system that I must say worked very well when I rebooked on to the Brodick to Ardrossan route to come back via Arran rather than Bute. 

The predicted 45 minute queue proved to be only 25 minutes in reality and was easy to follow as to where you were up to - I would expect it to decrease as time goes on.

Here’s hoping the services get back to a bit nearer normality for everyone’s sake.

Regards
Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:19 am

Don't forget your midge spray Graham, also the Arran whiskey distillery is worth a visit ( if it's open for visitors?) I have a wee drop of 12 year old left,really smooth.
Boaby hick
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down