The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jury Service

+5
Mrgeoffrey
bikeralw
groundhog
rgermain
Eltel
9 posters

Go down

Jury Service  Empty Jury Service

Post by Eltel Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 am

A couple of weeks ago a letter popped through the post requesting for me to do Jury Service from Monday 24th August 

I replied declining that I had a holiday booked.

One of the questions asked on the form is your age which I competed pointing out that I was 70

I also pointed out as a 70 year old I had self isolated since prior to the lockdown, all our shopping being done by neighbours or click and collect 

I thought wrongly sending the form back with the information that I was 70 and as I’m advised at my age I was vulnerable that would be the end of it.

No I have been requested for Jury service next February 

Seems to be a complete mockery that I’m advised as a 70 year old to keep my social distance but I can sit in a room with complete strangers for up to two weeks.

Any advice welcome
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Jury Service  Empty Re: Jury Service

Post by rgermain Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:58 am

I told them once I was working 24/7 12 hrs days installing Telecomms networks and would they pay my loss of earnings? They let me off just this once.

Then a second time a few years later, I told them I had Prostate enlargement which I could back up from my DR. and need to pee often. They said I could not leave the room so they let me off again.

Next time if I am still here,  I shall say I fall asleep after 10mins. hugegrins hugegrins
----------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:22 am

How different we all are, I have always wanted to carry out jury service but am not allowed! drinksallround
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 am

Can you not commit a small crime? Preferably one that doesn't carry a long custodial sentence...
I don't think they accept folk with a criminal record.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:20 pm

groundhog wrote:How different we all are, I have always wanted to carry out jury service but am not allowed! drinksallround
Why may I ask? 
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrgeoffrey Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:31 pm

rgermain wrote:I told them once I was working 24/7 12 hrs days installing Telecomms networks and would they pay my loss of earnings? They let me off just this once.

Then a second time a few years later, I told them I had Prostate enlargement which I could back up from my DR. and need to pee often. They said I could not leave the room so they let me off again.

Next time if I am still here,  I shall say I fall asleep after 10mins. hugegrins hugegrins
----------
Richard
That's great news , I was diagnosed with prostate enlargement last week and wasn't told about any benefits, are there any others? smile!
Mrgeoffrey
Mrgeoffrey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2005

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Eltel wrote: I have been requested for Jury service next February 

February 2021 is over seven months away yet - the world may be a very different place by then smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm

They changed the rules a few years ago in England and Wales. Used to be able to decline for no reason over 70, they put that up to 75. They also made it policy that if you were excused, it would be treated as a deferment rather than just pot luck if you got selected again.
Interestingly, at the time the judiciary advised against it but it went ahead anyway.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Roger's correct: When my wife was called many years ago, and really didn't want to be away from her school, I knew that if you wrote in saying that it would be inconvenient so could they let you off, that would be rejected - but you ask for a deferment, that is usually granted. It was, and she was never called again.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Mrgeoffrey wrote:
rgermain wrote:I told them once I was working 24/7 12 hrs days installing Telecomms networks and would they pay my loss of earnings? They let me off just this once.

----------
Richard
That's great news , I was diagnosed with prostate enlargement last week and wasn't told about any benefits, are there any others? smile!
No good ones, plenty of bad ones.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 am

Magistrates have to retire at 70 but the general public can serve on a jury up to the age of 75 dispite having no training on sifting evidence and concentrating on the relevant information before coming to a judicial decision  I don't understand how that as come about. Anyone have any printable answers?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:29 am

Same old story.  One rule       comes to mind.
--------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am

I’ve been called three times, got out of it twice. I hope I’m never called again, I hated it.

Nora

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 am

Pnefan wrote:Magistrates have to retire at 70 but the general public can serve on a jury up to the age of 75 dispite having no training on sifting evidence and concentrating on the relevant information before coming to a judicial decision  I don't understand how that as come about. Anyone have any printable answers?
As I mentioned above, the judiciary were against it and this was one of the reasons - see here if you're interested in the full background:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/JCO/Documents/Consultations/cocj-response-upper-age-limit-jury-service.pdf

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down