The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood-effect wall covering peeling off

4 posters

Go down

wood-effect wall covering peeling off Empty wood-effect wall covering peeling off

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Some of the interior walls on our Pollensa are board covered with wood-effect sticky-backed plastic. The original adhesive is starting to fail, so the plastic is peeling away from the wall. Has anyone had this problem before and what's the best way to reattach it? 

I bought a spray can of adhesive, but it's really difficult to use without getting it everywhere, and so sticky it makes positioning the plastic sheet difficult. Any suggestions very welcome.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

wood-effect wall covering peeling off Empty Re: wood-effect wall covering peeling off

Post by kaspian Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:50 pm

We had this with the foil on our locker doors . I used Uhu at a quid a tube in Poundland . Works a treat to give a permanent fix and does not damage the delicate foil. It can be applied from the tube to one side and brought together immediately so no messy sprays or waste or rubbery build up under the foil giving a lumpy surface after gluing . Cant recommend it highly enough!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

wood-effect wall covering peeling off Empty Re: wood-effect wall covering peeling off

Post by IanH Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:20 pm

In your glove box is your AS build number.
Our Harmony rear of toilet and rear of galley were bleached near white with sun through rear windows.
AS told me the wood grain used for that particular vehicle. Googled it and got some (fablon) similar to Fablon which we simply stuck over the original
In your case, I'd buy a roll (sorry cant remember where we got it, but google does) check it for match, strip off existing, sand to smooth, then apply the new film.
Pics below show end result.....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just found supplier!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]IVE, google that!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:26 pm

IanH wrote:In your glove box is your AS build number.
Our Harmony rear of toilet and rear of galley were bleached near white with sun through rear windows.
AS told me the wood grain used for that particular vehicle. Googled it and got some (fablon) similar to Fablon which we simply stuck over the original
In your case, I'd buy a roll (sorry cant remember where we got it, but google does) check it for match, strip off existing, sand to smooth, then apply the new film.

What a brilliant idea! I'd a) never thought of asking Auto-Sleepers, and b) never thought of simply replacing the offending material!
I'll contact AS with our build number and see what they come up with.
Many thanks
SL
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:00 pm

The price isn't per roll, its per metre, so comparatively expensive. Preparation of the surface will be paramount to getting a good job, also grain alignment may mean material wastage, but, in the scheme of things, not too pricey, as you see, it worked well for us, here's a pic of a chest of drawers I made for the Harmony, just ply, but then covered with same film.....

Not David Bailey pics, but you can see the excellent grain and colour match.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 am

We had this problem on an IH PVC a few years ago whilst in Spain for the winter. At first it was just an area near the sliding door but gradually it started to appear all over the front end of the van. As it was still under warranty and getting worse IH took it back and had to replace the kitchen and bathroom. We were told then that it was the change to water based (rather than solvent) adhesives by the manufacturers of the boards. IH were also cutting out and fitting marquetry type inserts on the doors and drawers and these continued to fail in the same way. 

The replacement panels seemed to be ok but we changed vans a ear after that.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down