The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo internal wall covering joints

+3
inspiredron
Cymro
Chrisjohn
7 posters

Go down

Nuevo internal wall covering joints Empty Nuevo internal wall covering joints

Post by Chrisjohn Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Hello all,

During this tedious lock down I have been doing all sorts of jobs on our beloved Nuevo EK and one thing that has been bugging me since we have owned it (5 years now) is the poorly finished seam joints inside the van. They have been lifting and I have tried unsuccessfully re-gluing them with vinyl wallpaper adhesive, but this was not very satisfactory. So I managed to source some PVC flexible strip which is about 15mm wide and around 3mm thick in cream. I have also located some heavy duty industrial double sided tape which is slightly narrower than the PVC strip. After removing the old vinyl tape, using a hairdryer to soften the adhesive, cleaned the areas thoroughly with methylated spirit, I carefully measured how much strip I needed, placed the double sided tape on and attached the new covering on all the wall joints. I am very pleased with the outcome and consider the time taken (a full day) was well spent. I am posting this for the benefit of any other owners who might have the same annoying problem. I have taken some photos of before and after of the joints in question and of the double sided tape and PVC joint covering I used if of interest to anyone, also the website links where I purchased the items. The whole job cost me around £30 which considering I was going to take the van to Autosleepers to get them to do the job is a fantastic saving. Please let me know if anyone wants more info.

Regards to you all, Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Cheshirecheese, spanner and Casagodfrey like this post

Back to top Go down

Nuevo internal wall covering joints Empty Re: Nuevo internal wall covering joints

Post by Cymro Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Thank you for sharing this, Chris. I recall that there was a thread on this topic in the last year or so, which - if I remember correctly - suggested that heat (via an iron) was the most likely fix.

But your solution sounds more convincing. I'm sure that many of us who suffer the same problem in our motorhomes would welcome some photos and details of the products, sources and methods used. Perhaps a Moderator might consider posting any such further  information as you may give as a Fact Sheet.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Nuevo internal wall covering joints Empty Re: Nuevo internal wall covering joints

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Cymro, 
Thanks for this. I will get the information up on the forum as you have suggested. I will need to work out how to upload the photos too! Regards, Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Hello all,
I sourced the heavy duty double sided tape from:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and the PVC 113 Cream 15mm PVC Herzim Strip from:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    cos-baines.co.uk/product/113-cream-15mm-pvc-herzim-strip/

I will post some photos on next page.  Regards,  Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Thanks, Chris.
Like you I have been bugged by this continual problem. I tried the heat solution but that didn't last.
Speaking to Mark a couple of years ago he told me that A/S now use some form of seal that forms an impermeable layer over the complete wall. He was waiting for that to cause farofar cosmetic problems as moisture tries to get out of the wall substrate!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:08 pm

hello all, here a a few more photos regarding the wall joints.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

sussextravellers and spanner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm

What width double sided tape did you use? The 0.4mm groove in the extrusion is 5mm wide so I would guess the 3mm?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello Peter, the tape is 12mm wide and the PVC cover strip is 15mm. so the tape covers the groove and forms a good joint.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks, does that not make the PVC strip look as though it is standing off the wall?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:05 pm

Yes, but as you can see from the pictures it looks a lot better than the previous Autosleepers attempt in covering the joins (in my opinion anyway) Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Certainly looks much better. I might get both 3mm and 12mm and see which I prefer.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:20 pm

I've just been out to measure how much required and took management for approval. Although by no means perfect, we've lived with them since regluing them about 7 years ago and in a couple of places they go behind strips of sealant and wall mounted items so, for us, we've decided to leave well alone.

I will however order some of the 12mm tape as the roll of car trim tape I've been eating into for about 15 years is nearly gone.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IMP Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 am

Many thanks for this. This lifting tape issue is something that has held me back from buying an Autosleeper in the past! However, now taken the plunge and purchased a 2017 Corinium Duo. I have asked the Dealer to attempt to re-stick the tape, where it is beginning to show signs of lifting, before we take delivery - but I am not banking on this working.

I can see that I will be following your lead in this, over the Winter.
IMP
IMP

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Hello IMP, you have made the right choice with the Autosleeper Corinium.  We have been so happy with our Nuevo, it's just the annoying niggly minor engineering details which get under my skin, on the whole they are very well built vans. I am so grateful to all those members who have offered tips and remedies on this forum. I hope you have many hours of fun with your purchase, as and when we are allowed off our leads! Chris.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Nuevo internal wall covering joints Empty Thanks

Post by IMP Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:39 am

Many thanks, Chris

We are indeed looking forward to picking our Corinium up at the end of the month. Hopefully, we will also be able to actually use it in July - assuming that we can find a pitch !!

This will be our 4th Motorhome - starting with a Homecar in 2010 - then into an Adria ( while living in Spain ) and followed by an Autotrail upon returning to the UK.  Looking forward to spending part of next Winter in Almeria - if it is possible to do so, by then.

Cheers

Ian
IMP
IMP

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo

Back to top Go down

Nuevo internal wall covering joints Empty same problem

Post by minos1427 Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi, are you happy creme is the right colour for the ceiling. My 2018 BROADWAY'S ceiling looks nearer to white than creme. Also, does the same colour match the bathroom wall paper?
minos1427
minos1427

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisjohn Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:06 am

Hello, yes I am happy that the cream colour PVC covering that I have put on is a good match to the wallpaper in the van. I have not replaced the ceiling joints as I do agree there is a different colour and would not match. If that did need replacing I would then source a white version. Thanks.
Chrisjohn
Chrisjohn

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:01 am

Same problem here (2017 Broadway EB). 

i've ordered/received some new lengths of wall/ceiling tape this week from Autosleepers spares. This is really sticky and more pliable (thinner? or maybe simply newer) than the tape I've removed. Maybe they have a different suppler now? £1/m now, I think last year when I enquired was 70p/m.

I'll put in on and see how it over-winters and report back.
natmat
natmat

Male

Back to top Go down