The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ

+2
Paulmold
julialumina
6 posters

Go down

connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ Empty connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ

Post by julialumina Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:23 pm

We have a BBQ that tales Coleman propane 453g cylinders, trying to change to LPG feed from van.
Sorted for the van end and hose(thanks to this Forum)  but struggling to get connector for BBQ end.
Need adapter with Coleman style 1” x 20 CGA 600 male connector as below and 8mm hose attachment
connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ AQvNoXJ0Ne9EAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Any suggestions where to get this, can't find it...
julialumina
julialumina

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ Empty Re: connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:27 pm

I thought disposable cylinders were high pressure and your on-board system is low pressure as it's through a regulator. I could be totally wrong of course.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ Empty Re: connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ

Post by IanH Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pm

Not sure mucking about with gas is a good idea...............................In fact AM sure its not a good idea!

If you really must use this BBQ, then you need a qualified gas engineer
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Paulmold wrote:I thought disposable cylinders were high pressure and your on-board system is low pressure as it's through a regulator. I could be totally wrong of course.

Yeah you're correct.

I use a Cadac bbq as it's designed to use the vans bbq point, there's no need for a regulator as the pressure is already taken care of like you say.

Cadac also does the same version but with a regulator so you can use it on the bottled gas too, but it's important not to confuse the two or you could lose your eyebrows.  Without the regulator they are the same bbq though, so would be an easy transition.  However I don't know the Coleman bbq, you'd need to check where in the system the regulator is and if you can do without it, will the bbq still run correctly on the van's gas pressure etc etc.  Maybe best to simply get one designed for the vans bbq point if unsure.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am

Greyhound wrote:Yeah you're correct.

I use a Cadac bbq as it's designed to use the vans bbq point, there's no need for a regulator as the pressure is already taken care of like you say.

Cadac also does the same version but with a regulator so you can use it on the bottled gas too, but it's important not to confuse the two or you could lose your eyebrows.  Without the regulator they are the same bbq though, so would be an easy transition.  However I don't know the Coleman bbq, you'd need to check where in the system the regulator is and if you can do without it, will the bbq still run correctly on the van's gas pressure etc etc.  Maybe best to simply get one designed for the vans bbq point if unsure.
Hi Greyhound
I bet they are not the same.  confused3

The jet size for the high pressure variant would be smaller than the one designed to run on low pressure gas.

I think Ian's advice is sound. As you say, eyebrows could be lost - or possibly much worse.

I'm a bit cavalier with some things, but gas is not one of them. It has my deepest respect!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 am

Gromit wrote:

I bet they are not the same.  confused3

The jet size for the high pressure variant would be smaller than the one designed to run on low pressure gas.

Apparently they are, it just requires the correct adapter/regulator.

From the bumf on the sales patter -  "The Cadac Safari Chef 2 Lite Low Pressure Gas BBQ can be powered from a refillable gas bottle, a Cadac Power Pak or an EN417 disposable gas canister using the correct separately purchasable appropriate hose and regulator or can be connected directly into a caravan or motorhome's gas supply."
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Still can't agree Greyhound.

The bumf you quote refers only to a low pressure bbq.

The high pressure model doesn't need a regulator (and is therefore, obviously different) and cannot be powered from the van's low pressure supply outlet.

On the BBQ World website  [url=The Cadac Safari Chef 2 High Pressure can only be powered from a EN417 disposable gas canister which screw directly under the barbecue.]>> SEE HERE <<[/url] it clearly states . . . .

"The Cadac Safari Chef 2 High Pressure can only be powered from a EN417 disposable gas canister which screw directly under the barbecue."

For Julia's benefit I can only repeat Ian's caveat. Unless you really understand what you are doing, don't mess with gas!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Gromit wrote:Still can't agree Greyhound.

The bumf you quote refers only to a low pressure bbq.

I think we're going off on a tangent and at the risk of arguing over my bbq than the OP's actual query, the reason I quoted the "low pressure" version is because that's the one I have, which you can use on either supply with the correct adapter/regulator.

I used that simply as an example to show it can be done if the bbq is made to do it, but caveat in my first post that you need to be sure about this: 

However I don't know the Coleman bbq, you'd need to check where in the system the regulator is and if you can do without it, will the bbq still run correctly on the van's gas pressure etc etc.  Maybe best to simply get one designed for the vans bbq point if unsure. 

So basically in line with your concerns  smile!
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Cheers Greyhound.

Not my concerns as such - but I would hate to hear of Julia going up in smoke, hence my warnings.

In fact if she finds a connector to fit her high pressure bbq to the van supply, nothing is likely to happen . . . almost literally!

The bbq will work, but it will have the approximate power of a well puffed fag end, since the jet is far too small to allow through enough low pressure gas.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to connect a low pressure bbq directly to a gas cylinder without a regulator. That could be a fairly dramatic eyebrow plucker!  Whistle1

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Some time ago, a guy was flying along, quite happily, in his aeroplane. Suddenly the engine stopped and nothing would make it go again.

So, he jumped out and pulled his parachute ripcord...................nothing happened...

Whilst plummeting earthwards he was somewhat surprised to see another guy going the other way......up

He shouted across to him and said, "excuse me, but do you know anything about parachutes?"

NO shouted the other guy, do you know anything about gas ovens???!!!

Like Gromit I'll play with more or less anything on my truck.............EXCEPT gas.

up! broomstick so_sad
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:06 pm

If it helps you both sort this difference of opinion out I have both a HP and LP Cadac Safari Chef to compare smile!

connecting on-board LPG to Coleman style BBQ B259bf10
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Unfortunately all this talk of Cadacs doesn't answer the OP question. Is the Coleman BBQ a HP or LP BBQ?
Unfortunately the OP had not come back to answer although has been back to the forum since posting the question.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Agreed Paul but as you know this happens so often (the O/P doesn’t respond to many helpful replies).
It’s no wonder the thread goes off topic a bit.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Agreed Paul but as you know this happens so often (the O/P doesn’t respond to many helpful replies).
It’s no wonder the thread goes off topic a bit.
A few of them do say "Thanks" though . . . occasionally!  rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

If the gas is in a can, throwaway when empty type, then it more or less has to be high pressure.
At atmospheric pressure, then only the enclosed volume of the can can be gas.
To get a useable volume, then the only way is to increase the pressure, for example 5 bar (circa 70psi,) will give 5 x the can volume.

Still say it'd be best to bin this BBQ and get a proper LPG one.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down