The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking

5 posters

Go down

Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking Empty Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 am

Hi,
Recently bought a VW Clubman GL. 
Used the fridge on gas Thursday and it worked absolutely fine. 

Just turned on the ignition switch this morning to light the fridge with gas- instead of the usual steady click and orange light, there’s no light and a furious clicking sound. The fridge won’t ignite. Any ideas?
Thanks blush
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Volkswagen Clubman G
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking Empty Re: Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking

Post by Paramedic Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 am

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Advice will surely be offered soon.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking Empty Re: Electrolux Fridge ignition switch clicking

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 am

Thanks so much blush

Actually discovered it last night before bed but have enough cool milk for a brew this morning so that’s all that matters!

Could potentially be because the van isn’t totally level?
But the kettle’s working fine on gas so it’s not empty.
Cheers  rolleyes
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:41 am

It might even already be on as I can feel a Slight cool stream of air around the top of the fridge- near the seal. I suppose there’s no quick way of testing this other than to wait and see if a bottle cools in an hour or so.
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am

Carefully feeling the outside fridge vent (the small exhaust one) is a good way of telling if the fridge is running on gas. It will be warm/hot.
The small gas burner viewing window inside the fridge in my previous vehicle was always difficult to see so this was my method of checking.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

wildclare likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 am

I've had this problem arise several times over the years. 
When it first started, the symptoms were much like yours, rapid clicking and flashing of the ignitor. The gas ignited, just the thing wouldn't stop flashing.
 If your fridge is working it's ok to switch off the ignitor, which is what I used to do. But eventually the unit failed and I purchased a new one. 
All explained here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

wildclare likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 am

Thanks - will look into it. So nice to have such prompt support!!allthumbz
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 am

Have looked at your link bikeralw and that sounds great if I continue to have the same issue. Was it difficult/overly complicated  to fit the new igniter unit?
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:33 am

How long have you spent clicking?

In theory no air can get into the pipework, but it does when the appliances have not been used for some time.

Our fridge is different to yours of course, but it can take at least a full minute to light - which is a long time if you look at your watch and count off the seconds.

Even then the little swine often stays alight for only a few seconds, after which I have to light it again, sometimes two or three times. (After the first time it lights quite quickly.)

Further to Dbvwt's excellent advice, if you're unsure whether or not you can feel the warmth I'd suggest you take a cautious sniff at the top outside fridge vent - at the right hand end from memory? The exhaust gases have a distinctive smell, so you'll know at once if it's alight.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:44 am

It’s definitely on. Will just have to keep an eye on the igniter switch to make sure it doesn’t have a fault on it.
Thanks so much everyone for your help/support/advice.
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 pm

wildclare wrote:Have looked at your link bikeralw and that sounds great if I continue to have the same issue. Was it difficult/overly complicated  to fit the new igniter unit?
Actually replacing the ignitor unit is very simple, no need to disturb anything to do with the gas. Access on the Nuevo is easy after removing the vent grills.
 Of course I don't know if it's the same layout on your van.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:43 am

Might buy one just to have in case it fails. Is there a YouTube video explaining how to do it or is it in the fridge manual? Thanks
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 am

Before you buy a new one, make sure you get like for like. There'll be a part number on your old unit. You'll also need the fridge model number.
Exchanging the ignitor is straightforward once you remove the grills and can see the back of the fridge.
 It's held in place by two small self-tapping screws. The sparking lead is plugged in one end of the unit and the multi-wire plug fits the socket on the other end. 
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wildclare Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Cheers Al, will let you know how it goes.
Clare
wildclare
wildclare

Female

Back to top Go down