The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

boxer wing mirrors

4 posters

Go down

boxer wing mirrors Empty boxer wing mirrors

Post by raymondo Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:18 pm

I smashed the casing of my drivers side wing mirror so ordered a new one off a certain interweb market site  - "peugeot boxer long arm  mirror" at a very reasonable price.
so far so good the arm of the mirror is a good inch longer than  the old one which wouldnt be a problem if I wasnt so tall and needed to have the seat fully back, as it is the post up the door window runs right up the middle of the mirror.
short of sending the mirror back any ideas?

did every one except me know that "long arm" came in a variety of lengths?
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

boxer wing mirrors Empty Re: boxer wing mirrors

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:04 pm

Commiserations, I broke my wing mirror on our gate post last year when reversing out down our drive. Before the dark nights I'd been reversing in. This time reversing out I was concentrating to much on where the back-end was going. I suppose the closer I got to the gate post it wasn't filling much of the mirror, but it was enough to catch the edge and meant a replacement was required. I might have managed some sort of repair with superglue but it would have showed. I needed a mirror with a short arm, looking on eBay first I realised the challenge in buying an exact replacement, so my sympathy to you here too.

If I'd have know exactly which one to buy on eBay I would have but as I didn't, I bit the bullet and went to the Peugeot dealership, ouch. At least I saved some money by fitting it myself.

I did then buy some Mirror Guards (the Somerset firm) after some research, I was looking for the strongest. They look good and I'm satisfied.

Reversing past our gateposts at least, I wont catch the mirrors again.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:04 pm

I’ve mentioned it before but thought I would do so again as mirror guards have been referred to......on the boxer van (short arm) fitting mirror guards,which I have, will prevent folding mirrors all the way in if required.I don’t find it a problem but may be worth knowing before hand if it’s something you are considering and it would be an issue.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:16 pm

mine was a clash of mirrors with a white van traveling at high speed in the opposite direction - I dont know how his mirror faired from the encounter  but mine was beyond all repair - I suppose that I could have bought a new shell (£20)but I wasnt certain that the internals were intact.
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:13 pm

Kdc wrote:I’ve mentioned it before but thought I would do so again as mirror guards have been referred to......on the boxer van (short arm) fitting mirror guards,which I have, will prevent folding mirrors all the way in if required.I don’t find it a problem but may be worth knowing before hand if it’s something you are considering and it would be an issue.
Thanks Kdc, I hadn't realised this was an issue with the short arm mirrors, it's good to know beforehand. I'd say this represents a design flaw. Folding the mirror in, the first point of contact is the small middle section of the "Mirror Guards", if this small section were cut back the mirrors would fold in even better.

When is folding in the mirrors an issue? If I'm parked on a rather narrow road, supermarket car parks, on a ferry, because they pack them in tight, any places I've forgotten?

Oh dear, do I get my dremel out to shave off a few millimeters? It would be mighty awkward. Or, Oh heck life is too short and not bother?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm

raymondo wrote:mine was a clash of mirrors with a white van traveling at high speed in the opposite direction - I dont know how his mirror faired from the encounter  but mine was beyond all repair - I suppose that I could have bought a new shell (£20)but I wasnt certain that the internals were intact.
Where would you have bought just a shell raymondo? I've kept my old broken mirror for spares, though I’d also have needed to buy a clear plastic lamp cover too to make a full repair. If these were both available I probably could have saved £££.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:32 pm

both the shell (~£20) and the indicator (~£10) are available on Ebay the full mirror (get medium length!) is about £70 probably Chinese copies but dispatched from UK so no excessive wait
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:59 pm

Peugeot and fiat only sale the glasses but you can buy the backs and indicator lens on ebay but make sure the bulb is the same .when you go to Peugeot to buy a mirror even with your reg  it list to many so you have to take off the old mirror and the part number is on the wiring. the o/s now has a temperature sensor in it so if you buy a back you need it with the hole in it. you have electric mirrors heated mirrors and the different arms the n/s can have the aerial in it as well on some vans .so you can get them for a better price but make sure  your getting the correct mirror for your van
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down