The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More repairs

+4
Peter Parkes
kaspian
groundhog
Dave 418
8 posters

Go down

More repairs Empty More repairs

Post by Dave 418 Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 pm

I have at last got rid of the rust spots on the o/s wheel arch. To my relief they were only surface rust. A quick burst with the dremel and rust eater they were primed and sprayed. After cutting the new paint in I realise the rest of the cab requires polishing. 
Digging in the workshop and shed I appear to have no polish. We had a few metallic painted cars recently so not requiring polish. Any suggestions as to what polish other people use on there cabs. 
Whilst waiting for paint to dry I touched up a couple of bits of rust proofing under the wheel arches and the tow bar. I should be a master at this after owning Landrovers and a rusty Duetto. Even wearing gloves the stuff manages to get into places it shouldn’t, yuk!!!.
Ordered some more rust proofing gunk from BiltHamber to spray the none brush bits that need touching up. There spray cans are easier than dragging air lines up the drive and cleaning my rust proofing gun afterwards. 
I am starting to run out of tinkering things. Even the workshop projects are slowing down. We have a kitchen roll holder on order for the Rienza. Maybe this is a sign of time we should be on the move again.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

More repairs Empty Re: More repairs

Post by Dave 418 Thu May 28, 2020 8:37 pm

BiltHamber gunk arrived today. Grotty overalls dug out from under the bench so it looks like it will be a grotty days work this weekend. I will have to wait until people are not wanting out because I will block the drive.
On a nicer note we have ordered a small slow cooker for the van. We use the one at home a lot so we thought it would be a nice addition for use on sites with hook up. The one at home is big enough to feed a regiment so a small one will be ok for us two. We are trying to eat better when we are away rather than ready meals. We have storage space for it.
Management reminded me we have only had two slow cookers in 39 years. The first one was a wedding present, that one had a new pot before it packed in.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm

Polishing the cab...you need something to cut the paint back to a glossy finish, farecla, clay bar, T cut, choose your weapon and then something to protect the now gleaming paint or you will be back to square one in a couple of weeks. Personally a fan of Meguiars flagship wax.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu May 28, 2020 10:06 pm

I havnt used the Meguirs polish and I remember why after checking the price. The cab isn’t too bad probably only needing a  mild polish. If it wasn’t for the shiny wheel arch it wouldn’t have considered polishing the rest of the cab. 
I will look into what’s available after I have recovered from rust proofing this weekend.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Dave, Stuff the cans get the gun out and do a ' proper job' !! hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm

When we bought the Rienza I did a full rust proof with the gun. This weekend it will be the doors and sills because I ran out of gunk last time. Also I noticed a couple of places I must have missed under the corners of the cab were it meets the habitation floor. 
My Landrovers were slower than most with the amount of gunk they were covered in underneath.I had use of ramps and a pit then. Now it’s a matter of grovelling on the floor and getting filthy. In the process of down sizing my tools I kept my trolley jack and heavy axle stands so that will make things a bit easier and safer.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Grotty job of the year done. allthumbz The touch up of the rust proofing didnt take as long as I thought it would but it sure is a mucky job. I managed to do it with the van on the floor. I have found a cure for grey hair, BiltHamber UB. Overalls, gloves but forgot my hat tap_fingers .
The worst bit I found was the back corner of the cab were it joins the habitation body. It must be in line with the wheels trapping any muck thrown up from the road. 
When I treated my Discovery I used the ramp at work. The duty fitters parked there cars in the workshop at the weekends. One of the fitters had the bonnet on his Peugeot re sprayed. Parking it at the end of the ramps wasnt his best idea. The whole front was cover in a fine mist of rust proofing. The boss was highly amused, he didnt like the guy. I never did find out how he got it off his car. My Discovery was well rust proofed and that was all I cared about. hugegrins
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:50 am

Whilst I am in the process of fixing things on the Rienza I have a question for any other Rienza owners. 
Our outside locker door has a couple of bits of electrical cable acting as stays to stop the door from opening too far and straining the hinges. I have had to crimp new ends on a couple of times. This is bit DIY and is a cheap looking. 
What if any stays are  fitted to yours  pls ?.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

More repairs Empty Rienza doorframe/locker

Post by Peter Parkes Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 am

Same as you Dave but proper bowden cable - not looked on ebay yet so maybe new ones there. It is the same on our bathroom door so I may get three new ones. Hope that helps.
Peter Parkes
Peter Parkes

Male

Member Age : 78
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks Peter, . As I said mine dosnt look right. I did look on the internet but the only ones I found  were too short and from an American site. I have some cable in the dark corner of the workshop so I see a bit of workshop time coming up.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:11 pm

I had replacements from the AS spare department a couple of years ago. I remember that they have two different length versions.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:41 pm

After finding the cable I can only find electrical crimp on ends so whilst I wait for Autosleepers to answer my parts enquire as suggested by Peter I will see about ordering some ends to solder on.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:48 pm

As I've dug it out, I might as well post

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
invoice:
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:01 pm

If you want strong but thin cable, visit a fishing shop! There is a tracer line for pike made of nylon coated stainless steel, 40Kg breaking if I recall (I'm not a fisherman!)
Same shop has crimps for creating loops in the ends, and neat rubber sleeves which slide down over them. up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:26 pm

This is what they should look like:

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks folks. I have lots to go on now. I will try something myself with the cable I have found, I think its throttle cable, oks the same gauge as the one in the picture. 
Sadly the hole punch in the bill from Autosleepers is right on the part number but no matter I have the part name and lengh  to go on. I wouldnt have called it a wire pull.
Again thanks folks.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm pretty certain (looking at the original) that the part number is SB0301. As I said, I do know they do another length but I cant remember if longer or shorter.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Thanks Peter, Mine are 9" long so that will be what I need. I will give them a ring on Monday. For that price its not worth messing about. If I am lucky they will still stock them.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:03 pm

I think its only the Service Centre open at the moment but worth a call anyway just in case.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Peter Brown wrote:This is what they should look like:

They were not fitted to our van - yet another way to save fourpence on the cost of a build!

I fitted nylon cord, and sewed loops in the end with button thread. They have worked perfectly for several years now, and we use the open door as an outdoor table for cups and plates.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Gromit wrote:

I fitted nylon cord, and sewed loops in the end with button thread. They have worked perfectly for several years now, and we use the open door as an outdoor table for cups and plates.

Dave

So do we, you'll notice the old hole - the new cords were slightly longer so the 'table' drooped>
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Dave 418, you mentioned you've bought a slow cooker for your van. Rather than creating a distracting discussion about slow cookers, when your repairs are the focus here, I'll start a new thread on Accessories about slow cookers.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Having a day to myself whilst management did some catch up at a distance with her ex work friend I got some time  in the workshop to think about these locker door stays.
Form the pictures it looked like a length of cable with loops at the ends using crimped tube. As I said I have got a lot of throttle cable from my roadside days so that bit was sorted. I found some copper tube that slid on the cable to make the loops. Crimping the copper tube in the vice it was looking good. To make it look a bit nicer I put heat shrink over the crimped tube. 
Tried it on the locker door to check for length. Nine inches works right to keep the door level when open. Made a second one  and tried shutting the door. A bit tight first try but slackening the screws a bit means the cables tuck in better when closing the door.
That sort of repair suits me. It doesn’t cost a lot for some repairs. Unlike some of the newer motorhome repairs that are painfully costly to repair.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down