The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 broadway hookup socket

+3
Lucyc1937
gassygassy
roy2
7 posters

Go down

2013 broadway hookup socket Empty 2013 broadway hookup socket

Post by roy2 Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 am

can anyone tell me if there is a micro switch inside the external hookup socket. i have 240v up to the socket (end of extension)but zero voltage at the plug going into the sargent control
roy2
roy2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : bropadway ek
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

2013 broadway hookup socket Empty Re: 2013 broadway hookup socket

Post by gassygassy Sun May 24, 2020 9:33 am

I've never heard of a microswitch in the mains hook up socket, there is no need for one. I think you just have a wire come off inside the socket or where it connects to the plug into the sargent. Dismantle the socket inside the van, and the plug into the Sargent and you will probably find a loose or disconnected wire. Make sure the little screws are tight, but not so tight they cut through the copper conductors which I saw once.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 am

I had a similar problem in Bourton (same layout and size as Broadway) and found it was a loose connection, tightened everything and it worked fine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by roy2 Sun May 24, 2020 2:35 pm

gassygassy wrote:I've never heard of a microswitch in the mains hook up socket, there is no need for one. I think you just have a wire come off inside the socket or where it connects to the plug into the sargent. Dismantle the socket inside the van, and the plug into the Sargent and you will probably find a loose or disconnected wire. Make sure the little screws are tight, but not so tight they cut through the copper conductors which I saw once.
thought that was the case, but wondered if it was connected with the small lever next to the socket.do you access the back of the socket through the drawer? i think you are definately correct, got a voltage by riggling the plug. allthumbz
roy2
roy2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : bropadway ek
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm

he small lever next to the socket is the locking lever that holds the socket securely housed, I think the mains socket inside the MH is located under the offside settee in the cabinet that houses the boiler and drain valves if it is like the Bourton, if you look at position on outside of MH in relation to window, the Sargent is on the settee in the same cabinet on the Bourton.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm

If you've never had to press the lever by the socket to release the plug, and wriggling the plug makes the connection, it sounds like you may not be pushing it home far enough to make contact.
Sometimes a spray with WD40 or some such will help it plug in properly.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun May 24, 2020 4:36 pm

I'm tempted to ask if you know how to inset the plug correctly?

In case you don't, it's perhaps worth mentioning.

Open the lid on the plug and slide it horizontally into the socket, over top of where the plug will go. There is a slot for it if you look.

Then push the plug home, and the lever mentioned above will lock it into place. To remove the plug you will have to press down the lever, and if it's like ours you will have to jiggle the plug at the same time to persuade it to let go.

Like many other things, easy when you know how - but not very obvious if you haven't been shown.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun May 24, 2020 4:58 pm

That made me laugh Gromit. Thinking back only 5 years ago, I’d never had a ‘proper EHU’ socket before.
Could I get the damm thing to insert properly. Thinking there was some kind of fault I physically removed the cap and all was well till I read about the proper way to insert the plug only 2 years ago!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 pm

I'm afraid my first experience with a van-side EHU socket was the same - fold the cover back, plug it in... oh, hang on, why won't it go in properly!

Fortunately my Dad knew how it was supposed to go in, so I didn't have to resort to plug surgery...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down