The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grump for today

+8
steamdrivenandy
Quilter
groundhog
babian
kaspian
Dbvwt
Roopert
burlingtonboaby
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Grump for today Empty Grump for today

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Is it me   shrugg   Or is there a mass of new bicycle riders on the pavements , I'm not on about the "Tour de Yorkshire types ) but cyclists of all shapes and sizes riding down the pavements , obviously with novice riders onboard.
My wife who isn't the most nibble on her feet was hit by one young teen this lunchtime, followed by an adult female on her mountain bike, she also hit our dog ,Tag , he let out a load yep as the wheel ran over his front paw.
Needless to say, no apologies ,just rode on, she doesn't mind moving over for toddles etc ,but Kamikaze cyclists seem to be a new breed since lockdown has eased.
Grumpyboaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Grump for today Empty Re: Grump for today

Post by Roopert Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Same here, plus loads of family bike groups with small kids wobbling all over the place.

On the one hand it's good if it introduces people to cycling when in other circumstances they would not consider it.

But it's not so good if it makes them think that they can ignore the laws on where they can cycle and where they cannot (i.e. on the pavement).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 pm

As a keen cyclist it’s been great to see so many people out there on their bikes and I genuinely hope it carries on beyond this crisis.
However, I agree that the streets have become a bit like the Wild West!

I also wish people wouldn’t cycle with earphones in and that’s not me just being Victor Meldrew, it genuinely is dangerous. 
Only last week I saw a girl in her 20’s nearly get hit by a lorry she hadn’t heard coming.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

I agree about cyclists on pavements but would add those with electric mobility buggies. They seem to be getting bigger by the week. Where once they were small 3 wheelers that weighed a few lbs now some  appear the size of a small car! Twice on holiday I have had one run over my toes , no apology nothing and some appear to expect you to jump into the middle if the road so they can continue at full speed unhindered. I understand their need but a bit of understanding and respect required for other pavement users would not go amiss.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Oh kaspian, we have both got our grumpy heads on today smile!

I both cycle and walk the dog so see things from both sides.

When walking the dog, I always pull her over to the side of the path/track yet many cyclists speed through without so much of a nod to say thanks.
When I’m cycling I always slow down yet many dog owners don’t give a hoot and I have to stop till they go past, dogs running loose. Once again without a hint of thanks.

Bottom line, there are many cyclists and dog owners (and I’m sure many buggy drivers) that respect others but I’ve come to realise during this time that there are so many selfish people out there.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Why don't cyclists have bells when the Highway Code recommends they have one fitted!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Talisman John wrote:Why don't cyclists have bells when the Highway Code recommends they have one fitted!!

All new bikes by law do John but to save money they are now a small black plastic thing rather than the old silver ‘ring ring’ bell we all remember.

And from frequent experience when out on the bike,  however loud I shout at the joggers/walkers etc... they don’t hear a bloody thing as they have earphones in!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I know they are meant to be fitted when the bike is purchased so why don't cyclists ring them to warn pedestrians when they are on a shared pathway? I am not against bikes as I use one myself as do most of my family but there seems to be a general reluctance to ring them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Perhaps ignorance/naivety rather than reluctance John? 

As I said, I’m all for this increase in cycling but understandably many have just got on a bike for the first time in a long time and perhaps don’t realise such things. No excuse though I know.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu May 14, 2020 5:29 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Is it me   shrugg   Or is there a mass of new bicycle riders on the pavements , I'm not on about the "Tour de Yorkshire types ) but cyclists of all shapes and sizes riding down the pavements , obviously with novice riders onboard.
My wife who isn't the most nibble on her feet was hit by one young teen this lunchtime, followed by an adult female on her mountain bike, she also hit our dog ,Tag , he let out a load yep as the wheel ran over his front paw.
Needless to say, no apologies ,just rode on, she doesn't mind moving over for toddles etc ,but Kamikaze cyclists seem to be a new breed since lockdown has eased.
Grumpyboaby
Can I just add ,that this incident happened on a Pavement, along side a road, no ringing of bells, horns or hooters, no warning at all, they ploughed into them both.
Wife has a bruised elbow. tag a split claw.
enough said, rant over.   hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 pm

Kaspian, a little like the behaviour of Audi car drivers on the roads these days, also oldish merc's as well.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Babian.... I’ve got a bike, a dog and also an Audi.

I’m also a responsible guy, I feel like I’m being attacked unfairly from all corners hugegrins
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu May 14, 2020 6:34 pm

my comment was aimed at Kaspian as he was looking at buying an Audi ....ha ha.
if I was him I'd go for the skoda he spoke about, son in law has one and pulls a caravan, has three children and talks highly of its merits.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Help ma boab Babian , that's Audi out,  Merc crossed off the list , too scared to suggest BMW ! What is socially acceptable? Would suggest Range Rover but want to arrive without being on  a breakdown wagon ( wait for incoming flak)  Maseratti perhaps? Oh well stick to the Q car  Skoda but am I allowed to look at 2 litre and not 1.4  or is that not  socially acceptable too?  hugegrins  Stick to consulting my mate Clarkson in future,  remember POWER!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Wasn't there a saying in Australia some time ago "If you want to go in to the outback choose a Land Rover, if you want to come out again choose a Toyota Land cruiser" 
A reputation which is very unfair I feel.

Well done on the Skoda and ditching the Audi kaspian, 

Still as we have an ageing Mercedes and a Land Rover what would I know!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Talisman John wrote:I know they are meant to be fitted when the bike is purchased so why don't cyclists ring them to warn pedestrians when they are on a shared pathway? I am not against bikes as I use one myself as do most of my family but there seems to be a general reluctance to ring them.

We've noticed the numbers of (new? ) cyclists now riding on the pavements rather than the roads. Especially galling when the roads are much emptier and we don't ride our bikes in this country very much because the roads are generally busy and we don't like to ride on pavements.

As to bells: when riding down shared tracks eg canal towpaths we usually talk to each other when approaching walkers from behind and get off the bikes if they don't move over. Yes, we could ring our bells but it always seems a bit imperious to do so, as if we are saying " get out of my way you ".
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu May 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Quilter wrote:
As to bells: when riding down shared tracks eg canal towpaths we usually talk to each other when approaching walkers from behind and get off the bikes if they don't move over. Yes, we could ring our bells but it always seems a bit imperious to do so, as if we are saying " get out of my way you ".

Quilter, I must say you are more polite/patient than I am.

I always judge a situation as I’m approaching it and will ring the bell and voice that I’m coming past.
In recent times, so many people have earphones plugged into their ears and are completely oblivious to my intentions and also anything else that is happening outside of their bubble. I still always slow down but tell me who is in the wrong here???
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm

We do use our bells sometimes but there doesn’t seem to be a setting for “ Excuse me, I’m behind you and would like to pass” rather than “ Out of my way,  peasants”. A polite cough or calling out to my husband usually has the effect of alerting people and getting them to move over.

We go into Oxford quite frequently and the default bell setting there  seems to be much ruder !  

I still bear the mental scars of an encounter with a German cyclist in Freiburg when we were cycling along the river bank to the town. He was lycra clad, behind us coming very fast and, when I got off my bike to go up a bridge, let fly with something so utterly abusive that it practically burnt the paint off my bike. You didn’t need to know any German at all to know what he was saying.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 14, 2020 9:25 pm

groundhog wrote:Wasn't there a saying in Australia some time ago "If you want to go in to the outback choose a Land Rover, if you want to come out again choose a Toyota Land cruiser" 
A reputation which is very unfair I feel.

Well done on the Skoda and ditching the Audi kaspian, 

Still as we have an ageing Mercedes and a Land Rover what would I know!
         Hi Hog , yes I see no worth in badge snobbery, the Skoda/Audi/VW / Seat share a common parts bin so why pay more? Something in me says hold off and go electric or PHEV but prices are still silly.  Amazed at how many garages are still operating online allowing you to reserve a used car for £100  .  Lots being reserved that I have shown interest in  but who buys a car without seeing/ driving ? Mostly do  short journeys now so diesels out.....
       Used to drive  upwards of 1000 miles a week for work . Most common  car broken down at side of the road IMHO was the Range Rover!   My mate ran a blacksmiths and was a Land Rover nut  having 3, all  loaded with welding gear / generators etc to access farms / remote jobs. He used to carry spare half shafts as they were made from chocolate in his opinion. He eventually gave up , changed to Toyota pickups and never had any issues with the same loading and use. They were indestructible!
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 pm

You never see bikes with those bulb horns anymore. They made a reet grand noise tha' knows.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 am

Son works out on Exmoor doing tree work and towing very heavy loads, he owns and drives several different vehicles including L200 and Toyota but reckons the best by far is his old defender, funny how opinions differ.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Fri May 15, 2020 7:56 am

Cycling around the city where we live is hopeless. Cycling lanes, where they exist, are full of parked cars and we virtually never use of bikes now except when away in the van. Anyway, as a means of encouraging more cycling and avoiding public transport the council are going to increase cycle paths and it has been reported they will use half of the pavement where possible. Riding on these new paths when (if) they arrive and ringing my bell at those walking will not end happily I think.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am

I'd go for the skoda he spoke about, son in law has one and pulls a caravan, has three children:      (quote)

Anything that gives you that set up should be avoided at all costs  hugegrins
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri May 15, 2020 8:20 am

harrysp wrote:Cycling around the city where we live is hopeless. Cycling lanes, where they exist, are full of parked cars and we virtually never use of bikes now except when away in the van. Anyway, as a means of encouraging more cycling and avoiding public transport the council are going to increase cycle paths and it has been reported they will use half of the pavement where possible. Riding on these new paths when (if) they arrive and ringing my bell at those walking will not end happily I think.

Shame it had to take a pandemic to encourage local authorities to build cycle paths isn’t it ?  Round here we have some cycle paths but most simply end at a danger point and throw you straight into traffic. 

Oh for those miles of clearly marked and brightly painted Spanish cycle paths with proper lanes round roundabouts.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Fri May 15, 2020 8:35 am

I'm in the process of swapping cars right now.

We use a Ferplast Atlas Maxi dog crate for our two beardies, it easily fits in the van's 'boot' and in the Yeti, though we have to swing or remove the centre rear seat and slide the other two forward one notch.

The Yeti replacement 'K' series cars don't have sliding rear seats and the boots aren't deep enough for the crate, especially as they have a sloping, rather than vertical rear hatch. So that got me casting around and I'm favouring the Skoda Scala as it has a much deeper boot than the so called crossover models. The only problem is, whilst I know the base of the crate will fit, I need to actually sit it in a Scala to check that it doesn't foul the rear hatch when it closes. Of course dealers are shut and we're on self isolation due to Mrs SDA's vulnerable person letter. What a pain.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next