The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters

3 posters

Go down

Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters Empty Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters

Post by DartmoorPete Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi there,

Just noticed (lockdown inspired spring clean!) that there are dozens of flies (live & dead) and some muck in lenses of both my rear light clusters.

I removed one of the light clusters (4x screws) and unclipped & removed the metal bar which holds the bulbs into position. Whilst I was able to shake a few flies out of the unit through the light holes, most flies still remained. 

Does anyone know if the light cluster is a sealed unit or is there some way of separating the white plastic assembly (at back of cluster) from the lens (front of cluster) so I can get at the insides & clean it out?

If sealed, I guess I could try and find an airline from somewhere and attempt to blast them out through the light holes....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Pete
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Classic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters Empty Re: Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters

Post by glyne lock Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:39 pm

all you can do is put the lens in a bowl or bucket  of water leave over night then shake water around to clean the inside then dry out .as you have the bulb holder out spray some electrical spray over it or wd 40 or duck oil as we use in the trade
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters Empty Re: Nuevo - Flies in Rear Light Clusters

Post by Roopert Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Another option is to gaffer tape a piece of tube onto the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle and suck them out.

I've also had to deploy a chopstick or bent piece of wire with blu-tak on the end (to retrieve the bits of an exploded LED lamp) but you need to be really careful, or you end up with a lens full of flies and an annoying bit of blu-tak! Unsurprisingly, it's quite hard to remove if it "escapes" from the end of the stick...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by DartmoorPete Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 pm

Glyne/Roopert,

Some of great ideas there which I'll try - many thanks!

Pete
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Classic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down