The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried?

+3
Quilter
KimF
Maureen57
7 posters

Go down

Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried? Empty Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried?

Post by Maureen57 Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 pm

I've recently seen an advertisement for THERMAL COOKING POT.  Simmer pot on hob for between 10 - 20 mins depending on food contents. Take off heat source. Then place pot with lid,  INTO the Thermal insulated container and close lid. Leave up to 8hrs while the food cooks slowly with the residual heat. (no other heat source required). Sounds good if you do not have an oven in your Motorhome. Has anyone got experience with this type of Cooking Pot. I'm asking because the price is around the £100 +.  Alot of money to spend if you tell me that its not as good as it sounds. Would appreciate any comments. THANKYOU.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried? Empty Thermal Cooker

Post by KimF Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm

We've had one for years ( link below ) and use it both at home and on the campervan. It's a good piece of kit.

Kim

https://mrdscookware.com/
KimF
KimF

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried? Empty Re: Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried?

Post by Quilter Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 am

In the good ( ?) old days they were known as hay boxes and have been made and used by thousands from the forces, scouts and WI onwards.

Easy to make your own virtually cost-free from polystyrene and a coolbox or similar - see Google. 

Try before you buy...?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried? Empty Re: Thermal Cooking Pot - anyone tried?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Not quite what I believe you are describing but we have used the following pots, direct on the gas ring.   Pyroflam Vitro Ceramic Pot 2 Litres  Very versatile and less than £20 when we got them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Have a look on facebook, there are vlogs by the Happy travellers, his name is Steve. There is a link below one of his vlogs of one he uses and demonstrated in his motorhome. You should be able to find the relevant vlog. He and his wife Wendy are full timers so will have given theirs a lot of use.

Hope this helps.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Was watching Steve's vlog about this slow cooker yesterday on youtube, they describe their experience, their meal as a disaster. Apparently they hadn't heated up the ingredients enough. I didn’t find an update but noticed his recent health issues.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi Maureen

If you are contemplating spending that sort of money, you might like to look at a Remoska, or for very much less of an outlay, perhaps a slow cooker.

Both use low power so unlikely to trip a campsite supply, and far more versatile than a hay box.

Just a thought.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:19 am

I second the Remoska.  Mine is about 15 years old, used at home and in the MH at least twice a week and still going strong (though it looks a bit.... rustic now). I believe the design has been improved of late, and the newer model is more stable.  If mine ever gives up I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:24 am

Our Remoskas are the most well used bit of kit in the van and at home and I would not be without them. They aren’t a lot of use off hook up however or to cook food while you are on the move, something a hay box can do.
If we had a bigger van then I would make a hay box cooker from a cold box but we have nowhere to carry one.

The newer model Remoska doesn’t have the glass panel in the lid and the lid is slightly lower than the old one so cooking whole chickens means more measuring and flattening before you buy. I don’t like the new model stand either: too easy to knock the pan off. I use a thick cork mat instead.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen57 Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:28 am

The reason for me using the Thermal Pot is because I 'wild camp/off grid' - VERY rarely on hook up. So would be using the Thermal Pot as I'm on the road not parked on camp site. Thankyou for all your helpful comments.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down