The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway without a fire

+6
ajrm
gassygassy
Peter Brown
AndyRoyd
burlingtonboaby
seaviews
10 posters

Go down

Broadway without a fire Empty Broadway without a fire

Post by seaviews Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi forgive me if it’s been covered before 

Am thinking of buying a 2012 broadway EL van but I understand it doesn’t come with a fire in place.

If so, is this a suitable choice for someone like us, who like to go wild camping and normally use our gas fire to heat the van until we get warm.

Also if we use the gas heating, are we going to trash the leisure battery more than we would with a gas fire?

Any thoughts by members would be very much appreciated and helpful. 

Thanks

Patrick
seaviews
seaviews

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Broadway without a fire Empty Re: Broadway without a fire

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi Patrick
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington.
Boaby
P.S try phoning A/S at Willersey ,they might be able to retro fit a new gas fire for you ?  01386853511
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm

I have a 2012 Broadway and it utilizes blown air heating, although this works really well it does use 12v for the fan so yes the leisure battery will take a hit,
I have fitted a 120 watt solar panel which keeps the batteries topped up and have used the heater off grid to warm the van up but switch it off when going to bed, I just make sure I have a high tog duvet in the winter.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:52 pm

It was about that time that they moved from installing the Trumatic fire and Ultrastore water heater to using the Truma Combi, I think the early ones were the 4E, not as powerful as the current 6E.

The space heater element is blown air so no heat without using battery power, possible adequate off hook up for late spring and early autumn but no for a real cold spell.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I have had the Truma blown air heating in many recent vans (Compulsive Van Changing Disorder here!) and always leave the gas heating on overnight if it stands a chance of getting chilly. The heater will not use any battery unless it is on and blowing. You just switch the thermostat to 10 degrees or thereabouts and only when the room temp goes below 10 will it turn on. When it is warmed up it switches off and the battery is not used. The fan isn't a very big electric user anyway. Don't worry, just use it

I must admit though, as a retired gas engineer I would rather have the old Trumatic fire (I presume you refer to the upright rectangular one fixed to a vertical panel with horizontal fins) than the new computerised blown air one. I fixed one of these once, took it to bits and looked at the pcb. "That pcb looks like £300 of anyone's money, I bet" I said to myself. Luckily it wasn't the pcb, just the thermostat. If anyone is interested the temperature sensor is the little black / dark brown button on the wall near the habitation door. These are the same as are used in domestic gas boilers and cost about £10, so don't let anyone fob you off with some tale that they are an expensive item!

PPS I personally wouldn't have the fancy heating with radiators and plumbing. Too much extra weight for one thing, pipes full of coolant, anti-freeze that has to be changed regularly by a qualified engineer, (of which I am one) and even more expensive computers to go wrong. I can't see the point of it. Perhaps even less point than having a heated grey water tank. Who on earth wants that??????
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:20 am

We used our Broadway ( with Truma 4 heating) all year round. We rarely use campsites so no electric hookups, but managed all through the winters keeping warm. Even 4 weeks in the Pyrenees. We had 3x 110 ah leisure batteries and 120watts of solar power and never came near to flattening the batteries. 
Mind you, we didn’t have a tv!

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:44 am

ajrm wrote:. . . We had 3x 110 ah leisure batteries and 120watts of solar power and never came near to flattening the batteries. 
Mind you, we didn’t have a tv!
You sound just like me. Pyrennees. Solar power. Several batteries (I think two is ample, one is probably enough but hey they only cost the same as a tank of diesel so you may as well have two or three if you have the space).
As for TV: If you are so bored with the place you have stopped at that you need to watch TV, get in the driver's seat and go somewhere interesting. That is what a camper is for.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:44 am

a truma combi 4e will be fine in a smallish van running on gas. as said, it will use a small bit of battery power but not that much.
on thing with a fully plumbed system like the combi is that there will (should) be an outlet in all corners of the van, so the washroom can be heated at the same time, whereas a fire just heats from one point and to heat (say) the wash room, a door has to be left open.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:17 am

Our fire heats the washroom, as it has the blown air as well, it is very toasty, going away soon so needs to be.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Our Broadway always felt cooler at the front. The Combi was under the French bed with just two outlets under the bed blowing past the kitchen to the front, and one in the bathroom connected to a heated towel rail. We kept warm up to -10 though it was still cooler if you sat in the cab seats. 
I don’t know how many outlets the newer vans have ( ours was a 2013) but more outlets would be better to ensure the whole van stays warm. 
Our latest van has 13 heater outlets and a heated double floor.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:11 pm

We experienced the older Truma combi in a bigger (non-AS) van than the Broadway and found it barely adequate but the thermostat was badly placed and there were insufficient hot air outlets for the size of the van. A fire would have been a definite benefit but I suspect the 4e will cope in the Broadway given its smaller size and, probably, more modern insulation. Much depends on the placing of the hot air outlets.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:55 pm

ajrm wrote:
I don’t know how many outlets the newer vans have ( ours was a 2013) but more outlets would be better to ensure the whole van stays warm. 
Our latest van has 13 heater outlets and a heated double floor.

When we bought our Broadway EK- new- in 2014 ( though built in 2013) it was sold as having the Winter Pack fitted. On inspection it turned out to have a 4kW rather than the 6kW Truma combi heater that is part of the pack.. AS took it back to fit the 6kW version and, at the same time, added another hot air outlet as this is apparently necessary with the 6kW heater. 

This was the first van we have had with blown air heating and it is much more comfortable than the previous 3 which all had a dual fuel fire. The problem there was that your head was hot but floor and feet freezing. In the first van the thermostat had been positioned directly above the kettle shelf so every time you boiled water the heating went off. We bought a portable thermostat for that so could move it around until we found a suitable position.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:30 pm

I have 200 amps of battery  and managed 5 cold nights OK .with power left .I am considering a relion 100 amph lithium battery  .waiting for advice from Sargent  as not sure  if the 328 is suitable  or not .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am

Quilter wrote:

When we bought our Broadway EK- new- in 2014 ( though built in 2013) it was sold as having the Winter Pack fitted. On inspection it turned out to have a 4kW rather than the 6kW Truma combi heater that is part of the pack.. AS took it back to fit the 6kW version and, at the same time, added another hot air outlet as this is apparently necessary with the 6kW heater. 
Well my gob is smacked! I am astonished as well.
How on earth can a manufacturer build a camper to a spec and leave out something like a 6kw heater and fit a 4kw heater. Don't they have any form of build routine or quality control? I've never heard of anything like that and in all my years of buying new and used campers I have never thought to check that it has the actual engine, or heater, or all the other gumph that the maker claims. Wow, you have to check everything nowadays, don't you?
I have recently found out that the solar panel on my Nuevo is actually 30 Watts (about as much use as a chocolate fire guard) and I thought I saw somewhere that it was 80 Watts, (almost good enough). Now I will have to dig out the spec and see what it says. Mind you, it is a 2015 so I doubt if A/S will fit an 80W panel now under Sales of Goods Act, specially as I am not the first owner.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:44 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Patrick
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington.
Boaby
P.S try phoning A/S at Willersey ,they might be able to retro fit a new gas fire for you ?  01386853511
Boaby
Hi Seaviews
Did you purchase the Broadway EL from Springfield motorhomes in Bridlngton?, I had a look at it last February and it looked a nice van, I see they had reduced the price down a good bit too. up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down