The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Search For Sites’ app

+4
roli
Roger G
Paulmold
Sally
8 posters

Go down

‘Search For Sites’ app Empty ‘Search For Sites’ app

Post by Sally Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 am

I had the ‘search for sites’ app downloaded, but to continue past the trial period it costs £6 year. But the website opened on my phone is free!

Does anyone use the paid app over the website and is there really such an issue with no data coverage. I’m all for spending my money  hugegrins  but this just seems a bit strange. What am I missing?
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

‘Search For Sites’ app Empty Re: ‘Search For Sites’ app

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:44 pm

I don't remember a trial period. I've had the app on both phone and tablet for few years now. I've never heard of a pay version and wouldn't pay anyway, I find the app perfectly adequate and can't think what else a pay version could give.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:32 pm

The Paulmold wrote:I don't remember a trial period. I've had the app on both phone and tablet for few years now. I've never heard of a pay version and wouldn't pay anyway, I find the app perfectly adequate and can't think what else a pay version could give.
Hi Paul - when I open the app it says I need to pay to get the features. So I can’t see any of the sites or get any of the information.  I was going to stop using it, but then opened up the website, on safari, and it works. 

So it’s the app that is charging, but yours doesn’t. That’s very strange.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Apologies Sally, I apparently don't have the app but the website instead. Reading the small print it says it's a simplified version and if I want to use it offline then I need to download the app which presumably will be a trial then pay version.
But as you say, is there really a data connection issue? Not anywhere I've been, most areas now get 4g but even 3g or H+ is good enough to get access to the website version. I'll stick with that. 
The app was only launched in 2018 so I couldn't have that as I've been using search for sites for a few years.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Paulmold wrote:Apologies Sally, I apparently don't have the app but the website instead. Reading the small print it says it's a simplified version and if I want to use it offline then I need to download the app which presumably will be a trial then pay version.
But as you say, is there really a data connection issue? Not anywhere I've been, most areas now get 4g but even 3g or H+ is good enough to get access to the website version. I'll stick with that. 
The app was only launched in 2018 so I couldn't have that as I've been using search for sites for a few years.
Hi Paul - that’s cleared it up. I suppose they are charging for offline functionality, but a little bit of planning with data goes a long way. Fail to plan and you plan to fail, as my granny used to say.

Thanks for your help; I thought I was missing something and two heads are better than one.

It’s a great site though, I think I saw your mention of it once and it’s really useful.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger G Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm

For someone who has put a lot of time and effort in producing such a great app and website, I don't see contributing £6 towards that great work as a problem!

Roger
Roger G
Roger G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1993

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Roger G wrote:For someone who has put a lot of time and effort in producing such a great app and website, I don't see contributing £6 towards that great work as a problem!

Roger
I agree £6 is not much but why isn't it mentioned when you first download the app. It may tell me on the mobile web version that I need the app version to access offline but again it doesn't say anything about paying after a trial period. Hidden charges are not appreciated by me. Voluntary contributions such as for this forum are perfectly acceptable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger G Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 am

Paulmold wrote:
Roger G wrote:For someone who has put a lot of time and effort in producing such a great app and website, I don't see contributing £6 towards that great work as a problem!

Roger
I agree £6 is not much but why isn't it mentioned when you first download the app. It may tell me on the mobile web version that I need the app version to access offline but again it doesn't say anything about paying after a trial period. Hidden charges are not appreciated by me. Voluntary contributions such as for this forum are perfectly acceptable.
I agree that although £6 is a small price to pay for the product, it should be up front in the promotion.

Roger
Roger G
Roger G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Having thought about it, I’ve decided to pay for the app!  My reasoning was:
1) it’s one of the best and most complete ones I’ve tried, and I find it easier to use on my phone than the website. 
2) the offline functionality is not a bad thing to have, although definitely not essential.
3) if the £6 a year helps to keep it going and updated, it’s not a bad price.
4) having just spent £20 on wellies from Joules, £15 on a digital photography book, and £22 on a rechargeable cupboard light, I realised that £6 really was a bargain  smile!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 pm

£20 for wellies from Joules is a bigger bargain. I know they normally sell for around £40. How do I know? My better half has a huge wardrobe of Joules items including wellies (they were a present thank goodness, I despair at £40 for wellies).
Back to topic, I find the mobile website version very easy to use on phone (and tablet).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Paulmold wrote:£20 for wellies from Joules is a bigger bargain. I know they normally sell for around £40. How do I know? My better half has a huge wardrobe of Joules items including wellies (they were a present thank goodness, I despair at £40 for wellies).
Back to topic, I find the mobile website version very easy to use on phone (and tablet).
I’m a bargain hunter  smile!

Navy Lilly Stripe Molly Printed Wellies size 6 £16.76
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Sally wrote:
Paulmold wrote:£20 for wellies from Joules is a bigger bargain. I know they normally sell for around £40. How do I know? My better half has a huge wardrobe of Joules items including wellies (they were a present thank goodness, I despair at £40 for wellies).
I’m a bargain hunter  smile!

Navy Lilly Stripe Molly Printed Wellies size 6 £16.76
Sound like the same as Carols. They are permanently in the van and have never been worn.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 pm

We have used UK Campsites for years (free) and it also lists Club sites so you can get a view of whats in an area with various search options.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 pm

roli wrote:We have used UK Campsites for years (free) and it also lists Club sites so you can get a view of whats in an area with various search options.
I always use the two together and read the reviews on both.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am

I've just downloaded this app after reading about it on here. It seems really good, ive also downloaded the offline maps, no charge mentioned only voluntary subscription,
I like how it's set out and I've found sites that are not on other aps, but best of all, hardly any advertisements.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 am

fenderbender wrote:I've just downloaded this app after reading about it on here. It seems really good, ive also downloaded the offline maps, no charge mentioned only voluntary subscription,
I like how it's set out and I've found sites that are not on other aps, but best of all, hardly any advertisements.

Dave
Hi Dave - I agree, the layout of this one is really good. 

The website remains free, but the app is for a trial period and when it runs out (I can’t remember how long it’s for) it’s then £6 year. That’s for the app, the website using safari or google etc remains free. So it’s a decision as to which suits you best, but the websites and the app are both terrific. 

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 pm

I renewed my subscription today. On doing so it directed me to update information on sites and reviews.Maybe that’s a difference between free and paid versions, I don’t know but like others have mentioned I find it a good source of info and value at 5.99
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:53 am

Very happy with searchforsites, my go to choice,  £6 is a cup of coffee and a biscuit after all.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 am

Yep, I’ve just renewed. If it helps to keep it going then great. I find it better than some other apps  up!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:09 pm

We’ve found it to be an excellent useful app. We paid £4.99 I think, but worth it. We’re currently touring Scotland on sites mainly found on the app. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down