The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from Glasgow

+12
andygump
whisky
bulldog01
peugeotboxer
dandywarhol
CC
Dutto
roli
burlingtonboaby
deckie
Paulmold
Anne Glasgow
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Hi from Glasgow

Post by Anne Glasgow Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi, I'm Anne from Glasgow, Scotland. I'm looking to purchase my first Auto Sleeper and as I'm a female with little knowledge of these things, I thought I would join the forum and perhaps receive some useful advice before I part with my hard earned cash! Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

My concerns are that there are so many makes and models and specifications! The prices vary so much and I'm not sure wether to get a good second hand van/older van for my first van, or pay a bit more for a newer one initially? I was also thinking of a VW van to start with, which I felt could be quite reliable and keep it's price etc.

I would also like to have more than two berths, so that I had options to take my daughter and granddaughter. A shower onboard would be fab too.
Another concern is how easy it would be to drive? As I mentioned before, I'm female and generally just used to driving my car and not something as big as an autosleeper.

Running and maintenance costs need to be considered too and I realise these will much depend on the age of the van and the size and engine etc.

If anyone has a few minutes to spare to give me some good honest advice before I buy, I would be ever so grateful.

Many thanks,

Anne :)
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Volkswagen

Back to top Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Re: Hi from Glasgow

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum from North Wales handshake
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

hi-2010 Anne,

Welcome to the forum,

Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid ..... we all have different Auto-Sleeper types (and needs !!).

Our 'Clubman' is a small two berth "Monocoque" on the 2.4 VW chassis, so would not suit.

Good luck with your search .... and remember .... it must be an Auto-Sleeper up! hugegrins

Brian & Chris

Last edited by deckie on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Re-Hi from Glasgow

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Anne
A very warm welcome to the forum from sunny Bridlington,( wifes from Rossie)
Boaby sun
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:45 pm

asof_welcome2

Hello Anne, think what you are looking for in a VW would limit you to a used AutoSleeper such as a 3 berth Gatcombe or Clubman Anniversary (two in the bed and a small person in the luton!!!.
Options really open up on the Pugeot base vehicles starting with the Nuevo variants and moving upwards in size.

Many people think some vans are larger than they are. We know of a couple who were looking for a Clubman until they realised the Executive was only around 1 foot longer and the widths about the same.

Our advice normally suggests looking round for a few months so you see as many models as possible and only when you have shortlisted start talking to dealers about prices. What ever you do it will be a major expense so dont be tempted to rush into anything
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for your advice Roger. Much appreciated. So far I've just been looking online and I hope to get to see some soon, so no doubt I'll get a bit more of an idea once I've seen some and maybe even test driven one! I'll bear in mind what you've advised.

Cheers

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi there,

Welcome from a cold but sunny Skegness. beachball

I suggest that the smallest motorhome that has "everything" is the Duetto and it is very easy to drive, especially with cruise control and even more especially if you can find an automatic!!!! But I am a tad biased. allthumbz allthumbz

Incidentally, I was glad that you explained that you were from Glasgow, Scotland as a lot of people down here always thought Glasgow was in Wales. lol4 lol4

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Dutto, should I take it you were joking about people thinking Glasgow was in Wales!? It's good to know people here have a great sense of humour and it's making me wish I had my van right now so that I could actually get out and catch up with other owners.

Thanks so much for taking the time to pass on your views. Much appreciated.

The weather here is mild with heavy showers by the way.

Cheers

Anne

Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi from Glasgow 334u0wp

Welcome to ASOF Anne

You may find the van conversions like the Tridents & Symbols not really big enough for your needs as these are ideally suited to couples.. The Tridents do have a bed in the roof space suitable for small children but not sure about the Symbols (others will advise) The advice given so far is good, have a look around a few dealers or get yourself to one of the motorhome shows if you can, have a look at van conversions or the monocoques like the Clubman which really is a cracking motorhome.. plenty of help and advice on this site so just ask for any info you need, we are very lucky to have such a great bunch of really helpful members here who make everyone welcome in such a friendly way.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Anne,

For "humour" read "sarcastic git"!! wave wave

Whole world seems topsy-turvy. Colder here in Skegness than Glasgow - as our friends for 25 years up near Tesco on the Kirkintilloch road have kept pointing out this year!!! tap_fingers

Now you have warm weather as well I can see the day when "Sunny Glasgow" will become the holiday destination of choice for the hordes of English people that currently head south to Benidorm and beyond. Luckily for me I will be dead by then! allthumbz

Enjoy your search. They are great fun! bow

Best regards,
drinksallround

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome to another Scot.

BTW Roli - the Clubman anniversary only had the option of the luton bed - most appear to be 2 berth, although we can sleep 3 lengthways with ease on the settee beds if the weather is too cold to put junior outside in the awning!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Great advice and chat from all replies. Many many thanks. I'll look at all options before jumping in!

Cheers,

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Anne Glasgow

Welcome to the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi PB,

Thanks for the welcome.

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldog01 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

asof_welcome2 asof_welcome2
bulldog01
bulldog01

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Anne.

Welcome to the forum from Nottinghamshire.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi Whisky,

Thanks for the welcome message.

Cheers

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Hello Bulldog,

Many thanks for your welcome message.

Cheers

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Hallorerrhowsitgawnthen, Annie

Thought I would welcome you in the Glesca parlance, just to make you feel at home.

Welcome to the Forum. I have had the Trident on the VW chassis, and a Duetto on the the Ford. Both these vehicles were great Campervans, but not suitable for anymore than two people( + maybe one small child). If you are only going to have more than two occaisionally (using the giant double bed), I think the Duetto would be better suited to yours needs, as it has a nice toilet and shower, and bench seat beds, so option of singles or large double, the Tridents bed layout is a faff. The Ford Transit engine is a great workhorse, and of course spares are plentiful and cheap, but do look out for rust around the wheel arches and bottom of the back doors.

I now have the Executive, mainly because my wife is disabled, and we needed a bit more space, but I love the layout.

What ever you decide, take your time and ask ask ask .

Orrabesthen

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Go for a VW Clubman -

Post by wilfenix Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Glasgow - Í bought an R reg. Clubman and it's a ladylike drive - I'm a bloke by the way - It's shorter than móst and that is handy when you need to park the thing. It's still longer than a car - Looking at the various motorhomes is fascinating but go outside and remember that wherever you go on a site no problem but if you go into the nearby town or village or supermarket YOU GOTTA PARK IT.. So think small is our advice - Me & the Wife - Have a test drive in a VW Clubman - It's a better drive than our car.. Good Hunting ....Cheers Wilf
wilfenix
wilfenix

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman .

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Andy,

That was a nice welcome. Thanks very much. And for the advice also. I'll take note of all you experienced
Van owners advices when I start my search. I'm so looking forward to being part of what seems like a very interesting hobby!

Cheers,

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Glasgow Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi Wilf,

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably need to travel a bit just to see as many vans as possible before I get an idea what would be suitable for me, but I'll certainly keep in mind what you've suggested. I've driven a Luton box top van before, so I'm sure I'll manage, although with a bit of trepidation initially. All part of the fun I suppose. Thanks

Anne
Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Just saw wilfenix slide a sneaky intro into this thread, Welcome to the forum. Before I saw your van was R reg I had sent you a private message, so you can forget it!
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Hello from Glasgow - Update

Post by Anne Glasgow Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello all, just thought I would post an update on my previous welcome as a new member. If I should have posted this elsewhere, please let me know and apologies in advance!

Since I last posted, I've still been unable to purchase anything and I just missed what I thought might be a nice Van to get me through the summer, with the option of trading it in next year, or selling it to get some money back towards a newer van. I'm recovering from a leg injury and unable to get around as I'd like to right now, so I've been restricted on where I can buy or see a van that would suit my needs. I'm also only able to work two days a week at present due to my leg injury, so I've had to rethink my finances and commitment to costs etc.

I enquired about a 1990 Talbot Express Campervan with 55,000 miles on. I was told they were genuine. It looked really good for the year etc, with 4 berths and a shower. Someone put a deposit on it before I could get to view it, so I'll just keep looking for the time being. It's a little frustrating as I feel that I'm going to miss out on travelling this summer if I don't get something soon. I did hope to get a far newer van initially, but if I get a decent older one and look after it, it should be re sellable next year?

I would be really interested in any thoughts or advice on my plan of action, just to help me consider what to do for the best? Should I buy old and cheap now or hold off until next year for something newer and miss out on some good times just now confused3

Happy travelling everyone.

Anne

Anne Glasgow
Anne Glasgow

Female

Back to top Go down

Hi from Glasgow Empty Welcome

Post by Annasdora Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:24 pm

hi
And welcome that's more like it more females girl power from Dora in very wet glasgow
Annasdora
Annasdora

Female

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Ford transit flair

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next