The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing Omni Directional to Directional

5 posters

Go down

Changing Omni Directional to Directional Empty Changing Omni Directional to Directional

Post by jaybee3946 Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Has any body changed their flying saucer ariel for the 540 style vision plus directional ariel with the mast. My A/S is a Symbol on a 2000 Boxer
JB.
jaybee3946
jaybee3946

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Symbol

Back to top Go down

Changing Omni Directional to Directional Empty Re: Changing Omni Directional to Directional

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Not done the swop as we are perfectly happy with our flying saucer. The problem I can envisage though is the fact that the mast will intrude into your wardrobe space. There is little enough space in our Symphony and presumably your Symbol not to want to lose wardrobe space and the fact that you will need to have access to the mast to raise and lower it.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Changing Omni Directional to Directional Empty Re: Changing Omni Directional to Directional

Post by jaybee3946 Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Yes that might stir the wrath of the boss as it's her wardrobe mine's the shower
jaybee3946
jaybee3946

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

There are two lengths of mast we have the shorter one and it comes into the wardrobe about 12 inches. Well worth you swop though vast improvement over the omnidirectionals
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybee3946 Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Did you actually change from one to the other if so is it straightfoward.
JB.
jaybee3946
jaybee3946

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 am

No we had it done before delivery. A-S used to fit the omnidirectionals which I didnt want. Status mounting points are common so I imagine its quite a straightforward job. Aerial amps will be the same so no extra wireing as the rotator system is the "armstrong type" (your arm) there is a tilt knob for changing from horizontal polarization to vertical depending on the local transmitter type.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 am

jaybee3946 wrote:Did you actually change from one to the other if so is it straightfoward.
JB.

Although as said previously, I've not changed over, I have removed the saucer to replace a broken stem and I can tell you that for the saucer type all you have going through the roof is a hole just big enough for for cable. The roof on our Symphony (and I presume yours is the same) is about 1" thick so you are going to have to cut (drill) a much larger hole for the pole of the directional type and then seal up the three holes from the screws holding down the foot of the saucer.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 am

Hi jaybee3946.

Check out Status in Nottingham on the internet. They supply all of this equipment to AS. They are extremely helpful and will deal with you direct.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybee3946 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 am

Thank's Whisky I did actually send them an email last night.
Thank's for the thought JB.
jaybee3946
jaybee3946

Male

Back to top Go down

Changing Omni Directional to Directional Empty Changing Omni Directional Aerial

Post by Colin D Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

I was going to fit a Status Directional to my Topaz but my local dealer advised not to due to the amount of "damage" drilling through the roof and the Wardrobe.I contacted A/S and they now fit Teleco Omni Directional to the new Topaz and the Booster fits inside the Crockery cupboard.I've had one fitted and touch wood its been fine. Cheers ColinD up!
Colin D
Colin D

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down