The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Worcester Height

+2
Liam
rventhusiast
6 posters

Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty 2013 Worcester Height

Post by rventhusiast Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi everyone,

It's always a little tricky going by stated specification figures I know but the 2013 Worcester model is shown as having a height of 2.88m ex works - would anyone know if that includes the height of everything on the roof including TV aerial, awning and the (fitted as original equipment) Dometic Air conditioner?

Main reason for checking is that I have a carport with a clearance of 3.0m and would like to avoid rearranging that!

Many thanks.
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Re: 2013 Worcester Height

Post by Liam Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:21 pm

It will be very close!! 
I have calculated that my Malvern (Low Profile 2014 Model) to be 2938mm high - which includes A/C and folded Sat Dish. It was declared to be 2860mm ex works with the factory fitted A/C unit and the standard TV aerial installed.
If your figures are correct then you would only have 20mm (0.75 Inch) spare clearance - hardly enough to be clearly visible for someone to guide you in. It depends how brave your are, but personally, I would want a bit more clearance before I would attempt it.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Again a different van where our owner's manual gives 'Overall Height' 2930 which supposedly includes the stowed tv arial? Don't know if 'height ex work's' means something different to 'overall height' so need to heed Liam's cautionary advice IMO. Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Paramedic wrote:Again a different van where our owner's manual gives 'Overall Height' 2930 which supposedly includes the stowed tv arial? Don't know if 'height ex work's' means something different to 'overall height' so need to heed Liam's cautionary advice IMO. Regards.
I use the term 'ex works' to mean how the van left the factory which, in this case, would have included the TV aerial and roof aircon. I was hoping that the height given in the specification would include such items - in other words - that the quoted figure of 2.88m included these fittings rather than being (say) to the top of the wind out awning which is lower than the aircon.

Will probably need to take a physical measurement to get the actual height. One thing I have learned from other Motorhomes though is that, when loaded, they usually end up lower in use.
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:02 pm

The online manual quotes 2.86m height, so I suspect doesn't include "extras".

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:28 pm

I have just been outside and as carefully as I can in the dark measured our 2012 Worcester and it sits at 2915mm to the highest part of the roof but that does not include the TV aerial or the rubber duck radio aerial. The Worcester has an indented roof so solar panel etc sit below the highest point but not sure the air conditioning would, we don't have it.

Happy to measure ours again in the daylight but I fear yours may not get in your carport!

Obvious you are a person of impeccable taste though.... hugegrins

( not sure if you have your worcester yet but please PM me if I can help with any questions)
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:The online manual quotes 2.86m height, so I suspect doesn't include "extras".
Correct Peter, but it does state that it has taken into account the TV Aerial! 
On my van the factory fitted A/C unit is just below the height of the lowered TV aerial - hence "ex works" height of 2860mm. The addition of the Sat Dish raises my overall height by 7mm to 2930mm and as has been said they do tend to sit slightly lower when fully loaded. But looking at the marginal difference it's still not a risk I would be willing to take particularly if the floor of the car port is not level.
Also, don't forget the Radio aerial, which admittedly is flexible, but will be well above the 3000mm height!

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Whatever the handbook says my tape measure is pretty accurate and my van has nothing in it apart from fuel and as above it is very unlikely to fit
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Worcester Height

Post by rventhusiast Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:56 am

Thank you to all who have responded - particularly Liam and Grounhog (who ventured out on a cold dark night to get actual measurements) - it is all very interesting. What it does show for certain is that you cannot assume anything with regard to weights and measures but only the actual vehicle dimensions will be accurate.

I should also point out though that this 2013 model does differ slightly from the 2011/12 models in that it was a (60th?) anniversary model and was built with a body more like the soon-to-be-introduced Winchcombe. It has an over an skylight instead of lockers and the awning sits on the edge of the coach work where roof and side meet rather than being built into a recess in the sidewall.

Not too sure if this makes any real difference as both have a 'well' between the sides in which sit the roof lights, TV aerial and aircon if fitted. The latter two are higher than the sides but it is by how much that will matter. We have had an A-Class Hymer under there with not much clearance and a margin of 50mm doesn't worry me -especially if that is unloaded. The radio aerial can be laid flat if necessary as I don't use it much and the aircon will be on the higher (sloping) side of the carport so I am expecting that to clear quite easily. The main issue will be a) the height to the TV aerial and b) the height of the overcab. The floor of the carport is flat all the way through and actually has a fall toward the back so clearance at the end is about 3.050m.

Have emailed to get actual measurements before finally committing.

Many thanks all.
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 am

When we had coachbuilts to be on the safe side always "assumed" they would be 3m
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 am

next thing I would do is to make sure my '3m' carport actually gives 3m (or more, or less) headroom...

it's all well and good being totally accurate about the vans height, but if the carport is actually 2.9m or thereabouts.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Worcester Height

Post by rventhusiast Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 am

bolero boy wrote:next thing I would do is to make sure my '3m' carport actually gives 3m (or more, or less) headroom...

it's all well and good being totally accurate about the vans height, but if the carport is actually 2.9m or thereabouts.....
Ahh, yes, definitely 3m at the lowest point. As I always reverse onto the driveway the offside is on the lowest side where the TV aerial will be. The near side (where the aircon will be) is 3.1m at that particular point. These lowest measurements are at the leading edge of the carport where entry is made then falls by 50mm toward the rear so once in the rest will be fine.

Last edited by rventhusiast on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct measurement)
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 pm

I was looking at the roofline on the 2013 worcester for sale at Stewart Mouland and it does look as though it is slightly lower than the 2012 model, it is also quoted as 20mm lower by Autosleeper.

You really got me thinking exactly how high is my van so today I took a stepladder and spirit level from the top of the aerial and measuring more accurately than I did in the dark it is exactly 2915mm! If your van is 20mm lower than mine, happy days. up!

Re the rubber duck aerial I was planning on replacing ours with a shark fin type for DAB radio which would solve that issue as well.

Let us know how yours measures but if that is the van you choose you will not be disappointed by the comfort or the quality of the mercedes chassis and gearbox.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Reassuring

Post by rventhusiast Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:46 pm

groundhog wrote:I was looking at the roofline on the 2013 worcester for sale at Stewart Mouland and it does look as though it is slightly lower than the 2012 model, it is also quoted as 20mm lower by Autosleeper.

You really got me thinking exactly how high is my van so today I took a stepladder and spirit level from the top of the aerial and measuring more accurately than I did in the dark it is exactly 2915mm! If your van is 20mm lower than mine, happy days. up!

Re the rubber duck aerial I was planning on replacing ours with a shark fin type for DAB radio which would solve that issue as well.

Let us know how yours measures but if that is the van you choose you will not be disappointed by the comfort or the quality of the mercedes chassis and gearbox.

Thanks groundhog, that's reassuring. It is, in fact, the one at Stewart Mouland - I have a deposit on it but wanted to make doubly sure that it fits. If yours is 2915mm at the aerial that would still give me 85mm (well over 3") clearance and I would be happy with that but, as you say, it may even be +20mm. Will have to wait until I get the actual measurement from them that I have asked for. 

I believe you said earlier that your motorhome wasn't loaded at the moment whereas, under normal conditions, we nearly always leave ours loaded ready to go.

Good to know you think the Mercedes chassis and gearbox are comfortable too as that is another reason for making the change from our current Fiat based comfortmatic equipped van. I take it it's the rear wheel drive that adds the additional height on what is a 'low profile' model?

The addition of a shark fin aerial is also a very good idea - thanks.

Last edited by rventhusiast on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added response)
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Re retro fitting of a Shark Fin aerial - if you are interested - then this has been covered in another topic on this forum. 
Search for; "DAB radio for Merc".

Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:59 pm

It says sold on the website so I guess you bought it!!

Well done looks very nice..... up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Crikey

Post by rventhusiast Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 pm

groundhog wrote:It says sold on the website so I guess you bought it!!

yes - at Brighton now ready to pick up tomorrow. They have some bits and pieces to swap over (gas low, Han batts, engine batt, TV etc) so will be most of day. Will let you know if and how pleased we are later.......
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:40 pm

rventhusiast wrote:
groundhog wrote:It says sold on the website so I guess you bought it!!

yes - at Brighton now ready to pick up tomorrow. They have some bits and pieces to swap over (gas low, Han batts, engine batt, TV etc) so will be most of day. Will let you know if and how pleased we are later.......
Hi groundhog - well it's ours and so far so good. Dealer was very good at preparing it, even supplied a new remote control for the Dometic aircon unit (I didn't notice it missing or even knew it should have one!) and other little extras like the mains water hose filler. This seems a lot better than the external container filler hose so am happier now. The dealer measured the highest point as being the roof aircon at 2.84m - not been able to verify that but that's gives plenty of height to play with.

Have to say the Mercedes is a revelation compared to all the Fiats we have had - a little body roll but the ride is comfortable. Looks like we have found an a deal van for our needs though - fingers crossed!

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Glad you are pleased with van and Stewart Mouland, we bought a van from them many years ago and they were just fine. I expect you know there are easy mods to stiffen the suspension though we have never found it necessary, also get an even better ride from ours by running at slightly lower tyre pressures, 58 front and 65 rear, several here have reported the same thing!

Lots of great trips ahead and pleased to compare notes. One thing we did do is have some memory foam toppers custom made to fit the benches, they stay permanently in place with a throw over the top, great for lounging and also makes the bed super soft! Not that expensive and worth doing in my humble opinion. allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

2013 Worcester Height Empty Worcester height

Post by rventhusiast Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks for the hints and tips groundhog. 

Now we have the van have done a quick measurement (only from ground level so not absolutely accurate) and it does appear to be more like the 2.84m Stewart Mouland measured so should be ok when we arrive back home and reverse under the carport!

Have found the seat cushions quite comfortable as beds these last few days so may not need to go to the lengths of mattress toppers. Certainly much more comfortable than the Hobby island bed which had to have a 2" memory foam topper.

I will read up on the various mods for the suspension. Only ever had it done once on a Fiat (which had a wide track chassis) as part of the work needed to increase the MTPLM and rear axle weight and found it made a huge difference to the ride and handling. The work was done by Armitafe Traikers near Pontefract who did a great job at about £499 for rear air suspension and gauge but no on board compressor just remote inflation valves.

Got to try it out a bit more to see what else may be needed but we are really pleased with it thus far.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 am

A quick thank you to everyone for their input. Now have the Wircester at home and can confirm a clearance of at least 160mm at the lowest point of the carport (phew!) - even the standard radio aerial is only about 20mm too tall so has enough flexibility in it not to cause any damage.

Time to start sorting everything out.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down