The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists?

+5
Heanorboy
bikeralw
Maasai Warrior
boxerman
rogerblack
9 posters

Go down

‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists? Empty ‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists?

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Islands MSP suggests ‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists? Empty Re: ‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists?

Post by boxerman Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I believe that this was mooted a couple of years back along with removing the RET but it was realised that if they did that, the tourists would take their money elsewhere.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists? Empty Re: ‘motorhome levy’ for campervan tourists?

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes we have just pre-ordered the ACSI guides and have seen the same newspaper article referring to a motorhome levy for the islands which appeared on the site.

Cost of ACSI guides have gone up!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Talking ACSI books. We used our ACSI card on 6 different sites in France and Spain during our trip in May/June. On every occasion the public price advertised was exactly the same as in the ACSI book. Nothing was gained by using the ACSI card.
I get the feeling  we're being taken for a ride buying these books. Next year we're just going to carry the out of date books.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm

That's interesting to know, Al.  We haven't made it to France this year again due to family illness/bereavements etc. so our purchase of the ACSI cards etc this year has been wasted but still looking ot go next year.

What sort of sites were you finding this to be the case?  Looking at a couple of our favourites, there still seems to be a 5-7 Euro per night advantage on the higher end ones, with good facilities - pools, spa etc which we tend to favour at least part of the time.  Admittedly, we also use local municipal sites on occasion which are as cheap or cheaper than some of the basic ACSI discount ones.  But over our usual four to six week visits then it doesn't need much saving to pay for the ACSI card, also we like the idea of not having to specify how many nights we want to stay, just let them hang on to the card.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Back to the subject of Levy to go to the Islands they have been doing this for years for the ferry over the Irish Sea only the Ferry companies keep it for themselves charging both UK and Irish passengers

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Roger, just to answer your questions regarding ACSI discount. Yes, most we stayed at were high end, swimming pool etc . We didn't keep any records, just rolled up at nearest site in the book when we got tired. My wife says one of the six we stayed at was cheaper than advertised on the tariff board, at Millau, a saving of 2 euro's a night, we stayed two nights so saved 4 euros.. The rest were around the Med end of the Pyrenees with no saving in cash with ACSI. When I asked why at one site, they said ACSI acts as a standard for facilities, with no promise of a discount.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Sounds like you're looking at ACSI inspected sites, which are simply that. If you look at the ones in the book they should be discounted by a few euros. We've found most to be about 4 or 5 euros cheaper with the ACSI card. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am

Every camp site visited in france will charge you an extra tourist tax levy, which goes to the local authority. This levy is per person and charged per day . Only a few cents per person, but knowing how we get penalised in this country for enjoying ourselves, maybe the charge would be quite significant in Scotland. If kept low, ok, but if expensive then people will boycot the islands. I hope common sense prevails.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:28 am

I am a citizen of the UK, why should I have to pay a 'levy' to visit parts of the UK?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm

boxerman wrote:I am a citizen of the UK, why should I have to pay a 'levy' to visit parts of the UK?

Frank
However...

The Isle of Man is located in the Irish Sea between Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. The island is not part of the United Kingdom or European Union, but is a possession of the British Crown with an independent administration. Its inhabitants are British citizens.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

dbroada wrote:
boxerman wrote:I am a citizen of the UK, why should I have to pay a 'levy' to visit parts of the UK?

Frank
However...

The Isle of Man is located in the Irish Sea between Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. The island is not part of the United Kingdom or European Union, but is a possession of the British Crown with an independent administration. Its inhabitants are British citizens.

Sorry Dave, I might be being thick, but I do not understand the relevance of your post scratch head  Elucidate please.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Apologies, muddled thinking this end. For some reason I thought this thread was about the Isle of Man. I had forgotten it was about the Scottish islands.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

There's a response from a motorhome owning journalist in the Scottish Sun saying they'd be mad to drive motorhomes away:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

dbroada wrote:Apologies, muddled thinking this end. For some reason I thought this thread was about the Isle of Man. I had forgotten it was about the Scottish islands.
Pity your age no longer shows Dave.
We might have been able to sympathise then. Senility will get us all in the end - if we last that long!!  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Gromit wrote:
dbroada wrote:Apologies, muddled thinking this end. For some reason I thought this thread was about the Isle of Man. I had forgotten it was about the Scottish islands.
Pity your age no longer shows Dave.
We might have been able to sympathise then. Senility will get us all in the end - if we last that long!!  lol4
I was thinking the exact opposite.   snigger

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down