The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merc loss of power

+3
bikeralw
Gromit
chrisk
7 posters

Go down

Merc loss of power Empty Merc loss of power

Post by chrisk Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Talking to a mate of mine, who's brother inlaw as a Mercedes MH was on his way to cornwall, when there was a pop from engine lost all power, so he phoned Mercedes told them they asked where he stored the motorhome he told them on a farm, they said its a mouse nest in the air filter, he opened bonnet and the air filter had imploded in he removed it and there was the mouse nest. The pop was when the engine sucked the top of air filter in. Needed new air filter.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Merc loss of power Empty Re: Merc loss of power

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm

That takes remote diagnosis to a whole new level.

Even our very clued up members would be hard pressed to beat that!!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Brilliant diagnosis. Reminds me of the time I called at my elderly mum's house to take her to hospital. I parked on her drive and went inside for a brew. Half an hour later we set off for hospital. A few miles down the road my car's engine started making an awful noise, I stopped and lifted the bonnet expecting to see something like a frayed fan belt thrashing around, what I didn't expect was my mum's terrified cat tangled up amongst the hoses and HT leads.... It lived to tell the tale, but with somewhat less than 9 lives left...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm

bikeralw wrote:Brilliant diagnosis. Reminds me of the time I called at my elderly mum's house to take her to hospital. I parked on her drive and went inside for a brew. Half an hour later we set off for hospital. A few miles down the road my car's engine started making an awful noise, I stopped and lifted the bonnet expecting to see something like a frayed fan belt thrashing around, what I didn't expect was my mum's terrified cat tangled up amongst the hoses and HT leads.... It lived to tell the tale, but with somewhat less than 9 lives left...
Al.
Was that in the early days of fitting cats Al ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Where was the mouse ?? Don't get paranoid but they are watching you wave

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 pm

We recently suffered a total loss of power on our Sprinter on that awful roundabout over the river on Cumberland Road in the centre of Bristol... engine would only tick over and not rev at all. Managed to get it to crawl into a side road (outside the Asda) and waited for five hours for a suitable recovery vehicle- the first two which arrived could not shift an automatic! Double yellow lines, bus route, etc, etc. Not a good place.
5pm correct truck comes and takes us to campsite (didn't fancy a night outside Mercedes in Avonmouth!). Next morning Merc mobile bloke attended and diagnosed a faulty CDI; this being the main "brain". He could not re-set it and we were .... some time later... back on the same recovery truck (after a rather forceful conversation with the rescue service who said I'd already had one recovery on the incident).

City and West Mercedes were excellent- Kelly said just get it brought in and we'll see to it right away. Bad news was that it required a new CDI which had to be configured in Germany and sent across; it's now 4pm on a Friday, CDI would not arrive until Tuesday, at the earliest. They loaned us a Vito van into which we decanted the contents of the fridge and just about anything else which we might need back home, including two bikes. Nightmare trip up the M5/M6, as per on a Friday, home at 21:30, bottle opened at 21:32.

We got a call on the following Wednesday saying it was fixed and tested for us whenever we wanted to drive back and pick it up, so having an appointment to attend on Thursday we set off back down the M6/M5 for another Friday nightmare!

We had decided to try to salvage something of the holiday but not at  our original destinations; two nights in Somerset and return home via a night at Moorhampton in Herefordshire. Not a mile driven on any motorway on the way home; lovely trip on deserted roads thro' the Welsh Borders and Salop.

Good news- our 3-year warranty covered the eye-watering cost of a new CDI, it runs out in December. The recovery service reacted to my less than five-star rating and a cheque for £40 landed on the mat this morning.

Other makes have a "limp mode" which means the engine will not rev over about 2k rpm, this is manageable; having one which will only tick over means that an automatic will not even start to move on the slightest incline, although I'm told that if you can find a couple of chaps to push until it is just slightly rolling, it will then crawl.

I look forward to Donald Trump having a total loss of power soon, btw. smile!

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 pm

So sorry to hear about your total loss of power on the Merc. We had loss of power, went into limp mode, on our way to AS in Cotswold for more niggles to be fixed. 14 mph on a Monday morning travelling to a Peugeot dealer for it to be sorted was fun, especially with my wife following in the car and all the hooting from other drivers. It took a week to diagnose the problem with a special Peugeot technician being drafted in. Two dodgy vital sensors were finally replaced. We had only had the van for about 6 months from new. At least we were able to move the vehicle!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 am

Pete Taylor wrote:City and West Mercedes were excellent- Kelly said just get it brought in and we'll see to it right away. 

Other makes have a "limp mode" which means the engine will not rev over about 2k rpm, this is manageable; having one which will only tick over means that an automatic will not even start to move on the slightest incline, although I'm told that if you can find a couple of chaps to push until it is just slightly rolling, it will then crawl.

Hi Pete,
That's my local MB Dealer and I have to say that their customer service has improved a lot since Kelly has appeared on the scene - she recognizes us motor-home owners as such and treats us accordingly rather than the regular builder/delivery "white van man" which is obviously their principal source of business.
Incidentally a Sprinter motor home we hired in Australia some 10 years ago used to regularly go into limp mode (we were convinced that it was the local police radio masts which were the cause - it seemed to occur every time we passed one) but that model sprinter had sufficient power to allow us to crawl out of danger. The immediate solution was to switch off and restart and all would be fine until we passed the next mast!
As my van is now out of warranty I would be curious to know what the replacement CDI cost estimate was if you know it please?
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Liam wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:City and West Mercedes were excellent- Kelly said just get it brought in and we'll see to it right away. 

Hi Pete,
That's my local MB Dealer and I have to say that their customer service has improved a lot since Kelly has appeared on the scene - she recognizes us motor-home owners as such and treats us accordingly rather than the regular builder/delivery "white van man" which is obviously their principal source of business.
Incidentally a Sprinter motor home we hired in Australia some 10 years ago used to regularly go into limp mode (we were convinced that it was the local police radio masts which were the cause - it seemed to occur every time we passed one) but that model sprinter had sufficient power to allow us to crawl out of danger. The immediate solution was to switch off and restart and all would be fine until we passed the next mast!
As my van is now out of warranty I would be curious to know what the replacement CDI cost estimate was if you know it please?
Liam
Liam,
Kelly told me it was "well over £1000".... quick_run

Pete.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:

Pete.
Thanks Pete,
Ouch! - will just have to hope it never goes wrong whilst I own it!!
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Liam wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:

Pete.
Thanks Pete,
Ouch! - will just have to hope it never goes wrong whilst I own it!!
Liam
Indeed- as an olde-skule Engineer I'm a big fan of having a lot of little things doing a single job each, rather than a few big things doing thousands of jobs.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down