The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter

+2
gemdeco
hblewett
6 posters

Go down

Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter Empty Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter

Post by hblewett Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 am

I have a 2011 motorhome on a Sprinter base.  I am experiencing a small loss of coolant, about 1 litre every 250 miles, perhaps double that when using it in very hilly conditions.  There is no sign of leaks that I can see, or signs of oil in coolant or vice-versa.  The cap on the coolant container appears to be OK.  Any suggestions as to what might be the cause, or if it's a known issue, please?
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter Empty Re: Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter

Post by gemdeco Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi
   I would call 1 litre every 250 miles a lot,I would get the system pressure tested.I would go round all the hoses and see if you can tighten them up a little,that being a no cost option.
    regards
        Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter Empty Re: Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter

Post by hblewett Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks Alan
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:13 pm

I had this problem with my 2010 sprinter, tried a new pressure cap and I still lost coolant, garage did a pressure test and found a small leak in header tank, new header tank fitted and
after a couple of runs out no problem.
Pete C

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:06 pm

I suspect it could be the ' water jacket' whatever that is, we had exactly this problem with ours when it was new and it is a known problem with a certain batch fitted to some Sprinters - yours may be one of them worth checking with your dealer? Ours was fixed under warranty but if it is that then I don't know if they would do it as a recall item?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Slight coolant loss on 2011 Sprinter Empty Re coolant loss

Post by spanner Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 pm

groundhog wrote:I suspect it could be the ' water jacket' whatever that is, we had exactly this problem with ours when it was new and it is a known problem with a certain batch fitted to some Sprinters - yours may be one of them worth checking with your dealer? Ours was fixed under warranty but if it is that then I don't know if they would do it as a recall item?
I certainly hope that's not the fault as the "water jacket" is the engine block !

Other than a hose leak the next obvious place to look is the water pump, if that's leaking there will be coolant leaking from the area close to the crank pulley
Any decent garage would use a coolant pressure tester to pump the pressure up to about 20 psi making it easier to locate a leak, the amount you are losing is more than a small leak

Chris
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:32 am

No it wasn't the engine block it was something I think to do with the heat exchanger but they called it that not me.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Could have been the water cooling jacket on the oil Cooler?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

Back to top Go down