The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway tyre pressures

+5
Mike187
burlingtonboaby
BornAgain
Gromit
merv
9 posters

Go down

Broadway tyre pressures  Empty Broadway tyre pressures

Post by merv Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:15 pm

I know that tyre pressures is a well worn topic and on previous vans I have contacted the tyre manufacturers to determine appropriate pressures. This time, though, on a 2016 Broadway EK TB LP I simply want to know what the van manufacturer's recommendations are and I cannot see a plate on either door pillar giving this information despite what the Peugeot handbook says. I am assuming that the tyre pressure monitors will have been set to these levels. 
Can anyone help?
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Broadway tyre pressures  Empty Re: Broadway tyre pressures

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Indirect help only Merv.

I think your monitors may well be set quite high, but if you want them adjusted downwards as many people do, a Peugeot Main Dealer can do it for you. Otherwise if you choose to reduce the pressure a bit they will obviously be a bleating nuisance. snigger

Cymro did loads of research on this thread, which may be of interest.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A bit more direct help here.   72.3 psi for the front and 79.5 for the rear it seems.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks Dave. That was the information I needed. I'd looked at the other threads but I wanted to leave the pressures high to avoid problems with the monitors whilst checking that everything in the van works as it should. The pressures that you quote are the same as on my previous Nuevo.
Thanks again.
merv

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:08 pm

I drove to the Service Centre today as my 2016 Broadway had a problem with the reversing camera (which they fixed - thanks folks). During the drive of two hours the tyre warning came on for two tyres - 4.9 bar and 5 bar so I asked the service manager to put some air in. He said "to what pressure" to which I replied , Marquis told me that the pressure was inside the door frame - it was. At which point Mark said, but your front tyres are only rated 69 psi which is less than the door plate. So, not much help there! 30 years Caravanning and I never had a problem now I don't know what the heck to do BUT, when they built the van they inflated the tyres so you would think they might give a recommendation? They are obviously worried about giving advice (litigation?).Oh well, I'll just have to do the research like everybody else. Anyway, they did a great job with the other minor snags so thanks again folks.
BornAgain

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:58 pm

BornAgain wrote:I drove to the Service Centre today as my 2016 Broadway had a problem with the reversing camera (which they fixed - thanks folks). During the drive of two hours the tyre warning came on for two tyres - 4.9 bar and 5 bar so I asked the service manager to put some air in. He said "to what pressure" to which I replied , Marquis told me that the pressure was inside the door frame - it was. At which point Mark said, but your front tyres are only rated 69 psi which is less than the door plate. So, not much help there! 30 years Caravanning and I never had a problem now I don't know what the heck to do BUT, when they built the van they inflated the tyres so you would think they might give a recommendation? They are obviously worried about giving advice (litigation?).Oh well, I'll just have to do the research like everybody else. Anyway, they did a great job with the other minor snags so thanks again folks.

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington  don't have a tyre warning system on my Sigma. However run my front Hankook tyres at 5 bar. Rear Vanco campers at 5.5 bar.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:08 pm

I found the steering very light at the high door pillar pressures. Although I haven't got round to a weighbridge yet I did some calculations based on the MRO axle weights and an estimate of our habitation gear etc. and used the Continental Vanco CP weight/pressure charts. I now run on 50psi front and 68psi rear (about 3.5 and 4.7 bar) and find the handling a lot better.

Our Broadway has quite a large payload of 471kg so I think we operate well within the MTPLM and will put to the test when I spot a weighbridge on our travels. The payload will increase if like us you travel with very little water on board. We do have a cycle rack but it is not used (still trying to remove it!) so there is no compication of a large weight on the back.

Mike
Mike187
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks for the above comments.  There are clearly two issues; one is that the Peugeot cab has plating (73 front 79 rear) that assumes the Boxer is being used as a transporter and I guess the load capability is much higher.  A/S haven't changed the cab plates.

Then the pressure warning is presumably set for that higher rating. The Continental tyres that are fitted indicate 69 psi max. and the A/S factory has inflated them and the spare to around 65 psi which I would think is the maximum needed for a motorhome. So, I have inflated to 65 for now and will see if the pressure warning resets. If not then its a job for Peugeot because Marquis won't touch it I'm sure.

Meanwhile I will consult the Continental tyre charts and maybe try the weighbridge next season.
BornAgain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:25 pm

The Tyresafe website now has a tyre pressure checker and if you put in Peugeot Boxer platform/chassis 2.2Hdi 130 bhp in comes up with Front 52.21psi 3.6 bar Rear 59.47psi 4.1 bar.

Tyresafe seem to have taken off their Motorhome leaflet from the website.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:21 pm

On one of the threads there is a copy of the Continental Tyre data sheets but it is quite difficult to read.  For information, if you do a google search you can find the Technical Data Book for Commercial Vehicle Tyres.  Around about page 23 you can find the relevant data and easily print one page. Of course, the recommended pressures are far lower than the pressure monitor and certainly much lower than my Broadway was delivered at.
BornAgain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:42 pm

It may help for me to repost my contribution of 23 July 2015:

"Success!

Well, it's been a long saga. In summary, having weighed the axles with the Nuevo fully laden (with bikes etc) and having consulted  Continental's table of tyre pressures for my tyres, I wanted to run my vehicle at 55 / 75 psi. Those pressures are less than the Peugot plate's generic figures for a Boxer. So when I lowered the pressures to what I wanted, they triggered the TPMS alarm. So now I wanted (a) the alarm cancelled; and (b) the TPMS re-set to warn me only if the pressures drop to 50 / 70 psi.

(a) is not possible to do this [cancel alarm] without access to the TPMS ECU. There is no reset button for the user to do the task. The TPMS should normally be OK after, say, repairing a puncture, but if the alarm persists then it's a job for a garage.

(b) After much faffing around, the key to getting this done [re-setting TPMS pressures] was the statement which A/S are giving owners who wish to have the TMPS reset: they say " The Peugeot Homologation and External Relations team have advised that 'The tyre pressures that the customer wishes to have (provided they have authorisation from the tyre manufacturer) can be recorded into the TPMS ECU. To do this the vehicle will need to go to an authorised repairer who has access to the diagnostic tool.' "

My Peugeot dealer has today done the job (£39!!). I had to acknowledge that the pressures which I wanted the TPMS to record are lower than the Peugeot recommended 5.0 bar / 5.5 bar. I was also advised that there would probably be increased tyre wear - though that didn't bother me because in my experience with motorhomes it is necessary to change tyres because of age before they wear out.

At last I'm there. It runs sweetly at 55 / 75 - and that's what Continental recommend."

I've been running at 53 / 73 for the last year, happily. I cannot run them any lower, because the wretched TPMS would kick in at their current settings of 50 / 70, and I'm jolly well not going to pay another £40 to have them reset once more! I'd prefer, with hindsight, to run at no more than the manufacturer's max as per tyre wall (69psi) but I don't think my 73psi is pushing things too far. I take comfort from the knowledge that others on this Forum also run those Coninental VancoCamper tyres at approx 75psi, with no problems.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi Mervyn I have the same problem with no door pillar info but I understand it is a legal requirement of the manufacturer so I am going back to marquis with a few other issues as well
Gef
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Hello Gef. This was one of my 'things to put right' on the 30 day inspection. Dealer is pursuing it with AS. I didn't realise it was a legal requirement though.
Just thinking a bit more about the legality question... The plate, when fitted, will say 72.3 front and 79.5 rear, giving the pressures for a fully laden commercial vehicle. Like many AS owners I have on previous vans changed the actual pressures to those recommended by the tyre manufacturers using axle weights.  Invariably these recommended pressures are considerably lower than the those on the van plate. I don't think it's illegal to have pressures lower than the van plate so why would it be a legal requirement to display a plate on the van?  I am only speculating here..I don't know what the law says on this.
merv

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:21 pm

A bit odd that Continental are recommending a tyre pressure in excess of the 69 psi stamped on the side wall. I wouldn't be too happy about that; the A/S service manager pointed directly to the figure on the side wall when I asked about pressures!
BornAgain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:46 pm

An old and much-worn thread but today I did my usual running of the van to get it warm.. about 20 miles.. I haven't altered the tyre pressures since picking up the van in August  ( done about 300 miles only, because my health wouldn't let me drive any distances in the summer) and I assumed they had been set at the commercial van pressures by the supplying dealer.  For the first time, the tyre pressure warning light came on; it buzzed and a message came up on the screen ' tyre pressure low.. left rear.. 4.9 bar.'  I did stop to check but it wasn't a puncture of any kind.. I checked again after a few more miles.. stopping, turning off and starting up again and the same message came up.. except this time it said '5.0 bar'.   Checked again at home and , sure enough, same message and this time '5.1' bar (obviously because the tyre had warmed up)  So, I checked both rear tyres and their pressures  read exactly the same (why had only one tyre been highlighted?).. I inflated to 5.3 bar or 77psi ( checked with my new draper analogue pressure gauge , recommended by members here!) 
 Having previously read all the stuff about the warning light not  disappearing for a while, I decided to try another run .. it took only half a mile for the warning symbol to disappear.
I'm not sure what the allowed variance from the programmed pressures is but I don't think it's very much. Incidentally for those owners who like to lower the pressures from these high original ones, I wouldn't have found the warning buzzer or the little red warning light in the dash a problem.. the buzzer only came on when the engine was first started and the red warning symbol is no worse than the handbrake symbol being on.
Does anyone know if the monitors tell you if the pressures are too high as well being too low?
merv

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:43 pm

My Vanco continentals say the same max 69 psi but on the tyre wall small print it says motorhome fitted vancos can go higher.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 am

merv wrote:Hello Gef. This was one of my 'things to put right' on the 30 day inspection. Dealer is pursuing it with AS. I didn't realise it was a legal requirement though.
Just thinking a bit more about the legality question... The plate, when fitted, will say 72.3 front and 79.5 rear, giving the pressures for a fully laden commercial vehicle. Like many AS owners I have on previous vans changed the actual pressures to those recommended by the tyre manufacturers using axle weights.  Invariably these recommended pressures are considerably lower than the those on the van plate. I don't think it's illegal to have pressures lower than the van plate so why would it be a legal requirement to display a plate on the van?  I am only speculating here..I don't know what the law says on this.

Tyre pressure plates figures are advisory.I would take the figures as Maximums.
The tyre pressure maximum figure on the tyre was for the USA.
I am pretty sure every owner that has weighed his vehicle and checked the chart for his tyres as come up with lower figures to run at.

regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down