Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by maj_069 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Apologies to all previous submitters on this issue, but I am seriously confused and would appreciate any help regarding correct and safe tyre pressures for my 2013 Broadway EK.  The basic data is as follows:


  • Make: Peugeot 
  • Model: 807SE (from V5) 
  • Year: 2013 
  • Tyres: VancoCamper 215/70R/15 CP 109R
  • Type: Autosleeper Broadway EK 



  • The weightplate on the vehicle indicates:

    • Front Axle: 1850 Kg
    • Rear Axle: 2000 Kg


  • The Autosleeper Tyre pressure sticker on the passenger door pillar indicates:

    • Front tyre pressure: 72.3 psi
    • Rear tyre pressure: 79.5 psi


  • The VancoCamper tyre marking indicates:

    • Front tyre pressure: 69 psi
    • Rear tyre pressure: 69 psi


  • Using the Motorhome Tyre Inflation Pressure calculator on the TyreSafe website indicates:

    • Front tyre pressure: 68 psi
    • Rear tyre pressure: 80 psi





Although I have yet to take the vehicle and get it weighed at a weighbridge, from information on the weightplate and stamped on the tyre, the motorhome appears to be fitted with an appropriate tyre.


Information regarding tyre pressure is confusing however.  All tyres are currently at 69 psi (tyre marking advice).  Would it be safe to increase the pressure and inflate to 80 psi as indicated on the TyreSafe calculator?  
avatar
maj_069
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 16
Joined : 2017-07-03
Member Age : 67
Location : SouthWest
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm

This is the Continental Tyres pressure manual [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For your tyres size and maximum axle loads Continental recommend F 58psi (4.01 Bar), R 73psi (5.05 Bar). If you know your actual axle loads you can use lower figures as shown (page 83 of the above).

_________________
Peter L
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3065
Joined : 2014-06-24
Member Age : 49
Location : NORTH HERTS
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is the 69psi from a script like that in the picture above?

_________________
Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 5337
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 67
Location : Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Gromit on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Having recently looked at ours, which are probably the same tyres, the 69psi marking indicates the maximum inflation pressure.

Hope this helps.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 5833
Joined : 2015-03-11
Member Age : 76
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Gromit wrote:Having recently looked at ours, which are probably the same tyres, the 69psi marking indicates the maximum inflation pressure.

Hope this helps.

I've some opinions on this topic that suggest the pressure stamped on its own on the tyre is only relevant in the US. But the max load and pressure ratings as shown in my photograph must apply wherever. On my tyres of a different type both figures are the same at 84 psi.

When I had my Peugeot (Inca) the max pressure for the tyre was 79 with the max on the plate at 80 but in fact the correct pressures for front and back were much lower.

_________________
Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 5337
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 67
Location : Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Molly3 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Yes it is very confusing the pillar Pressure at 5-- 5.5 bar should be correct as I believe is fitted by autosleeper ,the pillar pressure on x250 van is much less  than the autosleper , very confusing that the vanco cp is so different  .and is more in line with van pressures.
Molly3
Molly3
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 213
Joined : 2017-11-06
Location : Sheffield
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by maj_069 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Thank you for the reply.  The script on the tyre is by itself i.e. just shows a max of 69 psi; there is no load data provided.  There is however another script on the tyre that indicates '...due to the special nature of motorhomes it is permitted to increase the pressure to 5.5 bar' i.e. 79.8 psi.  This would seem to suggest that pressures shown on the Autosleeper sticker on the door pillar are probably correct i.e. 72.3 and 79.5 respectively.  What do you think?
avatar
maj_069
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 16
Joined : 2017-07-03
Member Age : 67
Location : SouthWest
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by maj_069 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Gromit wrote:Having recently looked at ours, which are probably the same tyres, the 69psi marking indicates the maximum inflation pressure.

Hope this helps.

I've some opinions on this topic that suggest the pressure stamped on its own on the tyre is only relevant in the US.  But the max load and pressure ratings as shown in my photograph must apply wherever.  On my tyres of a different type both figures are the same at 84 psi.

When I had my Peugeot (Inca) the max pressure for the tyre was 79 with the max on the plate at 80 but in fact the correct pressures for front and back were much lower.
Thank you for the reply.  The script on the tyre is by itself i.e. just shows a max of 69 psi; there is no load data provided.  There is however another script on the tyre that indicates '...due to the special nature of motorhomes it is permitted to increase the pressure to 5.5 bar' i.e. 79.8 psi.  This would seem to suggest that pressures shown on the Autosleeper sticker on the door pillar are probably correct i.e. 72.3 and 79.5 respectively.  What do you think?
avatar
maj_069
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 16
Joined : 2017-07-03
Member Age : 67
Location : SouthWest
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:20 pm

maj_069 wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:
Gromit wrote:Having recently looked at ours, which are probably the same tyres, the 69psi marking indicates the maximum inflation pressure.

Hope this helps.

I've some opinions on this topic that suggest the pressure stamped on its own on the tyre is only relevant in the US.  But the max load and pressure ratings as shown in my photograph must apply wherever.  On my tyres of a different type both figures are the same at 84 psi.

When I had my Peugeot (Inca) the max pressure for the tyre was 79 with the max on the plate at 80 but in fact the correct pressures for front and back were much lower.
Thank you for the reply.  The script on the tyre is by itself i.e. just shows a max of 69 psi; there is no load data provided.  There is however another script on the tyre that indicates '...due to the special nature of motorhomes it is permitted to increase the pressure to 5.5 bar' i.e. 79.8 psi.  This would seem to suggest that pressures shown on the Autosleeper sticker on the door pillar are probably correct i.e. 72.3 and 79.5 respectively.  What do you think?

I agree you can go up to 79.8. There has been some discussion on the forum lately and based on that it would seem that those tyres should be operated at the plated pressures rather than pressures determined from the actual weight on each axle.

_________________
Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 5337
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 67
Location : Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by Gromit on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm

It will bounce like a pogo stick, and every time you hit a fag end it will loosen another filling! (Well, you did ask!  snigger)

There's a lot of controversy on this topic, and no two people ever agree entirely, but I think a compromise is probably best.

72 and 80psi (in round figures) is likely to give a very hard ride.

Some folk run at 50 and 60psi, which would worry me as it seems rather too low.

I'd suggest about 60-65psi front and 65-70psi rear. That will still be hard enough to smash your crockery if you hit a sleeping policeman too fast, specially those lethal little hemisperical ones!

Only a suggestion though. Our Peugeot Main Dealer recommended 65 and 70psi, or maybe up to 5psi lower all round if the ride was too uncomfortable - which is where my suggestion comes from.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 5833
Joined : 2015-03-11
Member Age : 76
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by bolero boy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 pm

if you have Vancos, weight your van and then email Continental..
here is their reply to me...

continental Vanco CP tyre pressure

Rear axle 1820kg (max 2000)
Front axle 1600kg (max 1850)
Gross 3420 kg (max 3500)

Good afternoon Chris, 

Thank you for sending all the relevant information it is most appreciated. 

It is extremely likely that the relevant information supplied with the chassis is documented for use as a commercial vehicle, therefore proposed before the conversion to a motor home. For this reason, Continental tyres would always recommend having the motor home weighed on a weigh bridge at your heaviest travelling weight, including liquids to achieve specific axle weights. In some cases the coach builder will also put their recommended pressures on the vehicle plate. However, the majority put this to the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre to cover all loads being applied and not specific loads which often, are not near the plated weight you actually travel at. 

The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage, hence why it is extremely important for the correct loads to be obtained, in order to inflate the tyre correctly. 
  
Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution tends to put a greater load on the rear axle rather than on the front axles, where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking occurs the weight transference is to the front, but this only tends to be for short periods, whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods, when the tyres are rotating at high speed.
This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear is deliberately set higher. Although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection, which influences the body roll.

The 69 psi written on the side of the tyre is for the Northern American market only and the inflation pressure of the tyre can exceed this value within its safety operating range.

Based on the following: 

ContiVanco Camper 225/75 R16 (CP*) 116 R tyres. 
  
Front Axle: 1600 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1730 kg) 

Rear Axle: 1820 Kg - 3.75 bar/ 54.3 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1840 kg)  


I hope this helps and any further enquiries (no matter how small) please do not hesitate to ask, we are always happy to help!

Best Regards 

Alex Wilson 
Product Support Engineer

_________________
Chris.
Carthago c-compactline i138
bolero boy
bolero boy
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 609
Joined : 2017-10-28
Location : somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Carthago Compactline
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm

bolero boy wrote:if you have Vancos, weight your van and then email Continental..
here is their reply to me...

continental Vanco CP tyre pressure

Rear axle 1820kg (max 2000)
Front axle 1600kg (max 1850)
Gross 3420 kg (max 3500)

Good afternoon Chris, 

Thank you for sending all the relevant information it is most appreciated. 

It is extremely likely that the relevant information supplied with the chassis is documented for use as a commercial vehicle, therefore proposed before the conversion to a motor home. For this reason, Continental tyres would always recommend having the motor home weighed on a weigh bridge at your heaviest travelling weight, including liquids to achieve specific axle weights. In some cases the coach builder will also put their recommended pressures on the vehicle plate. However, the majority put this to the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre to cover all loads being applied and not specific loads which often, are not near the plated weight you actually travel at. 

The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage, hence why it is extremely important for the correct loads to be obtained, in order to inflate the tyre correctly. 
  
Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution tends to put a greater load on the rear axle rather than on the front axles, where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking occurs the weight transference is to the front, but this only tends to be for short periods, whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods, when the tyres are rotating at high speed.
This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear is deliberately set higher. Although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection, which influences the body roll.

The 69 psi written on the side of the tyre is for the Northern American market only and the inflation pressure of the tyre can exceed this value within its safety operating range.

Based on the following: 

ContiVanco Camper 225/75 R16 (CP*) 116 R tyres. 
  
Front Axle: 1600 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1730 kg) 

Rear Axle: 1820 Kg - 3.75 bar/ 54.3 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1840 kg)  


I hope this helps and any further enquiries (no matter how small) please do not hesitate to ask, we are always happy to help!

Best Regards 

Alex Wilson 
Product Support Engineer
Those values are exactly as it says in the Continental Tyre Manual (page 87)

_________________
Peter L
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3065
Joined : 2014-06-24
Member Age : 49
Location : NORTH HERTS
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by maj_069 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you all for your assistance and helpful comments.  This is definitely a minefield, not least in the event of an accident and/or injury as a consequence of incorrect tyre pressures.  I shall load the van, get true axle weights at a weighbridge and then inflate accordingly.  In the meantime, I'm going to put 65 in the front and 70 in the rear. If it feels too uncomfortable or hard then I'll rethink.


Thank you again for all the advice and guidance - much appreciated.

Regards

Mark
avatar
maj_069
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 16
Joined : 2017-07-03
Member Age : 67
Location : SouthWest
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Tyre Pressures Empty Re: Broadway EK Tyre Pressures

Post by BornAgain on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 pm

As has been said many times before, you should weigh the axles and take the Continental information for the specific Vanco tyres fitted. Unfortunately I have found that both dealers and AS workshop seem to lack the correct knowledge. I took my Broadway back to the factory near Broadway for a warranty repair and asked them to inflate one of the tyres as the pressure warning was on. They asked me what pressure so I pointed out what was stamped on the door pillar at which point the service manager indicated that was in excess of the 69 psi stamped on the tyres! At that time I didn’t realise that the 69psi was not relevant in the UK and that the information on the door pillar was for the base vehicle.
BornAgain
BornAgain
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 88
Joined : 2016-03-27
Member Age : 72
Location : Bourne End, Bucks
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum