The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto sleepers sandhurst

+3
roli
deckie
Milvus
7 posters

Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty Auto sleepers sandhurst

Post by Milvus Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi all, I am new to the forum and a potential auto sleepers buyer in the near future. I have the Auto sleepers sandhurst on my short list, which is a motorhome that puts ticks in almost all our boxes. I would be interested to hear from any sandhurst owners, or forum members who have any advice they can offer on this motorhome, both positive and negative. Thank you for your help. smile!
Milvus
Milvus

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty Re: Auto sleepers sandhurst

Post by deckie Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi kaiser and welcome to the forum wave

I'm sure you will soon get lots of help from 'Our lot' hugegrins allthumbz

Brian & Chris

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:15 pm

The Sandhurst is a nice little van. Being a VW is was quite highly priced and because of this if you pick one up it has probably had lots of TLC.

asof_welcome2
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum kaiser.

squip smileywave
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty Sandhurst

Post by KENNJEN Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Hello Kaiser in reply to your sandhurst enquiry we have owned a sandhurst for two years and have had no problems as most people will tell you its always a compromise what ever vehicle you decide on .The main things that swayed me during our search was the sandhurst VW base -Alko chassis-autosleeper quality.The ride quality is very good .We carry a scooter on a rack just had to be a bit careful with payload .In general very pleased Would have liked rear seatbelts but as i said its always a compromise.
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank you all very much for the welcome. Kennjen, good to hear from someone who has a sandhurst too, when I have enough posts I will pm you to ask you a few more questions if that is ok.
Milvus
Milvus

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty RE:sandhurst

Post by KENNJEN Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Please feel free to ask any time i will help if i can .Regards Ken.
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 pm

We really liked the Sandhurst and actually got to see one at West Country Motorhomes but despite it's length the layout didn't quite seem right for us, think they look really nice though.

These links may give you a little more info if you've not read them already that is smile!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am

Hi, thank you for the links, very useful. There doesn't appear to be many Sandhursts around, do we know how many were made and between what dates.
Milvus
Milvus

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty RE:sandhurst

Post by KENNJEN Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello Kaiser We have only seen seven Sandhursts 3 with their owners and 4 forsale one of those being flood damaged in the two years we have owned ours.I think they were made between 06-08 .ken
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty Number of Sandhursts

Post by Milvus Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Kenjenn,
yes, there doesn't seem to be many of them around. Perhaps they weren't that big a seller for Auto sleepers, because of the high spec/price, which would have put many off buying one? ( I have sent you a pm with some queries) up!
Milvus
Milvus

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto sleepers sandhurst Empty Sandhurst owner

Post by solent Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Re…. Sandhurst

I bought mine new in September 2008, it has the VW 2.5 5 cylinder diesel 174 hp engine with auto transmission, the only problem I have had with it was speed awareness, it was all too easy on a motorway to look down at the speedometer and see that you are doing 85 - 90 mph without being aware of it. I solved this problem by having a VW cruise control fitted

The auto transmission was a mistake by the factory, I ordered a six speed manual and although its very good on the road it’s a real pain on grass much too easy to get stuck even with the mud and snow tyres fitted

I have to admit it’s a bit of a big boys toy for me, there are at the last count 28 extras fitted to the van which are not standard, I have changed all the internal lights over to LED except the fluorescents and most of the external ones too, have both the cab and habitation air conditioned, there are two 110 amp leisure batteries with a 1800 watt inverter and roof solar panel, so I have never run out of power yet

I have fitted a satellite aerial and tuner which feeds a 15” HD TV fitted to the roof between the front seats which was a bit of a pain to fit as the normal TV power and aerial point fitted by A/S is located below what was the cocktail cabinet, this space is now occupied by the micro wave oven

Being on the Isle of Wight fuel consumption is relatively poor and the auto transmission does not help, on the island I get 20mpg ,on a trip to the west country I got 31.5 mpg the best I have had

Being a member of the A/S club I know of only five other Sandhursts in the club and have meet only two, the model was very short lived as I believe it was very expensive to produce mainly because of the VW chassis and it the time it was being made I understand there were also management problems at the factory.

Any problems I had were quickly sort by the dealer, Hampshire & Dorset in Christchurch which were excellent and they went the extra mile even when they did not have to

If anyone has any questions on this model I would be quite happy to chat with them

solent
solent

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sandhurst

Back to top Go down