The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandhurst & Ascot help required

+2
roli
Alan & liz
6 posters

Go down

Sandhurst & Ascot help required Empty Sandhurst & Ascot help required

Post by Alan & liz Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:58 pm

We are new to motorhomes, decided on Auto Sleeper due to build quality and engine options and an active forum.

Our choice will be either a Sandhurst or Ascot, this is where we need help.

We have viewed an Ascot but as yet have not located a Sandhurst, and thus we might be waiting to view a motorhome that is not for us; does anyone own a Sandhurst in the Bedfordshire area which would be willing to discuss, allow a viewing and advise on this model.

We are also finding it very hard to find out what was fitted as standard to both the Sandhurst & Ascot and what was options, any help would be gratefully received.

Alan & Liz
Alan & liz
Alan & liz

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst & Ascot help required Empty Re: Sandhurst & Ascot help required

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Alan & Liz
Not sure just how many owners of Ascots / Sandhurst we have on this forum
Both vans were not made in large numbers and didn't have a long production life.
From a Sandhurst point of view, this was because of the high price, but they represent a good second hand buy if you can find one.
Both are large motorhomes, but the layouts are quite different and if you are new to motorhomes then this is an important criteria.
This link may help you with the Sandhurst spec
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:07 am

The Ascot is a larger van than the Sandhurst (& wider) There are a few Sandhurst owners on here and you do see them around. To my knowledge I only know of 1 Ascot owner, but that said he has been happy with his van and I cant say that I have noticed any on this forum

As John has said the thing that crippled the Sandhurst was its price and the series of Tranny based vans (Wilton, Ascot, Windsor, Eton) that included the Ascot were made at a time when AS fell out with the Ford chassis for commercial reasons.

Either of these vans would be a good choice as both VW and Ford perform better and give a nicer ride than the Italian incarnations

I imagine being of a similar body size and on the same chassis as our Windsor performance would be similar and you wouldnt be disappointed (Ascot rear lounge version of Windsor, and a bit shorter than the Wilton from memory (my info from that period is out on load so cant check)  

Sorry cant be of more help
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by shotley59 Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Alan & Liz.  We have been away in our Clubman for a while and I am just catching up on 134 posts.  My next door neighbour has a Sandhurst but unfortunately (For you) we are on the Isle of Wight.  I know he joined this forum but not sure if he catches up regularly. I will give him a heads up on your post
shotley59
shotley59

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : VW Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:27 am

Passed a Sandhurst on our way home yesterday but we followed us for a while before turning off somewhere near Shrewsbury otherwise if he had pulled in somewhere I'd have had a chat.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst & Ascot help required Empty Chassis info

Post by Alan & liz Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Could someone confirm the difference between a Ford chassis and a Tranny based motorhome as used on the Wilton, Ascot, Windsor and Eaton.  My guess is that the Tranney floor is  sheet metal and  provides the strength to mount the axis whereas a Ford chassis is a structural frame to which any number of items can be fitted e.g. motor home body, tipper body etc

If my guess is correct is an auto sleeper Sandhurst and Ascot built on van based floor and as such I'm comparing like for like in ride, body roll etc?

many thanks for all the help and spotting of Sandhurst's keep up the good work and hopefully i find one to view soon

Alan & Liz
Alan & liz
Alan & liz

Male

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst & Ascot help required Empty Auto Sleeper Sandhurst

Post by Alan & liz Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

The Sandhurst was available with a winter pack, does anyone now what it included and would it enable a Sandhurst to be usable at sub zero temps in the UK winter?

Thanks
Alan & Liz
Alan & liz
Alan & liz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Alan & Liz
In answer to you first question ... Yes you are correct. The last Ford based van conversion (or Tranny as you mention ) was the Duetto.

The Ascot is built on a chassis cab,( i.e it's not a van based conversion with a metal floor like the Duetto).
The Sandhurst is slightly different again in that is uses an AL KO chassis bolted onto the cab of a VW T5. This was to give it superior roadholding, rather than using a standard T5 chassis cab. It will drive very differently to the Ascot.

The Sandhurst winter pack consisted of an inboard fresh water tank, although you could also get a frost stat (heater) for the standard external fresh water tank. 

Hope that clarifies.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst & Ascot help required Empty Sandhurst

Post by solent Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am

Hi Alan & Liz

I have owned a Sandhurst from new since 2008, I too live on the Isle of Wight so cannot be of much help in your viewing but quite happy to answer any questions you might have

Regards

Mac
solent
solent

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sandhurst

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Alan and Liz,
We own an Auto-Sleeper Sandhurst with the winter pack and have to say that after owning quite a number of motorhomes of various manufacture, British, Italian, German and American the Sandhurst is of a quite high quality. 
The VW/Alko marriage makes for really steady progress without any moments when out and about.
Ours has the automatic gearbox, something I've been used to in cars, coaches and trucks over the past thirty years or so and the one on the Sandhurst hasn't caused us any distress at all. 
Up to date we have achieved an average of 25.8mpg.
Just recently though I have had a TUNIT unit fitted giving the vehicle a power output of 217bhp PLUS an overall saving od 12% on the mpg figures so I'm more than pleased with that.
We use the camper all year round but have to admit that from September to May we take it over to our home in Spain and so haven't had a cold winter to say what it's like. But, we do go and tour Scotland in the 'summer' months and it can get quite chilly some evenings. To remedy that we use a small 500w heater or on the very very odd occasion use the diesel heater. I'm just thinking.....we've only used the diesel heater once!
As we tow an ERDE 234 trailer we keep most if not all of the gubbins that choke up valuable space generally, even have a spare wheel in there. With the trailer on the hook I can honestly say that there is no difference at all in the fuel figure BUT the trailer is rated at 750kgs and so is unbraked and thus less weight.
I've not met anyone that has or has had a Sandhurst but would say to anyone if there are any for sale 'Go have a look'.
Regards,
David.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 pm

The Ascot is a rear lounge arrangement ( but a shorter van than the Wilton)
Was fitted with the 2.4td 140psi engine (same as mine) at 6300mm (20'8") long, 2510 (8'3") wide with mirrors out and 2930 (9'7") high (same as the Windsor) Max Wgt 3500 Kgs Double Bed only.
I have the full details here if you want them I will email them after scanning.
I have only ever seen 1 Ascot and I know the couple however they are a bit far from you to have a look at theirs.
As I said in an earlier thread you wouldnt be disappointed with the performance of an Ascot

Just realised, the Sandhurst bumf is in the same brochure as the above if you need it
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I have posted in the Factsheets section the pages from the 2008 AS Catalogue covering the Ford range and Sandhurst Van which will give you and others some idea of what was fitted, hope it will be of use
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down