The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing fibreglass for new sealant

+5
burlingtonboaby
PLOUGHLIN
Paramedic
Gromit
FOA
9 posters

Go down

Preparing fibreglass for new sealant Empty Preparing fibreglass for new sealant

Post by FOA Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:09 pm

I am going to replace the sealant around all the fixtures on the roof of my 2008 Devon. First is it safe to get onto the roof? I weigh 95kgs. Secondly having scraped off the old sealant, what should I use to clean the area before applying new sikafkex sealant? Thirdly, Sikafkex EBT sealant from Screwfix is half the price of the 512 from caravan accessory shops. Is there any difference? Thanks.
FOA

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Preparing fibreglass for new sealant Empty Re: Preparing fibreglass for new sealant

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi FOA

I think I would suggest having a word with your dealer's workshop manager. I don't know the details, but I do know ours use a cleaning (preparation??) product that isn't generally available except to the trade.

Could be worth a phone call before you buy the wrong stuff?

Sorry I can't give specific help.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Preparing fibreglass for new sealant Empty Re: Preparing fibreglass for new sealant

Post by Paramedic Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi FOA, re your second point white spirit was recommended by workshop person at our M/H dealership. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 pm

Acetone might be better, no residue unlike white spirits.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 am

White spirit works for me, make sure your sealant is in code and the outside temperature is warm enough for the sealant to cure.
I made the mistake recently cleaning and resealing a small area only to find the sealant still sticky a few days later and after last nights heavy rain,ruined and covered in sand.
I wish the sealant makers would produce a smaller  tube as I rarely use the full tube and waste the unused sealant.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:38 am

White spirit will certainly leave a slightly greasy residue and should not be used if you really want not to have to do the job again in a couple of years. Acetone, wiped on and wiped off quickly, with kitchen paper, is a better bet. However, ask Sika.
I've had fibre-glass cars for 45 years, btw.

Regarding choice of Sika sealing product, I'd ring their technical helpline, describing exactly what your task is, rather than risk uninformed opinions, some days one just has to pay the higher price for the correct product.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:29 pm

White sprite is only used if normal cleaning products are unsuccessful , I.e to remove traffic film, brake dust etc. once the area has been cleaned and dried, the sealant is applied.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Last week I was told and used meths

I personally would not go on the roof of a modernish AS, the older ones pre 2001 OK. I know there will be those on here that will differ but then again it's my roof and money I am a mere 81kg
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:35 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Acetone might be better, no residue unlike white spirits.

Agree completely. We have a fibreglassing division in our company that deals with the modern fiberglass roofing systems. Only Acetone is used for preparing where sealants or joints are to go. Using anything but the correct specific to the job materials is dooming the job to fail. 

Go to any roofing material  supplier and you should be able to buy in as small a quantity as 1 litre.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 pm

All I've ever done is used a credit card (as a scraper) as advised by Auto-Sleepers to dig out & remove any old sealant, before applying a new bead, never had any trouble here.

I save all my bank, store cards, Apple cards etc for this purpose.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 am

I replied to your post at 6:36 yesterday (seven and a half hours after you posted the question) but see from a parallel thread you started on the same subject that you had already done the job by that time! You don't hang about. quick_run

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:20 am

Did he listen to any of us? hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:51 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Did he listen to any of us? hugegrins
That's a sticky subject; my lips are sealed. happyno

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FOA Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 am

Yup, I read them all. Liked the tip about the credit card. Been cracking on today and looks like it was a failure of sealant around the roof light over kitchen that was causing the problem, plus cracks in the sealant on rear panel upper joint plus lack of sealant between rear and side skirts. Have not climbed on roof but managed to reach everything with tall step ladder. Thr Sikaflex 512 is great stuff, awaiting delivery of some more tomorrow plus the official Sika cleaning agent. Thank you for all your comments!
FOA

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down