The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil level

+4
daisy mae
Paulmold
gef
Biglol
8 posters

Go down

Oil level Empty Oil level

Post by Biglol Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 pm

I have the Peugeot Boxer registered in late 2003.
When you start the engine, there is a oil level reading that shows for a few seconds
Who drives the M/H with the level showing "HIGH" ?
I did until I discovered that it means "TOO HIGH" 

I would be interested on anyones thoughts on this

Biglol

Biglol

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Oil level Empty Re: Oil level

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:01 pm

I have found you need to have the vehicle on the level to read correctly, although you get to know what the level reads when on the drive which is on a slight slope, which can give a wrong reading. I have found on several occasions after servicing they have tended to overfil the oil. I now always mention not to overfil. It seems they now use an automatic machine to fill where they dial in the quantity. I always dip after a service just make sure.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi big lol
Always pays to use the dipstick it will give an exact reading. If the van is diesel and has to much oil it can be sucked into the engine so level is critical I have been told.
geof
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks for your words of wisdom Geof, tell that to my garage will you.
The manufacturers recommendation (amount of oil) brings the level to the HIGH reading. According to the Peugeot boxer manual, the reading should be 3-4 dots, not "High".  So we should be translating the word "High" into (TOO HIGH)

Biglol

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Mine also read 'high' after I picked it up. Must admit I thought that meant normal for a long time until I read the manual. Had it serviced recently and now the level reads 'oooooo' which is correct. It read 'high' for over a year.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:36 pm

My husband was told if too high damage can occur, so when a garage over filled his he told them to take some out, better safe than sorry, this was on a VW  Passat a few years ago.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:19 am

After every service I always check by dipping at home when the oil has had time to settle. On the last service it got overfilled by a good margin and I think because it has happened before, and this must have been logged on my service record. They sent a mechanic out to pick up the vehicle and correct it. He told me he was the one who had serviced it and must have dialled in the wrong quantity, this shows they might not check the dipstick, just rely on the machine.
I remember the first time it happened, the office person tried to fob me off with "your dial reading must be wrong"
It's the same with tyre pressures, but that's another story!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:01 pm

The issue of overfilled engine oil means a lot to me. We were always told to fill engines with oil from a jug. Vehicle on level ground, engine cold. Top up  to half way between the marks, let it settle re-check and top up to just above the half way point.

I witnessed misuse of an automated fill system to a very costly ending. The same system was used to top up a mixed fleet of diesel powered vehicles. The operator not being awake and talking forgot to alter the cut off for the next vehicle he filled. Not noticing the puddle on the floor he then started the engine. The engine simply ran on its own engine oil at extremely high revs until it blew it self to pieces. yikes
 This is the extreme but overfilled engine oil can cause a lot of damage in other ways. Very old fashioned I know but I feel happier trusting the dipstick and a jug rather than a sensor that might be faulty.
 From my Army days we used to say a Landrover that's not leaking is empty. lol4
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Dave 418 wrote:From my Army days we used to say a Landrover that's not leaking is empty. lol4
Colin Chapman used to say something similar about Lotuses.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Salamone Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Well What Can I Say After spending OVER 300 HUNDRED POUNDS on first service same same over fill did not think too check my self got a 6200 pound Mercedes auto sleeper i was not happy.....To think a simple task to check the dip stick i must be the dip stick never again Its a must never trust people you trust..
Anthony Salamone

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Our oil level check on the dash says the level is correct.  It does show a little high on the dipstick though ( just checked today) but nowhere to empty any out in the middle of France. The oil was changed at Peugeot during the service 4000 miles ago, seems to be running fine though.

Edit.......Just tried to check the oil with the dipstick again as the van has been standing for a few hours, it's almost impossible! The oil shows above the high mark on one side of the dipstick and 3/4 up on the other! 
I've dipped it 4 or 5 times with the same result. I think I'll just go by the sensor!

Last edited by ajrm on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added recent check.)
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:28 pm

I maybe wrong, not being a car person. sometimes I found you have to be careful when checking by dipstick, to try to make sure the stick does not pick up any oil in the tube when you replace it after wiping it clean to check. And sometimes it is a one shot chance to check.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down