The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside?

4 posters

Go down

Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside? Empty Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside?

Post by Paramedic Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 am

I understand the subject of vent covers was raised on this forum last November? It doesn't take much to confuse me but trying to find the availability of grey vent covers. Illustrations in both Thetford and A/S user manuals shows fitment of cover inside of grill and outside? However, could save money by cutting out template (allowing some ventilation) of similar plastic (as recommended by other blog) and fitting it underside of drop down outer grill on side of van. Has anybody purchased the seemingly illusive grey covers or made their own?
Regards
Paramedic
Paramedic

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside? Empty Re: Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside?

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:31 am

Grey ones available here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside? Empty Re: Winter vent covers, fitted inside or outside?

Post by Gromit Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 am

Ours came with the van. (Superior dealer???) They are not too expensive if you shop around.

All they do is cover nearly all the slots, leaving only the top row open. As indicated on the other threads, it ain't rocket science to remove the existing covers and put a bit of duck tape over the inside of the lower vent slots.

That's what I would do if I didn't have the proper covers! I wouldn't bother with templates and bits of plastic. It obviously doesn't get very hot or the proper covers would not be made of plastic, so I can't see a safety issue. If you are not too confident, leave two rows of slots open.  up!

Dave  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 am

I Bought the white ones (cheaper than grey) and look quite smart fitted to the grey vents, the van is white, graphics grey so doesn't look amiss.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Much obliged guys,  your suggestions are most beneficial.
Colin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm not even sure they are strictly necessary.

As far as I can discover, their major (and perhaps only) function is to prevent the fridge from working too well in the cold weather. They reduce the air flow over the cooling fins so there isn't excessive cooling due to the very cold ambient air.

Logic would suggest that you just turn the fridge thermostat down a bit - but having never tried it I can't say for sure if that would work.

Someone will know! up!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you Paul, in a round about way, found grey vent (62445525) on eBay at £17.99 each so ordered two. Am confident that these will fit as I made a template of the inner gauze that matches dimensions of the winter vent. I I've had to dismiss the idea of all diy job at the insistence from the wife as she,  quote; ''You're not doing a botched job after paying out ***** grand!
Colin

Male

Back to top Go down