The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge vent covers

+8
Relaxez-Vous
Caraman
gemdeco
RML
TeamRienza
Dbvwt
Paulmold
redvwcamper
12 posters

Go down

Fridge vent covers  Empty Fridge vent covers

Post by redvwcamper Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi 
I’m looking for advice as to how I know which refrigerator vent covers 
I need to purchase for my Autosleeper Cotswold 
As it’s the first time since I purchased the motorhome that 
it’s not been in Spain for winter ☹
redvwcamper
redvwcamper

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Fridge vent covers  Empty Re: Fridge vent covers

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:33 pm

First you need to know if you have a Thetford or Dometic fridge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:53 pm

I’m sure there are more knowledgeable folks on here but I’m not far from you in Aylesbury and my covers have been in the cupboard for the past 2 years.

Unless you are planning trips to colder places (not exactly easy in the present climate) then I’m not sure I would worry too much if the van is just parked up.

Just my take on things, as I said I’m no expert!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Winter vents really only come into their own if the temperature is below 8c which does not happen too often so it comes down to wether you use the van over winter and wether we have a particularly cold spell.

More useful is the fact that they block 2 large holes in the side of your van and help reduce moisture and insect ingress. You could make your own from sheet plastic. Just be aware that if you intend to use the fridge over winter you need to remove them or make covers that have some limited ventilation like those sold commercially.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

gemdeco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:22 pm

With our tower fridge freezer by fitting the top cover the freezer won't go down to temperature and food defrosts - the cover prevents warm air from venting and the cabinet warms up.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi Everyone
           I only use fridge covers when my motorhome is not in use or travelling in poor conditions, they keep out all the damp and moisture, insects and all the other things you do not want inside your van. I also put the cover on the gas boiler vent again for the same reasons
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:17 pm

The Thetford user manual recommends fitting covers when using the motorhome in temperatures of 6 degrees C and below and removing them when the temperature is 6 degrees C and above.  I can also see the benefit of fitting them during out of use periods. I used them last winter and will probably do so again this winter.  I find it's easy to forget to fit them and take them off.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:34 pm

When we had our Duetto with it's Dometic fridge, most winters I'd put on the winter covers to prevent rain water being blow in. In winter any water ingress is less likely to be evaporated in the colder winter months.

I'm not sure how but one of our Duetto's winter vents become detached during a journey, never to be seen again. Take home message, make sure your Dometic winter vents are securely fixed in place.

Fast forward to our now ownership of a Kemerton XL with its Thetford fridge and winter vents. I'm very concerned about ANY water ingress through the fridge vents, so I view the winter fitment of vent covers essential. However, I consider the security of attachment of Thetford's winter vent covers as pathetic, far worse in mechanical security that those on our Dometic fridge. They need wiring on or zip tied on as with wheel trims.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Gyp C and MelB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:19 pm

In preparation for the long winter months I fitted my home made winter fridge vent covers to the van this morning. They were made out of a thin plastic sheet. Main reason was, as others have said, to prevent bugs finding a new home as well as reducing debris build up, water ingress and damp. They will stay on till early spring when hopefully the van will be back on the road again. Thanks RV for reminding me about the flimsy fitment system of the Thetford fridge vent covers. The last time I was out with the van I found one of the vent covers on the ground where I had parked, it had lost one of the plastic security fitments. I was lucky not to have lost it when driving. Will now find a way to secure them more firmly to the van.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Are their 2 types  of vent covers ,for thetford fridge  ,one that clips on the outside and one that  fits on the inside of the grill .??
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 am

I solved the problem of losing winter vent covers for my Thetford fridge AND saved the cost. I had some scrap sheet vinyl floor covering and cut two rectangles to fit INSIDE the vents. I cut them full width but high enough to leave the top aperture half open when they are sitting on the ledge under the bottom aperture. They sit quite happily there whenever the van is out of use and take up no space when the van is used. This is possible with Thetford vents as they detach so easily.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

MelB and Relaxez-Vous like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:52 am

Molly3 wrote:Are their 2 types  of vent covers ,for thetford fridge  ,one that clips on the outside and one that  fits on the inside of the grill .??
Mine clip on the outside only.  I noticed after I fitted one of mine last winter that I hadn't located the lug properly at the bottom of the cover which made it loose.  It didn't drop off but it could account for the loss of some covers.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 am

inspiredron wrote:I solved the problem of losing winter vent covers for my Thetford fridge AND saved the cost. I had some scrap sheet vinyl floor covering and cut two rectangles to fit INSIDE the vents. I cut them full width but high enough to leave the top aperture half open when they are sitting on the ledge under the bottom aperture. They sit quite happily there whenever the van is out of use and take up no space when the van is used. This is possible with Thetford vents as they detach so easily.
Yes Ron, I should have explained more carefully, this is also how my D.I.Y. plastic winter covers are similarly shaped and fitted: sitting on the ledge inside the Thetford fridge vents. Incidentally, one of the plastic lugs on the frame of the aperture, which a securing clip on the vent fits into, is partly broken. I have therefore difficulty securing one side of one vent to frame the aperture. It is this which was likely responsible for nearly loosing my fridge vent.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:38 pm

I found them very useful  to cut down draughts  round the fridge in cold windy weather
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Molly3 wrote:I found them very useful  to cut down draughts  round the fridge in cold windy weather
There shouldn't be cold draughts around the fridge, it should be sealed, otherwise flue gases could be blown inside (when on lpg). 

There have been several threads on this subject, apparently AS didn't always follow mfgrs' installation recommendations on sealing.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down