The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ghostly Radio

+3
burlingtonboaby
Peter Brown
Rob Dixon
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ghostly Radio Empty Ghostly Radio

Post by Rob Dixon Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:17 am

Hi
I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on the problem I'm having with a blaupunkt radio/cd switching itself on even when the Radio isolator switch and the radio are off ?

Unfortunately, I dont have a manual

I'm a little concerned that this may flatten the battery

Has anyone had the same problem ? if so could you let me know how you dealt with it

Many thanks in anticipation

Rob
Rob Dixon
Rob Dixon

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Ghostly Radio Empty Re: Ghostly Radio

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:41 am

Nee to know a lot more about the radio installation history, when the problem started and what else is going on when the switch on occurs.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 am

Hi Rob
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington , hope you get your radio sorted .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Ghostly Radio Empty Ghostly radio

Post by Rob Dixon Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:01 am

Hi Peter

I've no idea when the radio was installed, but the problem seems to have started when a relay was replaced on the step alarm.
Unfortunately, since my last post, although the vehicle starts OK, the system console shows that there is no charge from the vehicle or habitation battery and none of the interior lights work.

I'm assuming that the habitation battery has been flattened by the radio coming on at all times during the night and somehow affecting the system console operation.

The weird thing is that when the motorhome is hooked up to the mains, the vehicle battery still does not show any charge ?

I think "Millie" will have to go to the dealer for investigation, but it's frustrating not knowing what's going on.

Cheers
Rob
Rob Dixon
Rob Dixon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:20 am

At 2005 your van could have either an MES or Sargent electrical system and they are both very different, do you know which you have.

Have you had the van long so you know what is different now to before - its that sort of information that it is helpful to give when introducing yourself to the forum [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so members can pitch their answers at the right level.

When the engine is started all of the habitation electrics are disabled.  This is to comply with regulations on electrical interference and to prevent any damage being caused by the high voltage from the alternator.  Do the lights work with the engine off?

Unless you have a modification installed, the vehicle battery does not charge when connected to the mains although with the Sargent system there is a switch that can make that happen.

I think you best head for a dealer as there are so many unknowns to enable reliable remote assistance.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:10 am

I would think that a 2005 Lancashire (Marquis Nuevo) will have the same system as a 2006 Nuevo (mine) and that system would be an MES. There is a switch on that panel to direct the charger to either the engine battery or the habitation battery but not both together at the same time.

just had another thought - it wouldn't be anything to do with the radio over-ride switch above the fridge being left in the on position would it?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Dixon Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:51 am

Hi Peter

Thanks for the advice.
The story has developed since I last posted. After returning from a trip to the Cotswolds a fault developed on the step alarm ( continuous alarm ) and the dealer repaired it. However on close inspection recently, I found that a 20 amp fuse had blown in the relay array supplying power to the system console resulting in the console not showing the state of the batteries.

I've replaced it and noticed that the radio was depleting the batteries.

I thought that replacing the fuse might have cured the problem with the radio, but no such luck.

I'm even considering taking the fuse out of the radio-CD but can't find a circuit diagram for it ( Blaupunkt ).

I've booked time with the Dealer but in the meantime have asked Sargent if they are able to supply a wiring loom diagram

Many thanks for your input

Regards
Rob
Rob Dixon
Rob Dixon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:40 am

For your van, when it was originally converted by Autosleeper the cab radio was rewired by them to be powered (via the habitation radio switch) from the leisure battery.  This was because to have inserted the habitation radio switch in the base vehicle wiring would have invalidated that warranty.

If the habitation radio switch is left on, even with the radio apparently off, the leisure battery will be flattened in a week or so if it receives no charge.

The wiring loom diagram may help but you will have to work out how AS applied the installation.  If you get a soft copy or a copyable version I would appreciate a copy for my library.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Dixon Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Peter / Paul

The batteries have been taking a hit even though the radio isolator switch was set to off ( I've read of other owners who've experienced the same thing ). Fortunately Millie is our only vehicle now and we use her every day, so the impact on the battery is not so great. Just to be certain though, I've removed a 10 amp fuse from the radio/CD until the Dealership have a look at the wiring. If I can get any wiring diagrams or additional info, I'll pass them on to you.

Many thanks

In the meantime have a happy Christmas

Regards
Rob
Rob Dixon
Rob Dixon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BarryP Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 am

Whilst not directly connected to this thread, reading it got my grey matter stirring. We have just bought our 2005 Nuevo ES - well chuffed with it as whilst 10 years old it looks like 10 minutes old! Over the fridge next to the 240 volt outlets there is a rocker switch marked "Radio isolator switch". I assumed that this was an after-market fitting by a previous owner but reading this thread it seems that it was a standard fitting. If I am right, can anyone tell me what it does. I can find nothing in the rather sparse handbooks which refer to it. It may be unrelated, but when driving, the radio decides to turn itself off after 30 minutes. Can anyone please explain what the isolator switch does? Thanks,
Barry
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:27 am

Barry
The radio fitted is wired to the leisure battery on Nuevos of that age, including mine. It does switch off after 20 minutes whether driving or parked up. That switch over-rides that to leave the radio on continually but you must switch it off at that switch when you finish listening or you will still draw power from the battery even if the radio itself is turned off.
You will read posts about altering the cut off time but that only applies to x250 models after 2007. The ones on our Nuevos cannot be altered.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BarryP Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:51 am

Thanks Paul, Now I know! Seems a bit overly complicated but as long as it works.....Barry
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Ghostly Radio Empty Re Ghostly Radio

Post by Rob Dixon Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:38 am

Hi Everyone

Just to update for this topic - Having returned my Autosleeper Lancashire ( Nuevo ) to the dealer to check the wiring from the radio isolator switch to the radio and leisure battery, I was informed that it was in perfect working order.

As the radio kept switching itself on and draining the battery, the auto-electrician suggested that the Blaupunkt radio might be at fault. On replacing the Blaupunkt, which seemed to be overiding the isolator switch with a Pioneer radio/CD, the problem has not reoccured.

The Pioneer is switched on or off via the Isolator switch and is on for as long as required and is so much more simple to use.

You just have to remember to turn the Isolator switch off after use.

I certainly wouldn't recommend Blaupunkt radios to anyone, but if anyone wants one cheap - let me know

Merry Christmas
Rob
Rob Dixon
Rob Dixon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Thanks for the update. I suspect it was more likely the way the Blaupunkt was wired in that was the problem.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:05 am

Peter Brown wrote:Thanks for the update.  I suspect it was more likely the way the Blaupunkt was wired in that was the problem.
I agree. My Hymer had an excellent Blaupunkt, though I did have to replace it (with a sony) after about 6 years when it simply blanked

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Ghostly Radio Empty ghostly radio

Post by Heidi Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Paulmold wrote:Barry
The radio fitted is wired to the leisure battery on Nuevos of that age, including mine. It does switch off after 20 minutes whether driving or parked up. That switch over-rides that to leave the radio on continually but you must switch it off at that switch when you finish listening or you will still draw power from the battery even if the radio itself is turned off.
You will read posts about altering the cut off time but that only applies to x250 models after 2007. The ones on our Nuevos cannot be altered.
Many thanks to you all for solving the 'mystery'.
Have always wondered why my radio switched itself off?  Thought it was faulty and needed to go on the replacement list, ha ha!
Happy New Year to one and all!
Really looking forward to starting this years adventures.
Heidi.
Heidi
Heidi

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:08 am

Just read with interest, regarding radios, I still have the original radio fitted in my 2002 Nuevo, the radio always has the standby light  illuminated even when the radio is switched off. I guess this is because the radio is wired to leisure battery, as I am hooked up most of the time, it has never been a problem, now thinking of changing to a newer radio with an iPod socket, anybody out there who has changed the radio
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 am

The standby light on the radios on/off switch will go out if you switch off the override switch. It will drain the battery if you don't switch the override off. If you have solar panel then this will not happen as the battery will be receiving enough charge to counteract it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:32 am

Hello 
Paulmold No such luxury of a switch on my Nuevo, unless they have hidden it away where I can't find it, I must check the wiring diagram in the manual to see how it is wired, and maybe I could fit one?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:44 am

The switch will be either on the left as you enter the habitation door or on the panel on the other side of the fridge next to the ns bench seat. Its a brown rocker switch like the light switches.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:34 am

Hello Peter
Just checked as you suggested, no switch by the door. it's as I thought from left to right on the switches
Charging switch hab/vehicle
Master switch, switches all DC off except fridge 12 volt charging
Water/battery level switch and dial
Pump on/ off switch
Lights only on/off switch
Tried switching off master switch, makes no difference
As my Nuevo was one of the first off the line, they seem to have made changes soon after, moving the water heater, adding radio switch etc.
I think my radio must still be wired into the vehicle as I can find no mention of it in the manual wiring diagram which is a bit basic. 
Maybe I will ask AS when it goes in for next habitation check if they still have records of the build number. I suppose it's been like it since new and 12 years on have had no problems
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These switches are on a newer van, yours would probably be plain tan in colour but located just inside the hab door as here

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:33 am

On my 2006 Nuevo it is similar to Peters photo, two 13 amp sockets , 12v socket together with aerial socket and then the radio switch. That's reading left to right above the fridge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:11 am

Needless to say, mine is nothing like this, trying to upload the pictures, but losing the will trying to. They are uploaded on the site it sends me to, but trying to add them to the post!! I could upload them to my blog
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:52 am

Hello Peter here is my controls For the camper on the side of the cupboard, above the fridge are the ariel socket and the 230 volts
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next