The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof.

+3
artheytrate
-mojo-
Maasai Warrior
7 posters

Go down

Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof. Empty Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof.

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi all, I know we have a separate thread regarding the build quality of the AS Broadway and I intend to contribute my four pennies worth soon, but I thought I would raise a different concern here for possible discussion. We are fortunate to be able to park our Broadway EB on our drive in front of our house. This means I get a good view of the motorhome roof from our bedroom window, and therefore I know when it needs cleaning! It concerns the shiny black GRP on the roof surrounding the Heki rooflight at the front and the section at the rear folding down over the back.  I am sure shallow ripples have started to appear in the black Shiny GRP, like subtle corrugations parallel with the length of the vehicle. We have just recently come back from four weeks in Europe, where the temperatures reached 35 degrees. Also on occasions when we were travelling we could smell hot plastic mainly when stopping at service areas. Has anyone come across this anomoly before? If so could it be the heat? Or am I just going mad?
Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof. Empty Re: Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof.

Post by -mojo- Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Having owned GRP stuff (cars, vans with GRP roofs) for many years, I would say that slight distortion as it ages is a fact of life for GRP. It's pretty much impossible to avoid, but it's cosmetic - not a structural issue.

I suspect that high temperatures may accelerate the effect a bit, but that the end result is probably going to be about the same.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof. Empty Re: Ripples in the black GRP on Broadway roof.

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am

Mojo, thanks for your advice. I must admit I was surprised as the vehicle is only 16 months old. I just hope it doesn't get any worse. The heat effect is not so relevant in the UK but we intend use our Broadway for lots of long holidays abroad, possibly Spain next year. 

I would be interested to hear from owners of older Broadways regarding this possible heat/ageing effect. As you say it's cosmetic rather than structural but it calls into question the quality/thickness of the GRP and its resistance to higher temperatures. I have an area in the black GRP at the back of the roof, where water collects and stands in a pool, this shows the material is not particularly rigid. is this normal?

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi Pete, the water pools at the front behind the black GRP panel and runs down the drivers side lounge window when we park up, I have noticed that the black GRP is also going matt on my Broadway which is also 16 months old.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi John, thanks for you comments. I am aware of your Broadway being the same age as ours and have followed the issues you have dealt with, with great interest . Sorry to hear your black GRP is going matt. I know what you mean, ours also has areas that look a bit suspect, though overall it is still fairly glossy. I have recently purchased a tin of Collinite 475 following advice from another thread on the forum. I will treat our black GRP as soon as time allows and try and keep it well protected. It would be nice if we could get a response from AS regarding this problem as it is only going to get worse. Like you we love our van with the EB layout, but with all the issues we have had and obviously what others on this forum seem to be having, we feel just a little let down by AS. (Not the service section, they have been great). That said, we will continue to deal with any ongoing issues the best we can and enjoy using the van as much as possible. 

Great forum, Pete.
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 am

Ours appears to have ripples in it too, although we have never had the hot plastic smell and we have been in temperatures over 35 degrees over the past few weeks here in France.  We also notice water puddles behind the black panel too.  
We have had quite a few issues with our now 2 year old van, mostly minor, but still annoying on a Luxury Motorhome in this price range. I intend to do a post listing them shortly, partly as a moan but mainly to show what we have had to put up with by buying new.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:21 am

I've been reading this post with interest. Do you think AS are ignoring a basic scientific principle here. A black roof will surely absorb more heat than a white or light coloured roof. Isn't that why the vast majority of vans are white, or at least light silver/blue.

I read in a scientific paper that a black roof can reach surface temperatures of 66ºC or more in the summer sun. A white roof under the same conditions could stay more than 28ºC cooler.

Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 am

There are a lot of different colour vans around, many seem to be changing to grey but I have seen gold coloured Burstners and black Dethlefs and Chausson vans as well as the new black edition Swift vans. Lots of large American RV's are black.
It's not something I understand, like you say, a black surface will absorb heat and it seems a silly colour to paint any vehicle, let alone a Motorhome that will be used by many predominantly in the summer.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:19 pm

An interesting post has anyone contacted AS to ask about the rippling ? If someone has what did they say ? It is only by contacting the manufacturer that they will gain a picture of the problems some folks are having with the expensive motorhomes that they are making and selling I would assume Auto Sleeper dont want there name tarnished in what is a very competitive market place.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 am

We're just back from a month in France in our Dec 2014 Stanton. We had the hot plastic smell and have a wavy black roof at the front end too now. so_sad

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down