The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandhurst MPG?

+3
Paulmold
Dutto
Madmountainman
7 posters

Go down

Sandhurst MPG? Empty Sandhurst MPG?

Post by Madmountainman Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Folks,

First question from a Noob considering the purchase of a Sandhurst. Having seen a few online reviews of this motorhome, there are differing reports on the mpg I might expect. From owners on here, what is the real world consumption per mile that you have personally experienced?

Cheers in advance.allthumbz
Madmountainman
Madmountainman

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst MPG? Empty Re: Sandhurst MPG?

Post by Dutto Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi there,

Just noticed that no-one had responded.

I'm not familiar with the base vehicle so I can't comment on the Sandhurst itself but on most vehicles it's very much a "How long is a piece of string?" question.

Much depends on the age, type and size of engine fitted to the vehicle, followed by engine condition, tyre condition etc; and this is before we even start looking at how the vehicle is actually driven.

On our 1998 "Duetto" (a Ford Transit based vehicle fitted with a turbo-diesel engine) the mpg can vary wildly from less that 25mpg if it is driven at speed to 32mpg if it is driven a lot slower and with a lot more attention to acceleration and braking.

On the other hand, I understand that some of the modern diesel engines fitted to motorhomes can return up to 40mpg when carefully driven. look here

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

There are only 10 Sandhurst owners registered on the site. 4 have never posted and only 2 have visited in the last month so the chance of a response is pretty thin. So its a pretty rare model and one that I like very much but just a bit too long for our drive.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:40 am

As my Husband is considering buying this model, in place of a caravan, I have done research for him, 29-33 is what I have found, check out reviews and magazines reviews , as it is on a VW base with al-co chassis that is  the reason we think it is the best for us. also no long overhang although it has a wide turning circle.

It also depends how your drive it of course, I get very good mpg in my VW base Clubman a T4 the Sandhurst is based on the T5 there is also an automatic, with a different colour scheme.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmountainman Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks for the comments folks, my research came up with similar figures, as well as some around 20-25mpg, which isn't so good.
This is my first motorhome and best value would seem to be a well built, low usage 2nd hand MH, but i've also been looking at converting the new Transit. However, deciding between a full conversion and something far simpler is giving me pause for thought.
Madmountainman
Madmountainman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KENNJEN Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Sorry this reply is so late as we have been away on hols , having owned a Sandhurst for over 5 years I would say the figure between 29. - 32 is about what you should get we only cruise at about 60 mph in 6th gear with engine revs at 1800 rpm .the drive is superb  2.5 130bhp
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmountainman Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info. However, i'm currently taking a gander at de-mountables on a pickup truck, due in main to the extra versatility this will give me. Not ruled out the MH yet, just investigating at present.
Madmountainman
Madmountainman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Many Insurance Cos won't insure demountables, worth checking.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:12 pm

I am the owner of a Sandhurst but the automatic/tiptronic version. 
We downsized dramatically when we bought this just over two years ago due to advice from the DVLA, medical issues and me reaching seventy years of age. As we had amassed lots of things over the years that we didn't want to have in the motorhome I had a tow bar fitted. We tow an ERDE 4x4 double axle trailer with a gross weight of 750kgs so no brakes needed. 
We drive it over to Spain once a year from our home oop north and achieve twenty seven miles to the gallon minimum and have been known to reach the dizzying mileage of thirty two miles to the gallon. 
I see that you have or are looking at a demountable. Don't get the Apollo, get a Tischer!!
Should anyone be interested I'm looking to maybe try and do a deal with someone for something based on a Mercedes automatic with a proper fixed bed, none of that French bed stuff.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down