The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Window leaking

Go down

Window leaking Empty Window leaking

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Out in some atrocious weather for a few days recently, water coming into van at side window. I applied gaffer tape all round the window, which stopped the water coming in, so I'm pretty sure that's where the problem lies.
For various reasons, I'm tempted to just replace the silicon beading round the window just now. However, if anyone can tell me how easy (hopefully) it is to remove and replace the windows, I might be tempted to do a permanent fix myself. A link to a youtube video would be ideal, I can't find anything there that is terribly relevant.
The van is a 2006 model A/S Inca.
Just had a thought, would A/S have some sort of instruction guide they would be prepared to send me?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Window leaking Empty Re: Window leaking

Post by Dutto Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with the type of window but AS A GENERAL RULE side windows:

o  Are held in place with a specifically profiled rubber trip.  If this has perished then renewing the sealant probably won't cure the problem and the profiled rubber strip will require replacement.

o  The profiled rubber is glued/sealed to the body of the van before the window is put in place.  It may be possible to remove enough of the old sealant from the rubber/van interface, clean the exposed surfaces and put in place a new bead of sealant.

o  The window itself is also glued/sealed in place within the rubber strip.  In this case, it may also be possible to remove some of the old sealant, clean the exposed surfaces and put in place a new bead of sealant.

The only tips I have are:

1.  Make sure that the gutter drains are clean before you do anything.  On a few designs a blocked gutter drain will result in water overflowing the groove and leaking into the van.

2. NEVER try and seal a leak from the inside!  There is every chance that water prevented from entering the habitation area will run down the inside of the van, accumulate at a low point and either causing rust or dampness.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down