The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please?

+3
daisy mae
groundhog
Gromit
7 posters

Go down

New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please? Empty New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please?

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 am

The new Nuevo EK LP is almost ready, and we have opted for the overcab locker for storing the duvets.

Well, that was the theory, but having had a close look at it yesterday, the locker is a lot smaller than the previous model and I don't think they will fit in scratch head .

This will be quite a retrograde step, since the overcab locker storage is what makes it so very quick and easy to make the bed, simply chucking down the duvets and the job is done. (Far more convenient than having to lift up the seat for access to the underbed locker.)

Can anyone please tell me if they can store their duvets in the overcab?

Thanks

Dave

P.S. Not overly impressed with the lack of stays to hold the top-hinged door in the open position. Messrs Autosleepers build cracking vans, but they do have a tendency to make daft mistakes with relatively minor items. (Thoughtless positioning of the habitation battery for one!!)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please? Empty Re: New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please?

Post by groundhog Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 am

Love the PS Gromit - how right you are!

We bought some 'lightweight' 7.5tog duvets in Dunelm Mill yesterday which seem to be smaller, made by Fogarty, maybe that would help?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please? Empty Re: New Nuevo. Duvets. Can anyone advise please?

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks Groundhog.

We carry two duvets, one is a 10.5 tog and the other is a 4.5 tog. The ambient temperature decides which one goes on top. (The underneath one provides some padding to make the bed more comfortable, and keeps the cushions dry from perspiration.)

Didn't know Dunlem do a 7.5 tog, so that may be the answer if our thicker one is too bulky. The other option might be a feather and down type, as these can usually be squashed down a lot more.

Oh the joys of changing the van for a "better" one!!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am

We do exactly the same, even in the Worcester with a fairly big overcab area I found getting our 10.5 tog plus a 7.5 tog in quite a struggle last week. I would recommend having a look as the lightweight one does appear smaller though we haven't used it yet!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 am

Why not Duvalays, store more easily I find,

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:51 am

daisy mae wrote:Why not Duvalays, store more easily I find,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm too tall.

Our friends use them and they are great, but no good for me as they don't even cover my shoulders!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 pm

I believe Duvalay will make some for you to suit.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:26 pm

That's worth knowing.

Thanks again Daisy.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:05 pm

We used to carry the two duvets same as Gromit, but the Nuevo with it's superior insulation and heating meant we weren't having to cope with such wide temperature differences.

We now use a thin Ikea single duvet as our bottom sheet/cushion cover. At 150cms wide it's the perfect width for instant bed making.
Can recommend the feather and down top duvet - lighter, and is comfortable over the normal interior temperature range. Plus, disappears into the overhead locker without any problem. We do have a 4.5TOG quilt which we use only in the summer.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks Derek.

We'll have to wait and see how it works out in practice, but that's pretty much how I'm thinking at the moment. Natural fillings will squash down much better than hollowfill, and are more comfortable in use as well.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:12 pm

On the subject of cushion cover - we got Slumberdown goose and duck feather king size mattress topper in ALDI for £16.99 - unbelievably comfy!

Does anybody else turn their cushions over when making into a bed? It stops wear and tear on the fabric and sorts out any cushion roll bumps  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:23 pm

two pillows, a double 7.5tog quilt a sheet "sleeping bag" and a matress protector fit in to the over cab locker of our nuevo - for a time we traveled with a 10tog quilt  which was not only a bit of a squeeze to get into the locker - although it did fit - it was also far too warm!

BTW the door on our over cab stays up no problem although there is no actual "stays" the hinges seem to be sprung and keep the door open
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:34 pm

raymondo wrote:BTW the door on our over cab stays up no problem although there is no actual "stays" the hinges seem to be sprung and keep the door open
Not on the new ones they ain't Raymondo. shrugg

It's just a piano hinge and nothing else. Needs a gas ram, and will get one pretty smartly, but why do Messrs Autosleepers insist on spoiling a lovely ship for a ha'porth of tar!!!!

I suspect that your locker is a lot bigger than the new ones too. Ours on the previous 2010 Nuevo was half as big again.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 pm

It's just a piano hinge and nothing else

well that is just dumb!
and probably not even any cheaper!

the size of some of the over cab lockers (and from what you say this includes the newer Nuevos) is such that they serve as a useful space to store pencils and pens and very little else!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Moderately daft, I must agree!

The locker is not that small, but the van has a lower profile than previous versions so it's lower and shallower. If the hollowfill duvet won't go in we shall do as Derek suggests and get a feather and down one, which should squash down enough to go in.

No doubt we shall sort out a solution, but it's a bit irritating with such stupid "designs" where you have to hold up the locker door with one hand while trying to stuff in the duvet with the other.

Just proves the designers have never used a motorhome themselves - and that they have never asked a woman's opinion. Blokes notice the technical stuff, but the women spot the practical problems in an instant. biggrin

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 am

what you need is a "lid stay" such as this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (assuming that you dont need help lifting the door)
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 am

dandywarhol wrote:On the subject of cushion cover - we got Slumberdown goose and duck feather king size mattress topper in ALDI for £16.99 - unbelievably comfy!

Does anybody else turn their cushions over when making into a bed? It stops wear and tear on the fabric and sorts out any cushion roll bumps  up!
Cannot do that on mine as it is fixed to the base, no problem though I use Duvalay have replaced quilt with a 4.5 feather and down one, plenty warm enough for me.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am

raymondo wrote:what you need is a "lid stay" such as this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (assuming that you dont need help lifting the door)

Thanks Raymondo

That may well be the answer, and at that price it would not have bankrupted Messrs Autosleepers to fit a couple! shrugg

Little gas rams would be even better, but I'll have to wait until I get the van and do a bit of scratch head

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Problem with those stays is the damage they do sticking into the cupboard contents when closed.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 pm

I find it hard to believe AS have used piano hinge on overhead lockers. What a retrograde step. Like Raymondo, the overhead locker doors on my 04 Nuevo just stay up with the sprung hinges. There are 3 on the large overcab door.
 I suspect these hinges can't be retrofitted to newer models as the framework the hinges are attached to has to be quite robust to withstand the pressure, no doubt the new models are more flimsy in order to keep the weight down.
BTW, we store the bedding in the offside underbed locker, the overcab locker is reserved for clothes.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:50 pm

PennyandDerek wrote:Problem with those stays is the damage they do sticking into the cupboard contents when closed.
Derek
Thanks Derek

I did wonder about that, but without physically "offering up" I wasn't sure where the arms would go when the door was lowered.

bikeralw wrote:I find it hard to believe AS have used piano hinge on overhead lockers. What a retrograde step. Like Raymondo, the overhead locker doors on my 04 Nuevo just stay up with the sprung hinges. There are 3 on the large overcab door.
 I suspect these hinges can't be retrofitted to newer models as the framework the hinges are attached to has to be quite robust to withstand the pressure, no doubt the new models are more flimsy in order to keep the weight down.
BTW, we store the bedding in the offside underbed locker, the overcab locker is reserved for clothes.
Al
Agreed Al

The overcab locker is an option, instead of the (in my opinion) daft overhead roof light which wastes a lot of space and scorches bald heads in the hot sun!! censored!

I suspect you are right about the retro fitting. I'm just hoping small gas rams will do the job, and can be fitted fairly easily. Not an earth shattering problem, but damned annoying on a new van which is supposed to show the benefit of past experience and progress.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:29 pm

daisy mae wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:On the subject of cushion cover - we got Slumberdown goose and duck feather king size mattress topper in ALDI for £16.99 - unbelievably comfy!

Cannot do that on mine as it is fixed to the base, no problem though I use Duvalay have replaced quilt with a 4.5 feather and down one, plenty warm enough for me.

Ah, of course - memory fading rapidly!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down