The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second

+4
Claytaa
Jaytee
stoneb
nevergiveup
8 posters

Go down

Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second Empty Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second

Post by nevergiveup Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi All, 
         As some of you may know, the Sprinter central locking, if unlocked by the remote, auto relocks itself after 40 seconds if cab doors are not opened.

Apart from the obvious "getting locked out " problem, we have twice set the alarm off by opening a cab door during the evening, much to the annoyance of close motorhomers.
             Has anyone found an answer to this before we resort to spending dosh with MBenz people??

Regards David
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second Empty Re: Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second

Post by stoneb Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 pm

I think you will find, David, that this is a MB anti-theft feature, a bit of a free alarm set-up! Perhaps it might be best to get used to using it, and avoid opening the door with the central locking set in "locked" mode.

More serious is the situation you are left in if the central locking SAM electronics box is blown up due to a wiring fault (see the recent history elsewhere on this forum) and the need to have rewiring done at A/S plus a new SAM unit.

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second Empty Re: Mercedes auto central locking after 40 second

Post by Jaytee Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am

Hi David, as Barry says just get used to it. We automatically open a cab door after unlocking with the fob and it has not been a problem up!
When we leave the dogs in the van we just lock the cab doors from the inside and the hab door with the key so the alarm is not set.
(Getting our SAM patch sorted next Monday before it goes wrong as been fine to date).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi,
Does the new Sprinter automatically lock after setting off or do you do that manually so as to secure the vehicle whilst on the move?
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

My VW does this, soon get use to it, after the alarm had gone a few times hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Claytaa wrote:Hi,
Does the new Sprinter automatically lock after setting off or do you do that manually so as to secure the vehicle whilst on the move?
I 'think' you can have that activated by Mercedes within the vehicle ECU but not sure.

We only ever lock ours at Calais lol. We sometimes lock the hab door in busy places where we feel uncomfortable but was always advised (probably before central locking etc) to leave the cab doors unlocked in case of accident and people couldn't get you out.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm

nevergiveup wrote:Hi All, 
         As some of you may know, the Sprinter central locking, if unlocked by the remote, auto relocks itself after 40 seconds if cab doors are not opened.

Apart from the obvious "getting locked out " problem, we have twice set the alarm off by opening a cab door during the evening, much to the annoyance of close motorhomers.
             Has anyone found an answer to this before we resort to spending dosh with MBenz people??

Regards David
Hi David

I took my Stanton to Mertrux to get the remote locking failure rectified with a replacement SAM unit. Whilst there I mentions the re-locking problem and asked them to check whether this could be switched off. After consultation with Germany they found it was a simple operation to deactivate the re-lock. At the same time they arranged for the habitation step to be activated along with the central locking which was not the case on my unit. Overall I was well chuffed.
Regards
Plato

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by nevergiveup Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:44 pm

@ Plato, Did you have it done then?? Is it now OK? Any costs?? Sounds a good idea to have it stopped if its that easy.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Regards David
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:03 pm

nevergiveup wrote:@ Plato, Did you have it done then?? Is it now OK? Any costs?? Sounds a good idea to have it stopped if its that easy.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Regards David

David, AS were paying for the new SAM to be fitted. The other changes were FOC as they took seconds whilst doing the other job.

Regards
Plato

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Poor Plato2012, he said at 5.37 that his overalls had "well chuffed" him, they are obviously too tight mate!

See elsewhere on this forum, Winnie's SAM unit was replaced today! Hooray!

I find the 40 second relocking feature very useful. I can unlock the doors, open the habitation door, do my chores (whilst the cab doors relock after 40 seconds) and, after checking I have the keys on my person, just slam lock the habitation door as I leave, knowing the vehicle is safely locked up.
This way, I use the battery operated key fob once only, so the battery lasts longer too!
If I want to do chores via the cab doors, it is a simple matter of opening them after unlocking, relocking with the key after I am finished.

Best regards, Barry

Last edited by stoneb on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : oops fat fingers typing ahead of brain, sorry)
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyCee Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Regards David
Yes, there is a way which I found out from a chap in the States who had the problem with his motorhome based on the equivalent van over there.

Essentially it involves running a couple of wires from a contact in the passenger door to the hab door where an always-open leaf switch is fitted.

When the hab door opens a contact is made and the security system responsible for relocking detects the closed circuit and doesn't relock - the same way the front doors work.

Doing it this way has the advantage of retaining the relocking after 40 secs.

Regards, Tony
TonyCee
TonyCee

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Devon

Back to top Go down

Post by nevergiveup Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi Tony, You have me confused( thats easy my wife says) . With the mod completed do you mean if entry is made through hab door( after remotely unlocking) the 40 second lockup still happens to front doors??  

Regards David
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyCee Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:40 pm

nevergiveup wrote:Hi Tony, You have me confused( thats easy my wife says) . With the mod completed do you mean if entry is made through hab door( after remotely unlocking) the 40 second lockup still happens to front doors??  

Regards David
Hi David,

No, not at all.

It works as it should with the opening of the hab door signalling to the relocking system that it shouldn't relock anything.

What my mod is doing is fooling the system into thinking that one of the front doors has been opened when, in fact, the hab door is the one which has been.

Hopefully less confusion?

Tony
TonyCee
TonyCee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyCee Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm

nevergiveup wrote:Hi Tony, You have me confused( thats easy my wife says) . With the mod completed do you mean if entry is made through hab door( after remotely unlocking) the 40 second lockup still happens to front doors??  

Regards David
Hi again David,

I see how I caused the confusion...

What I meant by the system still relocking is that, if nothing is opened, relocking takes place. If any door opens it will not.

As I understand it getting the job done by Mercedes causes the whole relocking system to be turned off so it will not relock under any circumstances.

Depends what you want, I guess!

Tony
TonyCee
TonyCee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 pm

We like others are just used to it but have a spare habitation door key secreted outside the van so in the event we do lock the keys inside no worries...!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by nevergiveup Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Yes Groundhog, We have done exactly that to avoid the lockout situation, its just the stupid alarm going off that bugs us. Will see what local MB people say  when "Millie" is next in for service

Regards David
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyCee Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:21 pm

TonyCee wrote:

Yes, there is a way which I found out from a chap in the States who had the problem with his motorhome based on the equivalent van over there.

For interests sake the web site I found is

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The wiring configuration is a bit different, as is the size of his motorhome, but still there is enough information to point the way.

Regards,

Tony
TonyCee
TonyCee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nevergiveup Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Many thanks Tony, very interesting.  I think its over my head to start altering  wiring. 25 years ago I would have!

Regards David
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Back to top Go down