The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

+10
groundhog
Peter Brown
dandywarhol
Jaytee
peugeotboxer
DuxDeluxe
Cymro
Dutto
frederic
padraigpost
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto Empty New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

Post by padraigpost Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 am

I have been informed by dealer that the new sprinter with the euro 6 engine will have 7 speed auto but will need adblue to meet these emissions standards which I assume will require a separate small tank for adblue , they said that all sprinters are being ordered by A/S with the euro 5 engine which of course does not require adblue and will come with the 5 speed auto and not the 7 speed, has anyone got a sprinter with the euro 5 engine with the 7 speed auto or is it indeed for the euro 6 engines only, many thanks for any info.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto Empty Re: New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

Post by frederic Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 pm

For those for whom this is all strange see the link below
ferderic
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), commonly referred to as AdBlue in Europe and standardised as ISO 22241 is an Aqueous Urea Solution made with 32.5% ...
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto Empty Re: New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

Post by Dutto Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi there,

I had never even heard of this product but it looks as if Mercedes are producing vehicles with AdBlue injection facilities built in so we may all get to know it in the future if this Mercedes produced video is anything to go by!

I can't answer for question, but thanks for the heads up!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Well I never! I'd not heard of that. Thanks for the link. Mustn't be cynical and think "yet another wheeze to add running costs and another whizzo to go wrong..." - must I?
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Selective Catalytic Reduction..... used on most big trucks nowadays to meet emissions legislation. Only a matter of time before it trickled down to smaller vehicles to meet ever tighter standards

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:57 pm

In the days before I retired as an HGV driver even our euro 5 trucks had to be fitted with an adblue tank to meet emission standards, even though it is only injected into the exhaust system in small quantities adblue must be used and even an adblue gauge tank gauge was provided in the cab, we could refill the tank via a dedicated adblue pump at base but if this technology is to be introduced in leisure vehicles the availability of adblue in garages will have to increase as it is imperative that it is used in the engine, I am led to believe it is available in small quantities in containers but I cannot confirm this, but it seems with euro 6 this is the way things will go.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:41 pm

On sale in many BP stations in plastic containers. It stinks!

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am

"it stinks"

Of course the reason for that is....................... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 am

Our new Winchcombe has the Euro V and a 7 speed box. Wonderful it is too :-)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 am

Jaytee wrote:Our new Winchcombe has the Euro V and a 7 speed box. Wonderful it is too :-)

Must check with my dealer as on ordering Bourton with new facelifted cab was told it would be with 5 speed auto and not 7 speed.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Hmm, I hope mine is the seven speed then.  scratch head Yes, it must be as that was listed as part of the premium pack.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:55 pm

Peugeot were the first to have an additive from memory - around 2001 on the 406 HDi. The additive was topped up as part of a major service.

Here's their latest technology  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTCqjnmBtE8

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 am

Jaytee wrote:Hmm, I hope mine is the seven speed then.  scratch head Yes, it must be as that was listed as part of the premium pack.

It is still listed as a 7 speed as part of the premium pack but I was told on ordering 2 weeks ago (with the premium pack) that it would be a 5 speed as that is what A/S were ordering with the euro 5 engine, if this is correct A/S need to update the website details.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I would hold out for the 7G-Tronic auto
Recon like the last of the Duetto's  (2000 & 2006 ) A/S have had a deal on the 'old stock'
Depends on what you want though but the 7G should keep its value better I think!
On another subject I see that 'Cotswold' still have their new non- Auto Topaz available.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Other than counting gear changes what is the way to confirm it is 7speed?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:28 pm

If you ring Mercedes customer services - number in your handbook - ( and here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) with your vin and or reg number they will tell you exactly the spec of your chassis.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.  I found them very helpful when I first got my Merc and had questions.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Yes you do have to be slightly careful with what is included and what isn't, when our van arrived I couldn't find the listed steering wheel adjustment, it was on the spec sheet. The van didn't have it, A/S specified chassis doesn't have that facility, they soon removed it from the brochure! Irony is I would have willingly paid the extra £80 to have it added.

It is worth looking at the Mercedes option list before ordering if you want something extra, for example we wanted heated cab seats, not shown as an option by A/S but we just asked Marquis who had a chassis ordered with then fitted, worked for us. allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 am

I have e-mailed A/S to ask what gearbox is fitted to the vehicles and will post the answer once received. I have been given a build date of late March by the dealer.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 pm

I have received back from A/S a reply to my query about the Auto box on the Bourton which I have on order and the sales director Dave Williams has confirmed that it will be fitted with the 7 speed auto box, my thanks go out to Mr Williams and A/S for the very prompt reply.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Peter Brown wrote:If you ring Mercedes customer services - number in your handbook - ( and here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) with your vin and or reg number they will tell you exactly the spec of your chassis.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.  I found them very helpful when I first got my Merc and had questions.

Peter
Hi Peter, well, I contacted Mercedes (twice) and they won't talk to me without proof of ownership (sales receipt or V5) and proof of 'me' with a copy of passport.  shrugg 

Strooth, I am not trying to pinch it otherwise I would have asked for details of the alarm not the basic spec. So, given up with all that flipping malarkey, can't be doing with it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 pm

That is so contrary to my experience.  

I called them three or four times.  One topic was about how the warranty worked in the third year in mainland Europe as the third year was only given by Mercedes UK.  The next topic was the emission category.  It is not shown on my V5 and I needed evidence for the Austrian Highway authority - a long story.  Finally the van decided it needed a service just before the ASOC National Rally and shortly after that I was going to China for a month so I wanted confirmation that I would not be in breach of warranty by exceeding the number of days the van gave me to get it serviced.

For all topics I gave them vin number to identify the vehicle and they talked to me freely, giving all the information I needed.

Either you hit someone on an off day or they have introduced a new security policy.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm

My experience with enquiries to Mercedes was the same as Peter's.  I also enquired about the 3rd year warranty which applies to UK only, and how it would work overseas.  I also visited the Mercedes main agent in Helsinki to get evidence of the Euro rating prior to going into Poland, and they provided a printed copy of the full spec for my motorhome base without charge and with cheerful and excellent customer service.  I can't quite understand why you had problems with your call.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:24 am

I can't either but I am happy to fwd the mail. I only asked for the spec as supplied to auto Sleeper, gave vin and reg and the first time they came back to say they wouldn't supply service history without I.d. And when I went back and said I know the service history because I have had it from new! I want to know the basic vehicle spec as supplied, auto box gear numbers etc the came back again and said need I.d. before responding. 
Well, can't be bothered mucking about sending people I don't know and who don't need, copies of my passport  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:19 am

Jaytee, your last post suggests that you e-mailed rather than called them as we did. That could be the difference.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 am

Peter Brown wrote:Jaytee, your last post suggests that you e-mailed rather than called them as we did.  That could be the difference.

Peter

Good point, will try a call. Thanks  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next