The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

traveling to france

+6
modelman
roli
burlingtonboaby
Dutto
richardstubbs
drolands245
10 posters

Go down

traveling to france Empty traveling to france

Post by drolands245 Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:25 am

good morning

our 1 st trip to france is planned for the end of the month ,normandy region ,just trying to get an idea of what i may need   ??ie breakdown cover ,,insurance etc ?? any advice and any recomendations

regards dave
drolands245
drolands245

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : renault rapport

Back to top Go down

traveling to france Empty Re: traveling to france

Post by richardstubbs Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Dave and welcome. We've travelled quite extensively in France and lived there for nearly 8 years, so hope I can help.

As far as breakdown cover goes, I can't really help I'm afraid - my vans have always been too old to qualify, so I've taken loads of tools and the difficult to get spares with me. So far so good... But lots of people recommend the German breakdown company ADAC. RAC, AA etc all do it though, if your van is new enough.

Motor insurance - your existing policy should cover you. All motor insurance policies sold in the EU are supposed to automatically cover you in all of the EU. But it may be to the minimum required by law - in France this is roughly equivalent to third party only - so worth checking your policy. You may be able to get full EU cover just by letting the company or broker know when you're going or you may have to pay a little extra. Depends on the insurance company and whether you think it's worth it.

Health insurance - don't. That's my advice, although many people do take it out. What you MUST get though is an EHIC - a European Health Insurance Card. It's free - don't believe all the websites offering to get it for a fee - from the NHS directly here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

The EHIC entitles you to healthcare on the same basis as a French citizen, which means you have to contribute a small amount for routine care but emergency care is free (except for meal costs and single room supplements). The only thing you don't get is repatriation.

You have to carry your documents with you at all times, that is licence, insurance and registration document, and be able to produce them to a gendarme (policeman with a gun!) on demand. If you are stopped, DO NOT get out of the vehicle unless asked, produce all your documents and they'll probably be very polite and courteous.

You need a warning triangle and enough fluorescent vests for each occupant, which must be kept inside the vehicle and actually used if you break down. You are now supposed to have a breathalyser in the car! You can buy them from supermarkets for about €1 but apparently there's no penalty for not having one, although I haven't tested that. You should put beam converters on your headlamps because it's rude not to. You DON'T need spare bulbs whatever anyone says, but it's sensible to carry them anyway because, unlike here, you can't continue your journey with a blown bulb. Buy them from the first supermarket you stop at though, not the ferry port.

You should be aware of the rules of the road, especially "priorité a droite" which most British people are unaware of. This states that, in the absence of any other regulation, vehicles emerging from the right have priority. Yes, that's right, people are allowed to pull out of side roads in front of you! It mostly applies to country roads and town centres though, but be aware - if there isn't a sign then it applies. The signs are summarised near the bottom of this page: http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/biker-friendly-bed-and-breakfast-in-normandy-sarthe-french-traffic-signs-highway-code-etc/ I can't stress enough how important this is - so many people don't really believe it, and the resultant accidents ruin lots of holidays.

Recommendations - relax, have a great time. France is excellent for motorhomes. Look out for this sign:

traveling to france Pic6
which denotes an "Aire de service camping-car" - mostly free, usually with parking nearby which you can stay overnight or longer at - check the signs. You can buy a book of 'aires' in either English or French - look at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aires+france&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aaires+france - get it before you go, it will be worth every penny. Don't overnight at the ones on the autoroute though (they're horrible and dangerous) - turn off at the next junction and stop in the first nice village you come to!

In general you can park anywhere that parking is not specifically prohibited for up to 48 hours. Don't dismiss campsites either; they're often cheap and excellent, although lots will be closed now, as the season is over in France.

Hope some of this is useful, and have a great time!

Richard.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi there,

Three tips pertinent to crossing the channel.

Before you go:

1)  Get your EHIC Card.  It is FREE from this site https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do you will need the NI or NHS Number for all applicants.

2)  Have a plan of where you are going and what you want to see.  Then go to this site for whichever area you decide to visit http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccib.php?pays=FRANCE I recommend that you use the Aires.  Most of them are free and we have been using them for years with no trouble whatsoever.

When you get there:

1)  Drive on the right!!

Now go and enjoy the experience.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

traveling to france Empty Re-Traveling to France

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington, another gray day fedup 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Most important thing is --- enjoy your trip France was made for motorhomers
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 am

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 am

Hi drolands245

Welcome to the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:31 pm

If you are in the Caravan Club the Red Pennant breakdown insurance is the best, they really look after you whilst the vehicle is fixed or repatriated - not cheap though. No need to add their travel insurance option as previously stated.

I've been the last week in Brittany and its is stuffed full of French motorhomes. We are moving into Normandy tomorrow on the way back north and hope they retreat this weekend to give some space for the rest of us.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 pm

My priority is always Health Insurance to cover repatriation in the event of the worst thing you can think of (not sore finger sudo emergencies).... it's pretty cheap considering the relief for your wife or partner that someone will make the arrangements... sorry to be morbid but consider the average age of us who go abroad.
Keep smiling..
Rich..  up!
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:31 am

There's no harm in health insurance, and lots of people take it out. It's just not essential, not like if you visit the States for example.

When my dad, then 72, broke a tendon in his knee when visiting us in France and needed emergency surgery the health care under the EHIC scheme was absolutely fantastic. After we told the insurance company off on the phone (they weren't going to pay anything) his travel insurance paid out a few hundred quid in sundries (buying crutches, single room supplement etc) and repatriated him. But the repatriation was three seats on RyanAir; we had to get him to the airport and one of his friends had to pick him up, and RyanAir were absolutely horrible to him, to the extent that he now refuses to use them.

When we looked at the amount he'd spent on travel insurance it was clear that, especially as it's more difficult to get and more expensive the older he gets, it simply wasn't worth it. Better to put the money you would spend on it in the bank and take a credit card with you just in case. He's never bought travel insurance since.

We live in Wales now. Dad still comes to visit, and if any harm should befall him the train from here would cost about the same as the plane from France. But you wouldn't think of travel insurance for that!

Certainly, if you are travelling outside the EU or to somewhere further / poorer / more difficult to get back from then insurance makes perfect sense. But Normandy? A waste of money, in my experience anyway.

As for the idea that someone else (I assume the insurance) will make the arrangements, especially if 'the worst' should happen - they won't I'm afraid. They want whoever is there to do everything for them and send them the paperwork when they will decide if they're going to pay the claim. That was our experience anyway.

But don't take any notice of me, I'd hate for anyone to take this advice and then come a cropper traveling to france 289367827

Richard.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 am

Hi there,

Not wishing to be morbid but I'm pretty sure that they have cemeteries and crematoriums in most places so wherever either of us cock our clogs is where our bodies will be disposed of.

Paying good money to hump a corpse all the way back to the UK when the money could be spent on a memorial party?  I think not! allthumbz allthumbz 

I like the old tale about Robin Hood.

Lying on his death-bed Robin demanded that Friar Tuck bring him his faithful bow and an arrow.

Sitting up for the last time he bade his Merry Men open the window on the far side of the room, notched an arrow into the bow, pulled back the cord and bid his followers "Bury me where the arrow lands." so they buried him on top of the wardrobe.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Ian,

Great to hear the old Robin Hood story again. I have been telling it to the kids (10 and 11 year olds mostly) that visit my Outdoor Centre over the last 30 years when we do archery.

Also tell them how the V sign was invented. Whistle1 

Never sure wether they believe me or just humour me as an old codger. hugegrins 

I thought I was the only one still telling the tale.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:42 am

Davy,

goneoff  but .....

..... great that the kids can get the Robin Hood joke but there are loads of other old jokes that pass straight by anyone under sixty!tap_fingers 

Examples are anything to do with outside toilets, tin baths, copper boilers, national service etc etc etc.  Whistle1 

Now to get back on topic!  up! 

The good news is that in France they can still understand many of them and they appreciate an earthy sense of humour!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum