The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost

+2
-mojo-
AlanT
6 posters

Go down

GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost Empty GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost

Post by AlanT Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:02 pm

I fitted a tracker a few months ago with a Vodafone PAYG Sim and it works nicely except all my credit seemed to get used although I was making little use of it.  After a couple of top ups which again disappeared I queried the usage with Vodafone who told me that credit on all new sim cards expires after 30 days and invited me to find another provider but as a "gesture of goodwill" would restore my previous top up to my sim.

I'm told by Carphone Warehouse that all mobile operators now follow this practice as a means of discouraging PAYG phones. 

I intend to pursue Vodafone for a refund for selling under false pretences, for there is nothing in their literature to indicate this expiry,  but in the meantime has anyone else encountered this and found a solution?

Is the only answer a contract?
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost Empty Re: GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost

Post by -mojo- Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:45 pm

A contract would seem to be a very expensive way to go, compared with any PAYG setup that I've used - though I confess I've never tried a tracker - I'm just going by my phone & text costs.

I vaguely recall that this policy was in the news last year and that all of the PAYG providers should be expected to back down if challenged, as it's either an unfair contract term or an inadequately publicised "feature", but I'm afraid I can't recall the details now.

Is there no way that you can force the tracker to make an outgoing call once a month?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 pm

What you could consider is PAYG but with automatic top up when the credit gets to X£, top up by Y£.  We do this with Liz's mobile and its just like her having a contract

This is with O2 bye the way.   My APRS system in the van  is via a 3 MiFi unit/Raspberry Pi and I just do the same

Last edited by roli on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Is there no way that you can force the tracker to make an outgoing call once a month?
I don't think that would help. I think that the OP is saying that Vodafone wipe off any unused credit after 30 days.
Three are currently advertising their 3-2-1 PAYG which does not have a 30 day rule. Neithet does my wife's Orange payg which has used aboht £30 in 6 years!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi there,

I fell out with Orange when they removed £65 from my PAYG account in one afternoon last year!! However, my good wife had £5 on her phone and it is still "active" as we only use it for emergencies!

Maybe the answer is to find an old PAYG phone from Orange and use the SIM from it!

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 pm

inspiredron wrote: I think that the OP is saying that Vodafone wipe off any unused credit after 30 days.
Seriously? Why would anyone pay for a **** PAYG service like that?

If it's true and all PAYG services are heading that way then I sincerely hope that I never lose my phone - if so, the SIM is worth more than the phone!

I've just checked the T&C's of my PAYG provider (Ikea Family Mobile) for ~new~ customers, and it makes no reference to unused credit expiring after 30 days, other than any free bonus credit that is awarded to you.

If Voda really do wipe unused credit after 30 days then please vote with your feet. I did that when they put their text costs up from 8p/text to 12p/text - I now pay 4p/text with Ikea!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:04 am

I have a tracker on PAYG. I have a "Lebara" simcard fitted, which was recommended by the supplier. The credit does not expire. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I think each SMS costs 12p and it also works abroad.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down

GPS Tracker SIM Card Credit Lost Empty More Confusion

Post by AlanT Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Well, I contacted Vodafone's "Thinking Of Leaving Us" section last night and was given a different story. 

The young lady contradicted what  I had been told previously, saying that credit (and sim) will only expire if no chargeable call is made withing a 90 day period, which is extended to 180 days for the first occurrence.  She said that does expire after 30 days was the "Freebee" packs which give a number of free calls & data when a top up is purchased.  She was quite adamant about this.

When I asked where my credit had gone, she said that if the sim was configured to send data messages, then it would check once daily for an internet connection for which a charge of £1 is made.  Hence my credit would be used.

Coincidentally, last week I changed my tracker config from data to sms only, as I hadn't felt confidence in the data mechanism, and the Vodafone lady confirmed my credit remained at last week's level.

Mixed messages, so I propose to wait and see what happens once a further month has expired and whether or not my credit goes with it.

Thanks, Journeyman, I have had a look at Lebara who say "For a Lebara SIM card to remain active, you will need to make a chargeable call or send a chargeable SMS within 70 days of your last chargeable call or chargeable SMS. If no chargeable call is made or chargeable SMS sent, your SIM card will expire"  Better than 30 days, but easily exceeded when my van's in secure storage over the winter.

Best Wishes.
Alan
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I visit my van every few days, so thats not really applicable to me. I think its just a case of a switch off and on of the tracker unit, every 60days....easy job. The Tracker supplier recommended them also because of the low cost of sms if your travelling abroad.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down