The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You couldn't make it up

+6
cuke
Shubberdog
Dutto
ubuntu1
Blossom
johnandeva
10 posters

Go down

You couldn't make it up Empty You couldn't make it up

Post by johnandeva Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Have you seen the story in the papers this morning about a couple who had their caravan stolen, apparently it was found with a family of gypsies living in it, the police have told them they cannot turf them out of it because it would breach their human rights, they wont even tell them where it was found, is your blood boiling yet because mine is, johnandeva censored! censored! censored! censored! censored! censored! censored! censored!
johnandeva
johnandeva

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

You couldn't make it up Empty Re: You couldn't make it up

Post by Blossom Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:45 pm

This is just totally beyond me. Sometimes I get the feeling that the police are reluctant to confront errant members of the gypsy community. tap_fingers tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

You couldn't make it up Empty grr

Post by ubuntu1 Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Its beyond me, surely if you pinch a caravan then you forgo your human rights. I just don't understand the logic here at all.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi there,

I normally support Grumpy Old Men moans like this but ...... wave 

.....  we don't know enough about the circumstances!!  wave 

Imagine, a greedy git of a landlord upping the rent and evicting me for non-payment, an unfeeling employer firing me due to a downturn in the trade and a government Jobsworth deciding that I wasn't eligible for benefits.

So with my wife, two children and myself living out in a ditch somewhere all I can say is "Just watch me!" up! 

I would nick anything that would alleviate the suffering caused to my family by elements that are not within my control and not of my own choosing!allthumbz 

May I presume that this story was heavily reported in the Daily Mail and/or the Daily Express with the usual maximisation of "shock-horror" and minimisation of "background information" (aka 'reality')?look here look here look here 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

PS  The greedy landlord, the unfeeling employer and the Jobsworth deciding that I was not eligible for benefits have all happened to me; fortunately at different times in my life and therefore without catastrophic consequences.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 am

ubuntu1 wrote:Its beyond me, surely if you pinch a caravan then you forgo your human rights. I just don't understand the logic here at all.

That would be unfair to all hard working thieves all over the country
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

You couldn't make it up Empty Red tops

Post by cuke Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Dutto wrote:

May I presume that this story was heavily reported in the Daily Mail and/or the Daily Express with the usual maximisation of "shock-horror" and minimisation of "background information" (aka 'reality')?look here look here look here 

Had to check this and, Yup, there it was in the Mail & Express  - along with a list of 'Related stories' such as:

Park Lane gypsies back with a vengeance – just THREE DAYS after being turfed out by police
Human rights claim halts gypsy eviction in Lancashire
Villagers are left in limbo over gypsy encampment
London's Marble Arch gypsies vow: We will be back

·  Number of travellers' caravans leapt under Labour
·  The 'concentration camp' conditions at traveller site Greenacres
·  Traveller family guilty of forced labour

Spot a theme here? 

This is not to say that I do not sympathise with the couple in question, but similar stories appear regularly in these papers, all highlighting the occasional negative cases and totally ignoring any (usually the majority) positive stories - so the reader is (deliberately) left with the impression that (a) all foreigners [travellers, people on the political left...] are dangerous and that (b) the authorities can only wring their hands in the face of 'balmy' legislation (usually from Europe) or 'political correctness gone mad'.

Sigh...

Last edited by cuke on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : souce (html) coding disrupting meaning)
cuke
cuke

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:43 pm

What about the poor * Inappropriate Word * who had his van nicked, what about HIS human rights.

Sorry, but I can't STAND these so called 'travellers', they come round the drive almost daily, eyeing-up all the properties, they don't miss a thing, last year I saw a transit pick-up full of 'em going round & round, so I made myself prominent as they came round yet again & I wrote down the trucks number, they turned around & came flying back to me effing & blinding as to why I was 'clocking' them, 'Do you think we're after your Ifor-Williams trailer or something'
to which I asked them, 'how do you know about that, its hidden round the back, out of sight' !!!

More expletives & they drove off.... 

I later sold the trailer before I was relieved of it, 'cos sure as god made little green apples, the b*****ds would have had it away.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm

modelman wrote:

Sorry, but I can't STAND these so called 'travellers', they come round the drive almost daily,
Nor can I - we get them round here as well every few weeks and I get them ringing the bell to ask if the motorhome is for sale. They always have a post-it note written out with the wording 'if van is for sale ring this number......'. At the door they always say 'if you weren't in, I was going to stick this on the screen' . If I hadn't been in, would the van still be there on my return?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Paulmold wrote:
modelman wrote:

Sorry, but I can't STAND these so called 'travellers', they come round the drive almost daily,
Nor can I - we get them round here as well every few weeks and I get them ringing the bell to ask if the motorhome is for sale. They always have a post-it note written out with the wording 'if van is for sale ring this number......'. At the door they always say 'if you weren't in, I was going to stick this on the screen' . If I hadn't been in, would the van still be there on my return?
We live at the end of a dead end lane it stops at our house and we still get them, a few weeks ago three of them arrived in a car, luckily I was around and went to see what they wanted, they started asking questions about my horse trailer, what model was it was it for sale and could they have a look at it. the answer was no to all the questions they started to get a bit stroppy when I said they could not look around it and could not understand that if it was not for sale then there was no point in them looking around it.That afternoon I moved it to the bottom of my garden to an area that is completely out of sight, removed all the wheels and fitted a hitch lock.
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Shubberdog wrote:
Paulmold wrote:
modelman wrote:

We live at the end of a dead end lane it stops at our house and we still get them, a few weeks ago three of them arrived in a car, luckily I was around and went to see what they wanted, they started asking questions about my horse trailer, what model was it was it for sale and could they have a look at it. the answer was no to all the questions they started to get a bit stroppy when I said they could not look around it and could not understand that if it was not for sale then there was no point in them looking around it.That afternoon I moved it to the bottom of my garden to an area that is completely out of sight, removed all the wheels and fitted a hitch lock.
Hmm, better watch out, its on their 'radar' now!!
The fella I sold mine to, told me it was to replace an identical one to mine that he had nicked, it had a hitch-lock, wheels off & was chained to an RSJ IN FULL SIGHT OF HIS BEDROOM WINDOW!!
The scumbags had brought their own wheels & gas-axed the chain & lock, WHILE HE SLEPT, got to give them their due, they're good, VERY good

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Gents,

Be very very careful, there are people on this forum who actually sympathize with these lowlife.    60% of crime committed in Cambridge is carried out by them, and the Police are running scared of taking action against them.

Wait until all their relatives (or tribesmen) flood in from Romania and Bulgaria, their own governments, including Southern Ireland, are glad to see the backs of them.

We are so stupid. shrugg 

Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:17 pm

andygump wrote:..................
  60% of crime committed in Cambridge is carried out by them, and the Police are running scared of taking action against them.

Andy
Andy,

Whenever I make a statement I try to back it up with the relevant "Reference" be it Internet, Newspaper or BBC Programme.

Could you please let me know where you got the "60%" figure from?

Also, coud you please narrow it down to the type of "crime" that they are committing? e.g. murder, manslaughter, GBH, rape, burglary etc etc.

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:29 am

Hi there,

I had a bit of spare time so I looked up this the latest crime statistics for Cambridge North.

With a population of 34,880 people, within the last twelve months, the highest levels of recorded crime each month are as follows:

o  One act of Anti-Social behaviour per 217 people (June 2012 @ 161).

o  One act of Burglary per 969 people (October 2012 @ 36).

o  One act of Robbery per 8,720 people (June 2012 @ 4).

o  One Vehicle related crime per 1,163 people (April 2012 @ 30).

o  One act of Violence per 830 people (April 2012 @ 42).

o  One unspecified crime per 231 people (June 2012 @ 151).

During the highest month (June 2012 @ 378) the people of Cambridge North had just over a 1% chance of being involved in ANY sort of crime.

In view of the demographics of Cambridge (i.e. thousands of students and millions of visitors in any given year) I think these figures are amazingly low.

Compare these figures with Detroit in the USA where the crime rate FELL by 10% in 2012 and the population still had a higher than 2% chance of being murdered, raped, robbed or suffering an aggravated assault!

This is more than five times the US national average and has won Detroit the title of America's Most dangerous City for the fourth year in a row!

Those damned gypsies of Detroit eh?  Tearing around in their caravans shooting up the place.lol4 lol4 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

References:

http://www.ukcrimestats.com
http://www.forbes.com

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:35 pm

HI Ian,
          Yes that 60% is maybe a guess. But the crimes they commit are not recorded. They don't get caught.
You should see the mess over the large area next to the river in town. That was only about half a dozen staying for a few days.Us council tax payers will pick up the bill.
You will be seeing a few when you go down France.Don't stay near them.
i have first hand experience here and abroad as to what goes on.
drive safe and take a dog if you can.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Mike,

I'm sorry but I cannot possibly agree.

The only times I have been robbed have been:

The business partner that stole six months of my work as his own and walked away with the equivalent of £50,000.

The American business man who told me he "made every decision on his knees before God" and subsequently reneged on a £75,000 contract leaving me to pay the people we had employed out of my own pocket.

I cannot bring myself to despise or warn people against ALL English businessmen or ALL American Baptists; because I still include a few of them amongst my friends.

Similarly, I cannot bring myself to believe that ALL gypsies are thieves or charlatans as I just don't have it in me; but I know a man who did, his name was Adolf something or other!!

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:19 am

Hi Ian, Well we can all quote examples,but i am not going down that route.
I was talking about travellers.not gypsies.
regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down