The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should have gone to Sp----ers again??

+4
Peterm
Dutto
DuxDeluxe
LobbyLudd
8 posters

Go down

Should have gone to Sp----ers  again?? Empty Should have gone to Sp----ers again??

Post by LobbyLudd Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 pm

I believe it was around 1968 when NASA finally put those men on the moon but since then we seem to still have those infuriating tiny little screws that hold spectacle frames together.   Each visit to the famous high st opticians results in me being talked into the 'second pair' half price deal by that nice young lady advising you at close quarters 'now that style really suits your features'
Yes yet again a few months goes by and one of the darned srews drops out . (Is this why the 'two pairs special offer' is always so eagerly sold to me)cleanglasses

Is there a set time that these tiny screws are guaranteed to drop out by the makers and in most cases impossible to find. Surely technology could find a better method of assembly in this day and age !!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Should have gone to Sp----ers  again?? Empty Re: Should have gone to Sp----ers again??

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Loctite works for me... They never do it again. Just got a BOGOF deal from Tesco with some varifocals and at last have a pair of prescription sunglasses.

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Should have gone to Sp----ers  again?? Empty Re: Should have gone to Sp----ers again??

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am

Hi there,

My last specs problem was when the lady serving my wife insisted that she tighten the screws on my specs.  I was only there because we were out shopping together and sure enough, a week later a lens fell out!!

"GO Loctite" ever since!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS

Despite the vandalism involved I still chuckle at some graffiti written on the seat of a local bus.

The usual "Nelly loves John" was scrawled in black ink with "Nelly should have gone to Specsavers" in blue ink underneath!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 pm

The screw never drop out of cheap sunglasses, but really expensive ones have the same problem as really expensive specs.

Capitalism creates the illusion of choice, progress and reliability. They rarely exist for the average buyer on the high street.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:55 pm

A case of built-in obsolescence?
We find those teeny, tiny screwdrivers you sometimes get in Christmas crackers very useful for spec repairs.  With get the Locktite out next time.
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Aldi stores have spectacle repair kits in at the moment, containing screws and screwdriver......

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-specialbuys-16th-june/sunday-specialbuys-16th-june-product-detail/ps/p/spectacle-repair-kit/
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm

I just need reading glasses,and been a bit flash I buy them for £1,then when I sit on them...I push the boat out and get another £1 pair out of the draw.....cheers bling bling Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Unfortunately I am a fashion victim and simply have to have the latest designer specs to enhance my desperate Dan good looks. Ok maybe not........

As long as the frames look ok then they are ok for me.  I did spend a lot on the bit that mattered with some very nice varifocals lenses which are just brilliant. Gosh - club card points as well as a free pair of prescription sunglasses. up!

Still use cheap reading glasses for reading in bed - have been known to fall asleep after a sherbet or twain......content

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Cheap...cheap.I dont think theres anything cheap about a whole pound. hugegrins
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Alright...... "Cheaper" or "more cost effective" or "better value"allthumbz

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:33 pm

HA HA cost effective I like it.. agree3
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:Loctite works for me... They never do it again. Just got a BOGOF deal from Tesco with some varifocals and at last have a pair of prescription sunglasses.
Isn't that a bit drastic ... how do you remove them from the ears having used Loctite to glue them on when you need a new set !!

Ahhhh ... did you mean just gluing the annoying little screws only

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Two comments on specs:

1)  Having lived on a boat for ten years I can tell everyone "The canal and the sea eat everything they can; and this includes spectacles."tap_fingers

2)  NEVER defy an English Springer Spaniel bitch because they are very unforgiving.  I once pushed mine off my knee so that I could have a nap.  The crunching sound I heard in my dreams was actually the sound of Jessica gently chewing on the pair of solid gold Christian Dior framed spectacles I had taken off to have my nap!  I never tried to stop Jessica sitting on me afterwards and I have always bought inexpensive frames ever since; usually from Specsavers!

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Should have gone to Sp----ers  again?? Download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f3085347%5fACxUfbwAATVKT5mxbAbySjNzVMo&pid=2

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:04 pm

LobbyLudd wrote:
DuxDeluxe wrote:Loctite works for me... They never do it again. Just got a BOGOF deal from Tesco with some varifocals and at last have a pair of prescription sunglasses.
Isn't that a bit drastic ... how do you remove them from the ears having used Loctite to glue them on when you need a new set !!

Ahhhh ... did you mean just gluing the annoying little screws only
Brilliant!allthumbz

Ian - yes, we know all about Springers........ Cockers are just as nutty. Currently got two of the in the house - ours (who is mad) and my daughter's (who makes ours look sane). Both really nice dogs, in an unhinged sort of way

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum